2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Ford Racing Cams Installed - WOW!!!!! (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31105)

TheWaterSkier 05-17-2005 09:45 AM

Re: Ford Racing Cams Installed - WOW!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nazman
1999 Mustang Cobra

Naz

Hey Naz, is a 99 Cobra a N/A car (I know nothing of Cobras before the 03/04 model)? Are we comparing apples to apples here with your Cobra and our Machs?

Sam04 05-18-2005 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-townMACH
Ok you guys with the fr500 kit... hows the driveability?? Are these machs yall's daily drivers?? Have yall had any mishaps since the install? It just makes me cringe to think about digging into the motor of my 04 mach. But if this kit, properly installed of course, is just as reliable and dependable as stock,, it may be tempting.

Great... :gears:

The only things I have noticed are a slightly rougher idle, occassionally it is slightly harder to start, and there is a little less torque below 2K.

Nazman 05-18-2005 04:53 AM

rsnider 07-02-2005 07:16 PM

What ever happened?????

Did you make it to the track... what difference did the cams make???

By the way, do you live in a "smog" state? Do you have to run the Mach through emmisions? I've considered the cams, but not sure how much effect they will have on power if I don't want to go with headwork, headers, exhaust, etc.

Besides the very last thing I want is to spend the time and $$ then not have my Mach pass the smog test!!

MachOneThis 07-04-2005 03:09 PM

The cams made a pretty noticeable difference. My mph increased 2-3mph just in the quarter mile. The car now pulls very hard up high. I do have to take the Mach through emissions but I had the car inspected before I put them in so I will have to wait another year before it will be inspected.

mustangmike2003 07-04-2005 03:31 PM

Have you gotten any accurate runs in with them on a good track? How much did they help your ET by?

MachOneThis 07-05-2005 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mustangmike2003
Have you gotten any accurate runs in with them on a good track? How much did they help your ET by?

I have not raced on a well prepped track before. I do plan on racing on a prepped track very very soon though. My best time before the cams was a 12.17 I believe and now I have run 11's all day no matter how hott it is outside. There is more in the car just from the 60'. Majority of my 60' are 1.65-1.68 and still run high 11's.

the stallion 07-19-2005 11:07 PM

How is the idle with these cams? Does the car have a noticeable "lope" now?

-Dan

paul wall 07-20-2005 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the stallion
How is the idle with these cams? Does the car have a noticeable "lope" now?

-Dan

go to the first page of this thread, and there is link to his car at an idle. sounds nice :yeh:

Screamn03 08-01-2005 02:09 AM

I hope I didn't miss it but what did you use for a spring compressor? What make and model? Any pics of it?

TIA,

-Mike-

MachOneThis 08-02-2005 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Screamn03
I hope I didn't miss it but what did you use for a spring compressor? What make and model? Any pics of it?

TIA,

-Mike-

http://www.aglobalmart.com/Mach/tools.jpg

There is a tool for 4v motors and a separate tool for 2v motors. I actually bought both tools. The 2V tool will only get to half the springs on a 4v motor, but was easier to use and sturdier than the 4v tool. The 4v tool should be OK, but I would buy both even if I did it again. I think I paid about $200 for both tools.

Part number for 4v tool is OTC 303-452 (same as T93P-6565-AR)
Part Number for 2v tool is OTC 303-567

OTC is manufacturer. Bought mine online by searching for OTC tool dealers.

james woodrum 08-29-2005 09:55 PM

car sounds great im going to start looking at different cams to install. anyone running a voodoo cam id like input.

ahmach1 09-04-2005 09:05 PM

How much louder did the headers make your car, and how much louder did the headers and cam combo make your car over stock? (I did listen to your file on the first page and it sounds great, but its hard to judge how loud it is.) I'm considering doing headers and a cam, but I don't want to wake the dead. I have a Harley w/ a Crane cam in it and it makes much more noise than I would like.

