2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Lock-out, missed shifts - Mystery solved? (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39894)

BokBok78 09-23-2011 05:03 PM

Re: Lock-out, missed shifts - Mystery solved?

Whats a better quadrant Fiore or Steeda?
Nevermind just ordered the Steeda and Fiore setup from Lethal Performance.
Great people, they have a discount code for forum's.
Use code svtperf

zinc yellow 06-06-2012 05:45 AM

Guys Help!!!!!! My Mach 1 started to shift crazy yesterday and today. i have a firewall adjuster and im not sure what kind also cable is a mystery it does look like the fiore though. anyway here goes when its cold it shifts fine but then as it warms up it wont go into gear easy. Sometimes it will and but then im going to every gear trying to get it to go in somewhere. Reverse was almost impossible today i do have the freeplay mod also how much tranny fluid should i be running when i pulled it the manual said until it runs out of the trans but that took 4 qts and im running mobil 1 atf. Please gents help im moving this week and I'm needing some guidance Thank you

WNTAMACH1 06-10-2012 07:25 PM

3.2 qts, I'm about to use Mobil 1 ATF as well.

Mustang 04 06-12-2012 11:22 PM

Hello everyone, i'm new to this site so i don't really know what to do. I have a 04 mach1 black with red stripes. Everytime i race or get on it i have a grind going into 2nd, twice it wouldn't go in 2nd at all. Any info will help. Thanks

Mach828 06-13-2012 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang 04 (Post 1492112)
Hello everyone, i'm new to this site so i don't really know what to do. I have a 04 mach1 black with red stripes. Everytime i race or get on it i have a grind going into 2nd, twice it wouldn't go in 2nd at all. Any info will help. Thanks

Welcome. Ditching the stock shifter is what you should do first. That and change the transmission oil.

If your grinding into second at mid to higher rpms, even when you shift it slow, your synchro is going out.

Mustang 04 06-13-2012 11:50 PM

Thanks Mach828, yeah it has a steeda tri ax short throw shifter and i have changed the trans fluid. But if i'm going slow and change into 2nd it will grind like the clutch isn't pushed all the way in sometimes, but if i'm racing or getting on it it grinds 2nd bad everytime. If the rpms is high and i pause for a few seconds going from 1 to 2nd gear it doesn't do it at all. And 2nd gear is the only one i'm having problems with.

ASH302 06-14-2012 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang 04 (Post 1492355)
Thanks Mach828, yeah it has a steeda tri ax short throw shifter and i have changed the trans fluid. But if i'm going slow and change into 2nd it will grind like the clutch isn't pushed all the way in sometimes, but if i'm racing or getting on it it grinds 2nd bad everytime. If the rpms is high and i pause for a few seconds going from 1 to 2nd gear it doesn't do it at all. And 2nd gear is the only one i'm having problems with.

do you have a adj clutch cable kit?

ASh

Mustang 04 06-14-2012 09:24 AM

No i don't have the kit

ASH302 06-14-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mustang 04 (Post 1492416)
No i don't have the kit

might be a good ideal to get one, they do help, but it could be other things also, but be worth getting one of those kits

ASh

Mach828 06-14-2012 10:34 AM

If I was you I'd start saving up to get your transmission rebuilt. I would just do new bearings, seals, and new synchros all around. If you pull the transmission yourself, and have a local builder do the work, then it isn't too expensive (<$1,000). Throw in a new disc clutch as well.

If it was an issue with the clutch cable, clutch, quadrant, etc, then you'd be having issues in all of your gears.

In the mean time, 2nd gear roll races FTW haha.

Mustang 04 06-14-2012 12:42 PM

@Txmach302, Thanks I will try that first. @Mach828 thanks i was kinda hoping it wasn't the trans but the thought of the 2nd gear syncro never left my mind. But I will try the adj cable first just to be sure,

Runcnc 11-27-2012 12:29 PM

finally did this mod over the weekend & love the way my car shifts now.
no more lockout and can actually feel when my clutch is disengaged .

If you're on the fence on doing this mod just do it,you will be happy you did.

04dsgMACHONE 01-02-2013 11:16 AM

Got the Fiore quadrant and FWA for Christmas, really hoping it does the trick it really sucks not being able to blast 1st to 2nd without worrying about it. Makes my 4.30s obsolete because I can't enjoy them!

I also have had a squeaky TOB since I got it a couple years ago, and have some kind of scratching noise while in 5th gear that I can tell is coming from the transmission.

Jayd08 12-03-2013 08:06 PM

My cousin and I replaced all the brakes and rotor and I added tire pressure to the max and my car engine stopped shaking and the shifting improved with a new clutch cable. It already had all the adjustable kit installed. So now I have extra parts.

04dsgMACHONE 12-13-2013 08:25 AM

Now that the semester is over I finally plan on putting these parts in. Lately though my car has not done the lockout even running it through first.

04dsgMACHONE 01-06-2014 10:39 AM

I think I'm going to go ahead and install this this week. Any particular installation video/thread I should use? Anything else I need to know before jumping in?

Mach828 01-06-2014 10:52 AM

^^ What parts are you installing?

04dsgMACHONE 01-06-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach828 (Post 1569954)
^^ What parts are you installing?

Fiore clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster.

Mach828 01-06-2014 11:48 AM

I had issues with the Fiore quadrant. I couldn't get it to align right and the cable would rub against the sides of the quadrant over time and contribute to breaking the cable. I've since switched to a Ford double hook and haven't had any issues. I'd find some washers of various sizes to try and line the quadrant up the best you can. I don't think the angle of the Fiore is good enough to secure the cable tightely so it doesn't move side to side.

The firewall adjuster is nice. Just sucks trying to drill the holes to mount it. Hope you have a very small drill that can fit between the firewall and valve cover. If not, it will be impossible to install.

I would have purchased a new cable. I like the FRPP adjustable cable best. You will need to modify the cable in order for it to work with the firewall adjuster.

04dsgMACHONE 01-06-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach828 (Post 1569963)
I had issues with the Fiore quadrant. I couldn't get it to align right and the cable would rub against the sides of the quadrant over time and contribute to breaking the cable. I've since switched to a Ford double hook and haven't had any issues. I'd find some washers of various sizes to try and line the quadrant up the best you can. I don't think the angle of the Fiore is good enough to secure the cable tightely so it doesn't move side to side.

The firewall adjuster is nice. Just sucks trying to drill the holes to mount it. Hope you have a very small drill that can fit between the firewall and valve cover. If not, it will be impossible to install.

I would have purchased a new cable. I like the FRPP adjustable cable best. You will need to modify the cable in order for it to work with the firewall adjuster.

Wow, sounds much more complicated than I thought. Might wait to tackle this then. Right now the motivation is very little as it has not had any lockout problems in a good while.

Mach828 01-06-2014 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04dsgMACHONE (Post 1569964)
Wow, sounds much more complicated than I thought. Might wait to tackle this then. Right now the motivation is very little as it has not had any lockout problems in a good while.

Takes a fair amount of modification/fabrication for it all to work. Its no plug and play 1hr project. Will need lots of beer to ease the frustration.

88BlkStngGT 07-11-2014 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach! Schnell! (Post 1260455)
I see the subject of tranny fluids has been beat to death and I don't expect fluids to be miracle cures, but I figure it's worth posting Tremec's latest recommendations for the newcomers (like me).

1. Tremec does not recommend GM sychromesh in the 3650.
2. Tremec says they have evaluated RP and quote "do not use RP Synchromax in the 3650" . "It has more additives than ATF and those additives will eat the blocker rings". It may shift better for awhile, but it will hurt in the long run.
3. What do they recommend? Mobil 1 synth ATF.

I'm draining the Synchromax that I just paid $60 for and putting in Mobil 1 + Lucas this weekend.

Update to this thread:
I've been in an ongoing conversation with Tony @ Astroperformance: Tremec says use GM synchromesh in the 3650. Definitely.

not a gt 07-11-2014 04:45 PM

I have had the complete Steeda set up for awhile now with zero issues (cable, quadrant and adjuster). I was running RP in 3650 but it stunk and could smell it in the car (old thread), I think I have Pennzoil in there now but I forgot, it takes a syn fluid??

04dsgMACHONE 05-16-2017 12:13 PM

4 years later I got around to installing my fiore fwa and quadrant. Was finishing installing a new clutch in the car along with the quadrant (didn't want to attempt the fwa yet due to what sounded like a pain of an install) and noticed after getting everything back together that I had too much slack in the cable.

Firewall adjuster was no fun to install. Almost no clearance due to the valve cover. Almost better to screw in the second piece prior to screwing in the mount to the firewall because otherwise the valve cover will practically interfere with the knob. Not a fan of the small Phillips head screws included with the kit either. I was only able to drill out the two already existing holes before breaking the drill bit. Almost no clearance to drill holes there and that was after buying a 90 degree 3/8" air drill just for this.

When I get a new bit I will add at least one more screw but for now it's only working with two.

DSG2003Mach1 05-16-2017 12:19 PM

2 bolts seem to work just fine, mines been that way forever. The single bolt piece from MM I had a loooong time ago did not, got flex/creak @ the firewall from that