2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ask A Police Officer (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45012)

bmeeks 01-04-2011 10:22 AM

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unrealford (Post 1347665)
Recieved a ticket today, I was speeding and when I got pulled over I tried talking my way out of ticket, Instead of speeding he gave me a ticket of
Failure to follow a traffic control device .
He did not state any speed or any infraction
My question is. Will this ticket be expensive and what usually happens in this case?
Thanks Shawn

in maryland it's considered a moving violation.

so with that in mind, new york says that all moving violations are assessed 2 points upon conviction, except for certain violations. the table that has these other violations can be found at http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/license.htm scroll down and you'll see a white box with a bunch of violations listed

hope that helps

markthenarc 02-03-2011 08:51 AM

" Police are exempt from Motor Vehicle Law while in the performance of their duty."[/QUOTE]

True, but not entirely. I must mention "Due Regard." Yes we can speed and go through red lights, but if done without due regard for safety, Internal affairs will have something to say.

jasionox666x 02-19-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unrealford (Post 1347665)
Recieved a ticket today, I was speeding and when I got pulled over I tried talking my way out of ticket, Instead of speeding he gave me a ticket of
Failure to follow a traffic control device .
He did not state any speed or any infraction
My question is. Will this ticket be expensive and what usually happens in this case?
Thanks Shawn

I got one of those here in PA, cost me 101 dollars total (30 dollar fine and all those extra charges and ****), no points, just the money.

Was just in PA though

JimsZ 06-04-2011 07:00 PM

I would like to know what the hell is going through the head of police officers anymore... I know there are some good cops out there, but you definitely see the bad ones in the news alot anymore.

See these stories, just local to me so I'm sure there are LOTS more out there

http://www.fox59.com/news/crime/wxin...,2135973.story

http://www.fox59.com/news/crime/wxin...,4809160.story

http://www.therepublic.com/view/loca...ers_6_30_2010/

Do I live in the only area in the world where police officers are no better than those they're arresting?

bmeeks 06-05-2011 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsZ (Post 1395350)
Do I live in the only area in the world where police officers are no better than those they're arresting?

nope, ur not the only one.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...QIH_story.html

JimsZ 06-06-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acreature (Post 1395437)
The bad ones are the only ones that get reported. When all you see and here on the news is what you've linked, that's all you'll believe.

The News reports what will get them ratings.

This was what, within a couple weeks time? I think it's rediculous. These posts. Murder, theft, stolen goods, drug charges (planting evidence).

I'd bet there are alot of guys in prison cheering right now that this cop got busted trying to plant drugs (everyone he's arrested/investigated will be getting released and probably suing the hell out of the city/state)

shadowmaker 06-06-2011 01:00 PM

This happened about 50 miles from me.

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/288225

04VAMach1 06-06-2011 01:51 PM

There's bad apples in every profession. Do we ridicule the entire service industry for a few incidents of poor service? How about bad truck drivers when we hear about a crash involving a truck?

Or on the flip side, how about the police officers that I saw changing a tire on the side of the road while the motorist took car of her child? How about the waitress that goes out of her way to greet her customers with a smile, despite having been on her feet all day dealing with unappreciative customers? How about the truck driver that let you merge when nobody else would?

The bad examples always get more publicity than the good ones. Doing a job well simply doesn't make the newspaper.

acreature 06-06-2011 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsZ (Post 1395731)
This was what, within a couple weeks time? I think it's rediculous. These posts. Murder, theft, stolen goods, drug charges (planting evidence).

I'd bet there are alot of guys in prison cheering right now that this cop got busted trying to plant drugs (everyone he's arrested/investigated will be getting released and probably suing the hell out of the city/state)

Two of the ones you linked are "former", not current. FYI.

lightninwithin5 10-25-2011 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karma_Energy (Post 493576)
Actually I believe you can protect property in VA....let me find the link

I believe you are thinking of Castle Doctrine, you cannot protect property from harm, only human life. However, anything he could use to harm your mach could also be use harm you...

Also, if he was to show intent and capacity to inflict serious harm to you (or anything that could be interpreted as such) then it is acceptable to inform him, in a manner not intended to further inflame the situation, that you are armed and capable of self defense.

While brandishing is illegal, scratching an itch or, yawning and stretching your arm are not. Of course you wouldn't want your weapon to show while you did either of those things...

lightninwithin5 10-25-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karma_Energy (Post 493631)
I strongly disagree....I might give a warning shot....But if my intent is to shoot him....I am shooting to kill....I am not going to be sued (and lose) by a guy who I crippled because he wanted come at me with a knife or (recent news) is beating a homeless guy to death w/ a bat.

:mrt:

I suggest trainning to fire two center of mass and one to the head. That is how I trained and that I how I will engage. I don't believe any US police departments fire warnig shots, or have in the last 40 years. Why should you?

JimsZ 11-30-2011 11:41 AM

Why is it that ALL COPS always ask the same question

"Do you know how fast you were going?" when they are the ones with the Calibrated laser/radar guns...

