2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club

2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php)
-   Power Adders (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=76)
-   -   Custom Intake Carbureted & Nitrous Setup (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76408)

Linumup 07-12-2009 10:48 AM

Re: Custom Intake Carbureted & Nitrous Setup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 1174937)
After hashing over what to do at the shop Saturday, Jeff & I decided to modify the exsisting distributor drive system from MMR and stay away from a cog driven distributor for now.. I also stand corrected about the drive socket cracking, I mis understood what Jeff was explaining to me from his talk with Ron Robart.. There are no reports of the sockets ever cracking and is highly unlikely..

I am going to get the distributor boss pilot bore on cam cover aligned with the Cam bolt. I will be machining the back of the cam cover to shorten it and at a slight angle, bringing the distributor pilot bore to cam bolt in line. This is with the cam cover torqued to proper specs.. Then we will pin the cam cover to the head, to insure it maintains this proper alignment.

I will be locating different high quality sockets to acheive a tighter fit to cam bolt. If I can't find one, I will machine/EDM die sink a socket out of titanium. The current slop is about 1 degree, which is not really that bad compared to cam gear driven distributors.

I will be pinning the socket to the 3/8" drive shaft on distributor, this will eliminate the socket falling off when removing the distributor.

The 12mm SPS cam bolts have been installed to 105 in-lbs vs the factory 10mm bolts at 90 in-lbs. Plus a high quality lock tight used. We feel that with the proper alignment and eliminating any side load to cam bolt/socket drive, there should not be a problem with the cam bolt loosening.

It sounds less expensive for sure . Hope it works out for you Phil .

Phil 07-12-2009 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Linumup (Post 1174946)
It sounds less expensive for sure . Hope it works out for you Phil .

Your right about that Bill..

We feel confident these fixes will solve any forseen problems. The idea of driving a distributor is actually a good concept, if proper alignment is acheived. The key is to insure all or very minimum side load when cam cover is torqued to spec. Also maintaining this alignment if pulling the cam cover and reinstalling it. The 2 dowel pins will insure of this.

Phil 07-12-2009 12:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jeff has the harmonic damper installed and the MSD flying magnet crank trigger wheel. Since the factory trigger wheel (reluctant wheel) fits behind the damper, we needed a spacer of the same size thickness to retain proper damper location. I had the center of the trigger wheel EDM wired to a 2.90" diameter and Jeff used this as the spacer. In the pic, the center piece of the wheel is on the crank.

I also have to machine a bracket to hold/locate the MSD pickup, since this is a Chevy crank trigger kit. Jeff is designing one (probably on Pro-E) and when I get the print, I will machine it.

Jeff found that the Sullivan intake mounting holes did not align exact to the block holes. The holes have to be slightly elongated, to insure no gauling of the aluminum block threads. Heli-coils inserts were installed for the (4) ARP 5/16-18 carb studs. The sullivan had metric threads.

Phil 07-12-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 1174980)
That's been my whole concern on this distributor since Mark first claimed inventing it.

I hear ya Col!!!! Jeff & I will make it right!

I still think Mark has a very good concept/design, just needs to take care of problems, that we are learning about.. I have the right man building my motor!

Phil 07-14-2009 04:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics of motor with intake, ATI harmonic damper & MSD flying magnet crank wheel..

I have the MSD distributor, modifying the socket drive.. The composite spacer on intake, is Jeff checking for proper alignment when he installed the heli-coil inserts for the carb ARP studs. I have a Wilson tappered spacer (black anodized) & Zex perimeter nitrous plate that will be installed soon.. Topped off with a Proform racing 650 double pumper. I'm looking into filling the valley under the intake with a stainless panel..

Phil 07-14-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 1175948)
Looks great.............ready fo dem Kooks?

I want to go with the step headers.. A 1.625" primary going to a 1.750" primary/3" collector... Very soon, Col..!!!

Phil 07-15-2009 05:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics of motor:

Phil 07-15-2009 05:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
More pics:

Linumup 07-15-2009 08:16 PM

Looks like eye candy to me . lol

Sweet Phil !!!!

So will you be using an elec. choke and how do you plan to run your vac. set-up off the carb. ??

Roy 07-16-2009 04:54 PM

Looking good Phil!

Phil 07-29-2009 09:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some more progress going on. Jeff Chambers modified the MSD pick-up bracket to the MSD 4 flying magnet wheel.. However, as he expected, the belt with factory tensioner will rub on the factory trigger wheel pick-up boss & bottom of tensioner body.

I will be milling the factory pick-up boss off the front cam chain cover & Jeff will be intalling a larger diameter tensioner pulley. This will eliminate all areas that are a rubbing concern with the new belt routing.

Linumup 07-29-2009 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 1182587)
Some more progress going on. Jeff Chambers modified the MSD pick-up bracket to the MSD 4 flying magnet wheel.. However, as he expected, the belt with factory tensioner will rub on the factory trigger wheel pick-up boss & bottom of tensioner body.

I will be milling the factory pick-up boss off the front cam chain cover & Jeff will be intalling a larger diameter tensioner pulley. This will eliminate all areas that are a rubbing concern with the new belt routing.

Purdy !! :claus:

If it just bolted on everybody would be doing it . :23:

Beautiful Phil !

Phil 08-09-2009 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got around to pining the 18mm socket to the MSD distributor shaft, using an 1/8" roll pin. Now we don't have to worry about the socket falling off inside the head when removing the distributor. Plus, there is no movement/play between the shaft & socket. Total runout of the socket to centerline of distributor shaft is within .002"..

Next, I will be machining an offset bushing (Jeff's idea) to align the distributor socket to exhaust cam bolt. I will be turning down the aluminum base on distributor and make the offset bushing to fit the cam cover boss I.D. to the new smaller distributor base O.D. Then I will machine a new, smaller O-ring groove in the distributor base for oil control. The offset bushing will be RTV'd to the cam cover boss, once position is found.

The bore in the bushing will be offset from centerline about 040"-.050" and able to rotate inside the cam cover boss, this will acheive the best alignment possible. Jeff will be getting the dimensions as soon as I can get the distributor to him. Once all is aligned with offset bushing, I will drill/tap for a set screw (maybe 2) to secure the distributor and bushing to cam cover boss. This will eliminate any possible movement in distributor timing.

Phil 08-10-2009 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mach1Marauder (Post 1186838)
Did you use a socket for the stock cam bolt or one for ARP?

Bill,

I used the 18mm socket for the 12mm SPS aftermarket cam bolts..

These 12mm SPS bolts (metric grade 10.9), is what Crower Cams come with.. The factory cam gear bolts are 10mm and I believe they use an 18mm socket too..??

bdmach1 08-10-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil (Post 1182587)

Hey Phil......what you need to do is swap that timing cover for one off of a 96-98 cobra or a 96-98.These timing covers use th ethree bolt tensioner that is up high in the timing cover instead of yours being mounted low by the crank. I'll see if I can find you a pic with a short belt routed. Hope this helps!

Bob

Phil 08-10-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdmach1 (Post 1187275)
Hey Phil......what you need to do is swap that timing cover for one off of a 96-98 cobra or a 96-98.These timing covers use th ethree bolt tensioner that is up high in the timing cover instead of yours being mounted low by the crank. I'll see if I can find you a pic with a short belt routed. Hope this helps!

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for your offer, but I already modified the front cover.. I did not know this difference with the tensioner with 96-98.. Thanks for the info!

Phil 08-11-2009 11:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Pics of the front cover pickup boss milled off. Now I have to tap with a taper pipe tap.

Phil 08-13-2009 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tapped the factory timing pickup boss with a 3/8"-18 NPT. I did not have to drill the boss, enough meat to get a 3/8" taper NPT plug screwed in.

Phil 10-10-2009 11:36 AM

3 Attachment(s)
The Mach is off to CRT Performance for the final stages/mods of this project during the winter. It's taking a long time on my part, but better late then never!

Having my 6 pt moly roll bar modified to a a 10 pt chromoly cage.
Strange manual brake system.
Complete removal of factory computor/wiring for custom wiring.
MSD 7 programmable plus ignition system.
Flamming River manual rack & pinion.
Firecharger AFFF dual engine bay nozzle fire suppression system.
Engine bay welded up/painted for a clean solid look.
6" cowl induction pin on hood that extends to the windshield.
Rear adjustable spring purches.
Rear aligned/front aligned.
Engine/trans installed.