Art

Hotrodbob 09-04-2005 11:46 PM

I just got a pair of new heads still in the box. I want to get this cam kit. Should I have the heads ported some and who should I go to?

devous1 09-12-2005 10:30 PM

Just curious did you check other available cams, I remember reading a post along time ago. Where another guy removed the FR cams and put in Sean Hyland st2 or something of this nature. Those were the cams I was considering, if I remember right he said they were a whole nother world. I also came across comp cams below.

http://www.powerandperformancenews.c...y_Code=106-CAM

Not to discount yours, congratulations, I have extreme envy, I have tons of tools and strong mechanical ability but I think I'm scared to try it. I'd be afraid to get it back together and the mofo wouldnt start and I would have to have it towed for a fix.

Your car looks and sounds awesome.

devous1 09-13-2005 08:22 PM

MachOneThis, how about this for us sissies. Ever think about making a detailed video on the install. Man I would really love to do this, this winter but I'm worried about doing something incorrect.

If some one made a vid and put it on DVD I would be willing to pay a good price for it. Some one consider it please. :worship:

wake 09-15-2005 03:18 PM

Any chance of a repost of those videos? They seem to be down and the site they are hosted on is under construction. The only video that works is the first one and I wanna hear more :yes:

MachOneThis 09-23-2005 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devous1
MachOneThis, how about this for us sissies. Ever think about making a detailed video on the install. Man I would really love to do this, this winter but I'm worried about doing something incorrect.

If some one made a vid and put it on DVD I would be willing to pay a good price for it. Some one consider it please. :worship:

I wish I would have thought about that....the install was definitely a PITA but was well worth it. We just had a few pictures here and there and that was it, sorry. Good Idea though.

2k4mach 10-20-2005 12:35 PM

hey machone i got a question for ya,
How is the low end torque with the fr500's?
trying to decide between the fr500's and shm stage 1's

Mark

MachOneThis 10-20-2005 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahmach1
How much louder did the headers make your car, and how much louder did the headers and cam combo make your car over stock? (I did listen to your file on the first page and it sounds great, but its hard to judge how loud it is.) I'm considering doing headers and a cam, but I don't want to wake the dead. I have a Harley w/ a Crane cam in it and it makes much more noise than I would like.

Art

The off road x-pipe added more loudness than anything in the exhaust. The headers woke it up in the higher rpms. The cams along with the exhuast have a pretty mean idle - the cams hit enough at idle to shake the car somewhat. Most people do not pull up next to this Mach at a light - they hang back.

MachOneThis 10-20-2005 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotrodbob
I just got a pair of new heads still in the box. I want to get this cam kit. Should I have the heads ported some and who should I go to?

Just clean up the bowl area and gasket match. Be sure to use high flow valves - more flow for the money with high flow valves. We have the valves, but have not installed since we did not remove the heads. Will do a comp valve job and install the valves at a later date.

MachOneThis 10-20-2005 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devous1
Just curious did you check other available cams, I remember reading a post along time ago. Where another guy removed the FR cams and put in Sean Hyland st2 or something of this nature. Those were the cams I was considering, if I remember right he said they were a whole nother world. I also came across comp cams below.

http://www.powerandperformancenews.c...y_Code=106-CAM

Not to discount yours, congratulations, I have extreme envy, I have tons of tools and strong mechanical ability but I think I'm scared to try it. I'd be afraid to get it back together and the mofo wouldnt start and I would have to have it towed for a fix.

Your car looks and sounds awesome.

A lot of good cams out there - I like the Comp offerings and Crane cams. I just went with these because they are somewhat mild, but offer some good gains and a nice idle with a little lope. They have a broad power band - they pull good from 2000 - redline.

MachOneThis 10-20-2005 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wake
Any chance of a repost of those videos? They seem to be down and the site they are hosted on is under construction. The only video that works is the first one and I wanna hear more :yes:

I'll try to check all links in the next few days - thanks,

greygod 02-21-2006 08:33 PM

where is best place to buy fr500 cams's
any group purchases right now on them

MachOneThis 02-27-2006 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverwolf
where is best place to buy fr500 cams's
any group purchases right now on them

I got lucky and found someone selling there kit on this website.