2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trivia for today (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4226)

Twister Special 08-26-2005 08:31 AM

Re: Trivia for today

Quote:

Originally Posted by falcongtho3
For today; starting in '68 Shelby used aftermarket driving lights on the Shelby Mustangs. This continued for '69 as well as '70. What two makers of lights were used? Bonus; which one of these brands would resurface later as an OE fog light on which Mustangs and when? :borg:

Was it Lucas and Marshal? The Lucas was used on the 68 GT/CS.

JDraper 08-26-2005 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZDave
1) hood difference as noted by ponygt65
2) the headlight buckets that go with the non-rolled lip hood
3) the radiator core support had louvers by the battery
others?

There are 4 that I know of. The three mentioned above plus the 65 had a hood reinforcement dimple along the support that holds the hood latch.

AZDave 08-26-2005 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twister Special

Marchal lights were used on the SVO Mustang starting in '84.

falcongtho3 08-26-2005 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twister Special

They started with Marchal lights and switched early on to Lucas. The Lucas lights were used on the '69'/70 cars as well. In '79 Marchal lights were used on the Mustang Pace Car replicas, and then found their way onto the '80/'81 Cobras, then the '82 GTs until '86, also using them on SVO's as well. :borg:

RnJstel 08-26-2005 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

They started with Marchal lights and switched early on to Lucas. The Lucas lights were used on the '69'/70 cars as well. In '79 Marchal lights were used on the Mustang Pace Car replicas, and then found their way onto the '80/'81 Cobras, then the '82 GTs until '86, also using them on SVO's as well. :borg:

Not to be a Mustang Melvin, but I dont think the Marchal's ever made it to the GT/CS. All Ford's initial Marchal purchase went to A/O Smith for the initial Shelby's. The Lucas 8 light was phased in after the original Marchal stock was depleated as there was no supply issue.

PS just for fun, here is pic of me as a toddler with my Mothers 68 GT-350 in the background when it was new.

ponygt65 08-26-2005 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RnJstel
Not to be a Mustang Melvin, but I dont think the Marchal's ever made it to the GT/CS. All Ford's initial Marchal purchase went to A/O Smith for the initial Shelby's. The Lucas 8 light was phased in after the original Marchal stock was depleated as there was no supply issue.

PS just for fun, here is pic of me as a toddler with my Mothers 68 GT-350 in the background when it was new.

Very cool!

Twister Special 08-27-2005 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RnJstel

The GT/CS had lucas lights.

RnJstel 08-27-2005 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ponygt65
Very cool!

Thanks, here is a pic of the car when it had 100 miles on it.

It actually was one of the very few (230) Hertz rentals for 68. Some knuckelhead rolled it while on rental. My dad was the NY Zone manager for Hertz and was in charge of disposal of the car. Funny how he oddly ended up with it for my Mom. He replaced the roof and the other body repairs. He would then bring other Shelby pool cars home and swap the parts out at night.

I am actively searching for it but, SAAC has no record and it seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

falcongtho3 10-09-2005 02:21 PM

Been a while, so here goes;

In '69 the GT package included a number of standard features, on of which was a gas cap that had GT ornamentation like the previous years GTs. Also it was a pop open cap, much like the Mach 1's. There was a unique difference on the '69 GTs gas cap (that today make them one of the most expensive to buy, if you can find one!), what makes this cap so different? :borg:

ponygt65 10-09-2005 02:27 PM

you got me. I was only aware of the pop-open style.

JDraper 10-09-2005 02:51 PM

It was chromed instead of polished aluminum?

Phil 10-09-2005 03:03 PM

Quote:

Been a while, so here goes;

In '69 the GT package included a number of standard features, on of which was a gas cap that had GT ornamentation like the previous years GTs. Also it was a pop open cap, much like the Mach 1's. There was a unique difference on the '69 GTs gas cap (that today make them one of the most expensive to buy, if you can find one!), what makes this cap so different? :borg:

The rear license plate brackets were spring loaded and covered the gas cap.. Having to flip the plate downward.

falcongtho3 10-09-2005 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil
The rear license plate brackets were spring loaded and covered the gas cap.. Having to flip the plate downward.

That was on the Shelby Mustangs (which were recalled due the cas caps venting in the exhaust, and then shooting flames out when the cars backfired...at least that's how the story goes), what I am asking is on the Mustang GT for '69... :borg:

AZDave 10-09-2005 10:28 PM

The jagged edged, pie crust kinda looking design feature on the cap?

falcongtho3 10-09-2005 10:51 PM

Well, if you want to put it that way...yeah, that's it. It's actually ornamentation representing a gear, but that's another way to describe it. And it is unique to that year GT alone. Prices for those suckers are in the stratosphere...and rising steadily! :borg:

falcongtho3 10-22-2005 09:50 PM

For today; there was an email sent out recently that talked about six cylinder Mustangs. There was an error in some of the infomation given in that email. In it, it is stated that all six cylinder Mustangs had four lug wheels (we're talking vintage here, not 94+). This is not the case; what is the exception to that statement and as a bonus; what other important mechanical assembly was also lifted from V-8 Mustangs on this particular application? :borg: (I know this sounds wordy...sorry...)

Twister Special 10-24-2005 08:50 AM

Quote:

For today; there was an email sent out recently that talked about six cylinder Mustangs. There was an error in some of the infomation given in that email. In it, it is stated that all six cylinder Mustangs had four lug wheels (we're talking vintage here, not 94+). This is not the case; what is the exception to that statement and as a bonus; what other important mechanical assembly was also lifted from V-8 Mustangs on this particular application? :borg: (I know this sounds wordy...sorry...)

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark. The four lug was on US sold cars and the export models had 5 lug and the part lifted was the "export brace" again found on export models.

falcongtho3 10-24-2005 08:01 PM

Naah, but thanks for taking a shot at it. The 250 cid inline 6 (introduced in '69) had the five lug hubs and wheels from the 302 cars. The bonus was that it also had the same clutch as the 302 as well.

PS T/S, Check out Wolfgangs German Mustang site. He has a shot of a T/S found in the woods, as well as a '70 Boss 302 found in Iraq in original paint! :borg:

falcongtho3 12-13-2005 07:31 AM

Been awhile...so let's have some fun!

The Lawman Boss 429 Mustang was actually one of a pair built. The one that has not survived was crushed by a shipping crate being loaded on a ship. For today, what was in the shipping container? (I wasn't there, this may be urban legend, but it is pretty good!) :borg:

03mach1 12-13-2005 07:52 AM

It had been crushed on the sea by a palette of form sheets ....

Twister Special 12-13-2005 01:09 PM

Quote:

The Lawman Boss 429 Mustang was actually one of a pair built. The one that has not survived was crushed by a shipping crate being loaded on a ship. For today, what was in the shipping container? (I wasn't there, this may be urban legend, but it is pretty good!) :borg:

A Toyota??????

wigsite 12-13-2005 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03mach1
It had been crushed on the sea by a palette of form sheets ....

But what type of form? A container filled with application forms for wrecking.

Bill Hamilton 12-13-2005 06:39 PM

Quote:

Or how about the 428 Mach 1 that was there also...... :ANGEL:
http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/fo...ch_1_Pic_2.JPG

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/fo..._pic_1-med.JPG

ponygt65 12-13-2005 07:29 PM

Shipping damage claim forms???? Now THAT would be ironic.

ponygt65 12-13-2005 07:30 PM

Added Bonus to Falcon's question............Who is the current owner of the Lawman?