2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Registry Discussion (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ask A Police Officer (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45012)

IMachU 06-11-2007 09:23 PM

Re: Traffic laws on private property

Wiggy, the thread IS called "Ask APolice Officer." Any police officer can answer, especially if the question is in their field of expertise. I agree with acreature.

Police do not think every car leaving a bar is driven by an intoxicated person. That's why we make the stop - so we can find out if they ARE DUI. I applaud proactive police work like this, and encourage it as a supervisor. It keeps innocent people alive and safe, and drunk drivers where they belong....off the road. Since you live in the same neighborhood as that bar, maybe you can appreciate the police officer doing his/her job in keeping you safe. If not, well, move.

CompOrange 06-16-2007 04:17 AM

Re: Ask A Police Officer

Tonight I was on the Freeway driving about five over the speed limit while I modded GT comes up along side me. He is reving his engine and what not trying to get me to go, so I slow down a second, he then guns it so I do just so he leaves me alone. I never went more than 10 above the speed limit, but I admit I shouldn't have done that at all. Needless to say, the guy then goes up next to my buddy in a GT and tries to race him. My friend not being smart gives him a go at it and they are doing in upwards of 120 (stupid, I know...he regrets it now). Anyways, I had seen someone coming up behind me fast and it turns out to be a cruiser. He drives slowly up next to me, then accelerates for the two out screwing around. He ends up pulling over the other GT while my friend gets off on an exit quickly. Basically I am wondering if it is possible for me to get a ticket despite not being pulled over. Can they send me or my friend a ticket in the mail or are they simply going after he who is most guilty, the guy trying to get us to race?:confused: :wall:

IMachU 06-16-2007 02:44 PM

Sounds like he shot you the "slow the hell down!" look. No, you or your friend won't get a ticket in the mail.

edw794 06-19-2007 05:45 AM

if the officer got a look at your face good enough to make an id, he could/would obtain your reg info off of your license plate and follow up on that by contacting you.

i once gave a cite to a person who was driving recklessly on the freeway that i observed while i was off duty and in my own private vehicle. i was able to see the driver's face and his license plate. i contacted this person by sending his local police to his house and had him appear at my station. after identifying him, where he also admitted to the offense, i wrote him a citation and also wrote a report to the da. if he had refused to appear at the station, i would have attempted to make an identification using his driver license photo. if the id was successful, i would have obtained a notify warrant.

this incident occurred in the state of california.

ed

R.Shackleford 06-19-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edw794 (Post 811422)
if the officer got a look at your face good enough to make an id, he could/would obtain your reg info off of your license plate and follow up on that by contacting you.

i once gave a cite to a person who was driving recklessly on the freeway that i observed while i was off duty and in my own private vehicle. i was able to see the driver's face and his license plate. i contacted this person by sending his local police to his house and had him appear at my station. after identifying him, where he also admitted to the offense, i wrote him a citation and also wrote a report to the da. if he had refused to appear at the station, i would have attempted to make an identification using his driver license photo. if the id was successful, i would have obtained a notify warrant.

this incident occurred in the state of california.

ed

Horribly destructive. Congrats.

acreature 06-19-2007 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R.Shackleford (Post 811519)
Horribly destructive. Congrats.

Whatcha mean?

chrome&paint 06-19-2007 12:56 PM

Deleted

chrome&paint 06-19-2007 12:57 PM

Deleted for attack on a member

[DSG]Mach03 06-19-2007 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrome&paint (Post 811550)
Deleted

lol

yeah, seriously. Thats a little overboard. (considering what the guy did. Who knows, he could have deserved it)

R.Shackleford 06-19-2007 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acreature (Post 811546)
Whatcha mean?

I tried to think of a way to explain how I felt that would be easy to understand and not cause a huge debate, but I couldn't so it is what is. I had a compulsion to have to say something so I did. I respect police.

acreature 06-19-2007 04:01 PM

Quote:

Deleted

Ahhh, now I understand why you got a Reckless ticket. :crazy:

C-dub 06-22-2007 05:19 PM

how would one go about checking if there are any warrants out for them? without being hauled off in the event there is one? i found out the other day my license was suspended back in Sept 06 :27: when my employers insurance agent checked my driving record. it was suspended by DMV do to lack of payment for the new York "you got a ticket" surcharge (slapped me with 6 points and pull my license). this is done though dmv and not the courts. the ticket and all court fees were paid 2 days after recieving the violation. i never knew i owed them money, never got a bill (yes issues at the P.O. too), my insurance agent never informed me, was even in a police station and had my license ran back in may (a lost/stolen cell phone for work) and still was never informed. I paid the $300 to DMV yesterday and got the suspension lifted, but would like to make sure I appease the local enforcers as well.:what:

thanks
dub

chrome&paint 06-23-2007 01:34 PM

Quote:

Deleted for attack on a member

uhh I dont remember attacking anyone?????
I was tellin a story

acreature 06-23-2007 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C-dub (Post 812862)
how would one go about checking if there are any warrants out for them? without being hauled off in the event there is one? i found out the other day my license was suspended back in Sept 06 :27: when my employers insurance agent checked my driving record. it was suspended by DMV do to lack of payment for the new York "you got a ticket" surcharge (slapped me with 6 points and pull my license). this is done though dmv and not the courts. the ticket and all court fees were paid 2 days after recieving the violation. i never knew i owed them money, never got a bill (yes issues at the P.O. too), my insurance agent never informed me, was even in a police station and had my license ran back in may (a lost/stolen cell phone for work) and still was never informed. I paid the $300 to DMV yesterday and got the suspension lifted, but would like to make sure I appease the local enforcers as well.:what:

thanks
dub

Call the local PD

IMachU 06-23-2007 07:46 PM

You could also check with the court you originally paid your citation to. Call the court clerk...they should be able to help you out. If not, tell Paris Hilton I said "Hi!" :D :D :D

WuD 07-10-2007 09:57 PM

scenario: me and the wife are on the road driving to alabama and an oncoming car is flashing their headlights franticly at us. i'm in the expedition pushing like 85 or 90 and decided to slow down, b/c normally we all no what the flashing lights means. as i approach the next overpass, i see an unmarked car sitting on the bridge. the driver is holding a laser/radar gun (not sure which one). by now i had slowed to the posted speed of 70. as i go under the overpass, i look to my right and on the entrance ramp are 8, yes 8, alabama state troopers with engines running in one straight line (charger in front). :eek: this was my wife's reaction followed by, "they can't do that!" 2 others had already caught someone ahead of me. can u say, SPEED TRAP:wow:

her question is, if the unmarked car gunned me above the limit, radios to the waiting car to get the black expedition, how can the officer who wrote the ticket prove that it was in fact me speeding when he wasn't the one who gunned me? does the law not state that if they didn't actually see u speeding they can't cite you for the violation?

let's say another black expedition (identical) was in the opposite lane, and miraculously we switched lanes under the overpass; what could or would they do then?

and let's say i pass under the overpass, to stop my vehicle, jump out, lift the hood and act as if something was wrong with the car. if i'm not behind the wheel when they get to me can they still right the ticket?

Starsky 07-10-2007 10:07 PM

Yes they can do that. Our tickets have a place for 2 officers...so the officer that clocked you and the officer that stopped you would likely be listed on the ticket. And a lot of What if scenarios could be stated, and thats what judges are for. You could tell your scenario to the judge and see if it flys

WuD 07-10-2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsky (Post 821597)
Yes they can do that. Our tickets have a place for 2 officers...so the officer that clocked you and the officer that stopped you would likely be listed on the ticket. And a lot of What if scenarios could be stated, and thats what judges are for. You could tell your scenario to the judge and see if it flys

well i was sure of that. i tried to explain to her that if it was illegal or if their argument in court had no real basis, they wouldn't have set up such an operation.

noob 07-12-2007 10:54 PM

After you retire do you get to still carry a gun into public places where cops can, but civilians w/ only permits can't. Like schools ect.... (not that you would want to take one into a school but i couldn't think of another example.)

01TruBluGT 07-13-2007 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noob (Post 822609)
After you retire do you get to still carry a gun into public places where cops can, but civilians w/ only permits can't. Like schools ect.... (not that you would want to take one into a school but i couldn't think of another example.)

According to H.R. 218 they can, they just have to re-qualify with a weapon every so often just like when they were active. As for schools it depends on the area, some states have laws that allow off duty police to carry on school grounds, some states the only way you are allowed to carry on school grounds is if you are on duty. Govt Buildings are another area that is at the individual states discretion, once you are retired HR 218 basically allows you to carry like you were off duty so if your govt building only allow officers on official duty to carry inside then the same will go for the retiree.

HR 218 not only allows for retired LEO to carry concealed it also allows for active off duty personnel to carry in all 50 states and US territories. It will even allow you to fly carrying a concealed weapon at the captain of the planes discretion; if he will allow it you can carry it.

noob 07-13-2007 11:53 PM

Thanks I always wandered that.

340.29_m/s 07-14-2007 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01TruBluGT (Post 822707)
218 not only allows for retired LEO to carry concealed it also allows for active off duty personnel to carry in all 50 states and US territories. It will even allow you to fly carrying a concealed weapon at the captain of the planes discretion; if he will allow it you can carry it.

If the captain of the plane says no, then what do you do with your sidearm? Do you have to check it?

IMachU 07-14-2007 12:51 AM

Unload it, place it in a hard-sided, locked case, and stow it in the belly of the plane with the rest of the luggage.

340.29_m/s 07-14-2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMachU (Post 823124)
Unload it, place it in a hard-sided, locked case, and stow it in the belly of the plane with the rest of the luggage.

What good is it in the cargo hold if all hell breaks loose on the plane? I think that it should still be accessible somehow, in the event it's needed. It should atleast be secured somewhere in the cockpit.

IMachU 07-14-2007 02:14 AM

The pilots have their own guns. That's the main reason why they don't want more guns on the plane. It's easier to control the situation if you don't have all the passengers unloading at one irate passenger. :D