Had I known I was going as fast as he says, I wouldn't have stopped but kept it to the floor! :headbang:

acreature 11-30-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimsZ (Post 1442079)
Why is it that ALL COPS always ask the same question

"Do you know how fast you were going?" when they are the ones with the Calibrated laser/radar guns...

Had I known I was going as fast as he says, I wouldn't have stopped but kept it to the floor! :headbang:

There's this thing called a speedometer in your car. Believe it or not, it tells you how fast you are going, and it sits in front of you where you can see it.

It's less of a question about your actual speed, and more of a question about your honesty.

WhiteautoMach 11-30-2011 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acreature (Post 1442100)
It's less of a question about your actual speed, and more of a question about your honesty.

And if you are honest the cop creams you for that speed! So what do you say?

Thunderbolt 12-01-2011 12:01 AM

It's a loaded question. Just like when they ask if you mind if they can search your car. They're gonna search it no matter what you say. I've never gotten off on a speeding ticket. Whatever they radared me at is the ticket they gave me.

WhiteautoMach 12-01-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 1442237)
It's a loaded question. Just like when they ask if you mind if they can search your car. They're gonna search it no matter what you say. I've never gotten off on a speeding ticket. Whatever they radared me at is the ticket they gave me.

Exactly. I've gotten out of some speeding tickets and had most lowered. I was real nice and friendly.

acreature 12-01-2011 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteautoMach (Post 1442224)
And if you are honest the cop creams you for that speed! So what do you say?

I am all about honesty. Typically a warning is in order for honesty about simple speeding.

You lie or deny, you hold paper or go to jail. Simple as that. Be an adult and man up to f-ups.

WhiteautoMach 12-01-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acreature (Post 1442252)
I am all about honesty. Typically a warning is in order for honesty about simple speeding.

You lie or deny, you hold paper or go to jail. Simple as that. Be an adult and man up to f-ups.

But being honest can hurt you if the cop wants to. So what should citizens say to most cops when they are caught going 10-20 over?

JPJNTX 12-01-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acreature (Post 1442252)

I'm a retired police officer. I agree with your philosophy. The more crap that got slung at me, the more I slung back, lol.

WhiteautoMach 12-01-2011 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPJNTX (Post 1442438)
I'm a retired police officer. I agree with your philosophy. The more crap that got slung at me, the more I slung back, lol.

So I should just say I just got done raping that slow *** ricer and did 120 in a 50. Then what would you do?

Mustanger2 12-02-2011 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acreature (Post 1442100)
There's this thing called a speedometer in your car. Believe it or not, it tells you how fast you are going, and it sits in front of you where you can see it.

LOL...I always reply, " Why yes I know EXACTLY how fast I was going but the question is...do you?" if said with pleasant good humor it has helped once...chuckle.

acreature 12-02-2011 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteautoMach (Post 1442425)
But being honest can hurt you if the cop wants to. So what should citizens say to most cops when they are caught going 10-20 over?

"ummm, my bad."

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteautoMach (Post 1442440)
So I should just say I just got done raping that slow *** ricer and did 120 in a 50. Then what would you do?

What would I do? At a minimum, cite you. 2+ times the limit is non-negotiable. It would be an easy and justified arrest for 120 in a 50.

You have the right to not self incriminate. Law Enforcement has the ability to exercise discretion.

When I was young in my career, I rarely asked. I simply did the job. Now, I ask more and allow the maturity level of the person dictate the outcome.

Own your actions. Your choice.

openb 01-01-2012 03:06 PM

Hi guys, I'm new here, but been a cop for 20 years now. I rarely ask if they know how fast they were going, I tell them. I also tell them on first contact whether they are getting the skin or a warning. I ask if they have been cited in the last 12 months. If they answer "no", I'll tell them they will get a warning if their driving record confirms it, if they lied, they get the ticket.

Machy uno 01-10-2012 05:40 PM

It may have been asked (maybe even by me, but my memory has left me at the moment and 36 pages is a long place to search)..... but....

Why are there not more police officers ticketing bad drivers rather than just speeding drivers?

I can't even count the number of times I've literally seen watched a cop ignore someone driving in the left lane (illegal in most states, passing only), ignore someone who runs a red (sneaking in past the yellow), or ignore dangerous slamming on the brakes because they missed their turn just to name a few.

Just yesterday I was driving down a three lane each way road and a cop came flying by in the left hand lane with no one paying attention. The cop got up on someones bumper with the person not even realizing it. You could tell when they did becuase they simply slammed on their brakes rather then get out of the way, in the left hand lane!

I just get so frustrated as police officers, around here at least, don't seem to be concerned with protecting the driving public. No cops around here ever seem to really try to inforce ALL the laws, just the one that says you have to go no faster then a certain speed.

newedge32v 01-18-2012 12:15 AM

I will answer questions sooner or later when I get through the LAPD academy..I'm debating on transferring over to CSULA and receiving a batchlors degree in Criminal Justice or just going straight into the academy with a associates degree in Administration of Justice. :thumbsup: