2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (Including trans & rear axles) (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Lock-out, missed shifts - Mystery solved? (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39894)

Olivas 11-08-2006 08:50 PM

Re: Lock-out, missed shifts - Mystery solved?

Just ordered myself a MM quadrant and the Fiore adjuster, we'll see how it goes.

wolverine81 11-09-2006 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDraper (Post 678950)
Install is a piece 'o cake. Firewall adjuster takes about 30 minutes MAX, and most of that is getting the new holes drilled. Quadrant is a 10 minute job. Very easy install, and Fiore even includes the proper drill bit for the firewall adjuster. The website to order them is http://www.fioreperformanceparts.com/ and it's $84.90 for both parts.

Do all firewall adjusters require you to drill new holes or is it only the fiore?

IMachU 11-09-2006 01:28 AM

OK, so this quadrant is not maintenance-free? As in I would have to adjust it occasionally (as the cable stretched and the clutch wears)?

JDraper 11-09-2006 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olivas (Post 681267)
Just ordered myself a MM quadrant and the Fiore adjuster, we'll see how it goes.

Hopefully that will work for you. I had a Steeda quadrant and the Fiore Adjuster, and I had to replace the Steeda with a Fiore because I didn't have enough adjustment in the cable with the Steeda. The hook on the Fiore quadrant is closer to the firewall than the hook on the steeda, which gives you more room to adjust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolverine81
Do all firewall adjusters require you to drill new holes or is it only the fiore?

Not sure. All of them have to be anchored to the firewall somehow. Some "may" use the factory screw holes. I went with the Fiore because it's by far the best design on the market right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IMachU
OK, so this quadrant is not maintenance-free? As in I would have to adjust it occasionally (as the cable stretched and the clutch wears)?

Unlike the factory adjustable quadrant, the aftermarket ones are not adjustable at all. That's why you need a firewall adjuster. This allows you to periodically adjust the cable due to either cable stretching or clutch wear.

2k4mach 11-09-2006 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by birdman941 (Post 679006)
My understanding is that the Ford OE cable is the only way to go.
Aftermarket cables do not last.

yup been there done that
aftermarker quadrant and firewall adjuster with the OE cable is the way to go.

mmustangsrus 03-13-2007 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2k4mach (Post 681427)
yup been there done that
aftermarker quadrant and firewall adjuster with the OE cable is the way to go.

:yes:x2 :yeh: i`ve had a crapload of them !!!!

weaver 06-29-2007 07:21 AM

Thank you hawk for this extremely helpfull write-up:worship:

Just did this mod yesterday. Used Steeda's firewall adj. and dbl. hook quad. WOW! Unbelievable difference! I can actually FEEL the clutch now. It falls right into gear. No more lock-out. I had just started having probs. landing 2nd gear. Not now.

DO THIS MOD ASAP! :THUMBSUP: :THUMBSUP:

nelos04 10-18-2007 02:53 AM

I know whats next on my list :worship:

GRB60 10-18-2007 10:24 AM

By the way, the Fiore firewall adjuster will mount in the factory holes. They include the drill bit and two extra screws so that you can use 4 screws to mount it more securely.

I only used the two factory holes. It's holding just fine so far.

Mach1Man04 10-20-2007 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRB60 (Post 876895)
By the way, the Fiore firewall adjuster will mount in the factory holes. They include the drill bit and two extra screws so that you can use 4 screws to mount it more securely.

I only used the two factory holes. It's holding just fine so far.

hey whered you get that stuff the fiore site doesnt work

hawk 10-20-2007 07:33 PM

Fiore is apparently out of business, but people have been getting thm from Lethal Performance.

G 10-20-2007 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawk (Post 878364)
Fiore is apparently out of business, but people have been getting thm from Lethal Performance.

Tell them you heard about it here.

http://www.lethalperformance.com/pag...drant-kit.html

G 10-20-2007 08:53 PM

FYI -------- stolen from some other forum

Jared@Lethal09-27-2007, 09:09 PM
Who said the best working adjuster ever made isn't available anymore??

Not here! Your boys at Lethal Performance were committed to keep this thing around forever and that's just what we'll do.

It's unfortunate that Joe F. who designed these is no longer in the industry however he blessed us with one fine product that will be a part of Lethal Performance's product line for years and years to come..

So with no longer delay you are now welcome to order these as they are in stock with same day shipping.

Here's the link to the kit and below is the Adjuster by itself. We've also put together a kit for those that prefer to use the Steeda Quick Release Quadrant over the Fiore one!!

Thanks, Jared

hawk 10-21-2007 12:13 AM

thx for the extra info, G!

weaver 10-21-2007 12:29 AM

:SMASH:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 876868)
LMMFAO........................WELCOME TO 2003!!!;)

HAVE FUN!!!:HOPPY:

Yeah so I waited till '07 to buy an '04 :wall:.

I'll have MORE fun when I get this car down the 1/4 and see how good I am!

nikbait 11-01-2007 09:33 PM

Man, sounds like the machs have a rep for the 2nd/3rd gear problem...this is a good thing to know for when I get my car:)

pdmustgt 11-02-2007 02:37 AM

Not really 2nd to 3rd mach 1 problem. It's the way factroy makes the stock shifter on most manual cars.

nikbait 11-09-2007 07:47 PM

Oh so most of this is the shifter and not the tranny? Would getting a short shifter make things better or worse?

JDraper 11-09-2007 07:51 PM

I don't think it's a shifter problem. Definitely wasn't in my case. I had both the factory shifter and a Tri-Ax on mine, and had the same problem with both shifters installed. I'm currently using the stock shifter and sold my Tri-Ax. After experimenting with both shifters, I found that for driving on the road, the factory shifter was better for me. Yes, it's looser and less precise than a Tri-Ax, but it's also much less notchy and I don't need to slam it through the gears since I'm not racing it. If I were racing it, I'd definitely have a better shifter, most likely the MGW.

It's more in how the clutch releases, which is controlled by the quadrant and cable adjuster.

nikbait 11-09-2007 07:54 PM

Dunno....

94Gt5.o 05-08-2008 01:35 PM

Would the Fiore fix a problem with it grinding going into 2nd gear at high rpms? Its only above 6K. Kinda wierd, i talked to D&D and they said they clutch may not be disengaging.

JDraper 05-08-2008 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 94Gt5.o (Post 991809)
Would the Fiore fix a problem with it grinding going into 2nd gear at high rpms? Its only above 6K. Kinda wierd, i talked to D&D and they said they clutch may not be disengaging.

It did for me..I had that exact problem and the firewall adjuster and quadrant solved it.

MachAssault 05-09-2008 10:56 AM

i was having this problem too. I just bought my 04 shadow Grey Mach..I rolled of a 2nd twice both missing 3rd. The second time my clutch went out..so i said to my self " new car barely a month" how does a clutch go out on a Mach 1 that has 40,100 miles??? i am still puzzled and i guess i am screwd..

toad 05-09-2008 12:33 PM

great info Hawk :yeh: