PDA

View Full Version : Road & Track's "2004 Sports & GT Cars" issue has great article on the Mach 1

MikeMach1
12-18-2003, 08:01 AM
I was at the news stand and picked up the "2004 Sports & GT Cars" issue by Road and Track and on the cover there is a picture of an Azure Blue Mach 1. The article is 5 pages long, complete with good photos and a page of stats. They got 0 - 60 in 5.3 sec and 1/4 mile in 13.7 sec - temp was 93 degrees. They seem very impressed by the Mach 1.
:THUMBSUP: :CHEERS:
:smokin:

Shaker Dan
12-18-2003, 11:48 AM
Holy Cow, Road and Track liking a Ford Product. I did not think I would see the day.

I will have to go pick it up and keep it for nostalgia purposes.

Showtime
12-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Yeah, I picked it up yesterday on my lunch, and read it last night. It's great.

The thing that I REALLY noticed is that they have 4 cars on the cover. A Porsche, A Lamborghini, And A Lotus. ALL are foreign High performance sports car. The Only American Muscle car, or only American car for that matter is the MACH 1. I love it.

MikeMach1
12-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Showtime
Yeah, I picked it up yesterday on my lunch, and read it last night. It's great.

The thing that I REALLY noticed is that they have 4 cars on the cover. A Porsche, A Lamborghini, And A Lotus. ALL are foreign High performance sports car. The Only American Muscle car, or only American car for that matter is the MACH 1. I love it.
Yeah on the cover there is the Lotus Elise, Ford Mustang Mach 1, Porsche Carrera GT, and trhe Lamborghini Gallardo. It is an issue that should be checked out. Really cool when Road and Track likes it.

"Suddenly it's 1969" :MADNOEL:

Mach 1 Boy
12-18-2003, 02:48 PM
It's in....My future....I see a trip to the magazine stand in Missy at lunch! :D

Catman
12-18-2003, 02:52 PM
I just picked it up on my lunch break and I'm reading it now...like said before, hard to believe these clowns like it as much as they do. :D

Mach1 EH
12-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Well just thanks alot.
After reading this post, after work I am gonna have to go and pick that magazine up. :MADNOEL:

I do agree with Road and Track though, the new Mach1 is IMPRESSIVE!

:THUMBSUP:

Mach1 EH
12-18-2003, 03:33 PM
I could not wait.

I just froze my nose and ears off and walked to a corner store (half mile) to pick up the mag. (good thing too, last one there!)

Again, thanks :ANGEL:

04BlackMach
12-18-2003, 04:58 PM
13.7??? Was that an AUTOMATIC? :confused:

MikeMach1
12-18-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by 04BlackMark

If I had a guess it wasn't broken in yet also it was 93 degrees out and 29% humidity (not sure how humidity would play in), I am guessing if it was in the low 70 or 60's it would've done better and the Mach had a couple of thousand miles on the odometer it would've done a bit better. But at least they liked it and they sang nothing but praises for it. Hey it even made the cover of a Road and Track issue, couldn't ask for more.

Mach 1 Boy
12-18-2003, 07:37 PM
I forgot to go at lunch, but I am going to Best Buy this evening for other reasons and will pick it up when I am out.

Gotta buy the wife the complete 2nd season of "Dawson's Creek" for her birthday. OH BROTHER!! :rolleyes:

Gigashadow
12-18-2003, 08:11 PM
Did anyone notice the box diagram of speed to time on the last page of the article? It has the 1/4 mile listed at 12.2 at 121mph? I could be off by some tenths, strange misprint.

MikeMach1
12-19-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Gigashadow
Did anyone notice the box diagram of speed to time on the last page of the article? It has the 1/4 mile listed at 12.2 at 121mph? I could be off by some tenths, strange misprint.

That's a misprint, turn to page 23, the stats page for the Ford GT, that's the quarter mile time for the Ford GT.

DSGMach714
12-19-2003, 01:16 AM

Thats what most people and the magazines get out of a stock 5 speed Mach..

MikeMach1
12-19-2003, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by DSGMach714
Thats what most people and the magazines get out of a stock 5 speed Mach..

Motor Trend recorded:
1/4 mile - 13.8 sec (manual)
1/4 mile - 13.88 sec (automatic)

Roccod1
12-19-2003, 02:27 AM
In the Oct. Motor Trend they say another thing. They tested an 03' auto. It ran a 13.88 at 101.91, and they then said they had also ran a manual 13.2 at 106.7. Check it out

DSGMach714
12-19-2003, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Roccod1
In the Oct. Motor Trend they say another thing. They tested an 03' auto. It ran a 13.88 at 101.91, and they then said they had also ran a manual 13.2 at 106.7. Check it out

Wow, MT got a Mach to run that fast?? Thats shocking considering MT's times for all cars are slow.

stangdiablo
12-19-2003, 02:45 AM
Wow, MT got a Mach to run that fast?? Thats shocking considering MT's times for all cars are slow.

yep i have that issue too, it just a page, but they say nothing but good things and its a "headliner"

richtor
12-19-2003, 04:19 AM

actually mm&ff ran the car that fast. when they did there test between the 01 cobra, 01 bullitt, and the mach 1 they ran all three cars down the 1/4 using motor trends testing and timing equipment. yes they may have worked the equipment but the driver and test was for a ford magazine. :THUMBSUP:

Poisoned Pony
12-19-2003, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by richtor
actually mm&ff ran the car that fast. when they did there test between the 01 cobra, 01 bullitt, and the mach 1 they ran all three cars down the 1/4 using motor trends testing and timing equipment. yes they may have worked the equipment but the driver and test was for a ford magazine. :THUMBSUP:

that was 5.0 Mustang mag that ran that test. 5.0 seems to use Motor Trend's drivers and equipment for performance testing nowadays. MM&FF got a 13.1 out of a stock Mach back when teh car was 1st released :)

amach1
12-20-2003, 06:42 PM
Later on in the same magazine,they test the great GTO,aka the
big grand am. From their test times,slightley slower than the
Mach 1,this makes me think this it will be a driver's race,not the one
sided contest that was in the pontiac mag.
The GTO was also a stick shift,outside of the name there is little
retro about the car.
I dont think I will be running out to buy one any time in the near
future,at least the new Mach 1 lives up to it's muscle car past.

a mach 1
03 azure blue 5spd
67 mustang gt coupe
69 cougar eliminator

04BlackMach
12-20-2003, 07:19 PM
I wish the GTO looked as nice as the GranAm. :rolleyes: I just cannot see people knocking down the doors to buy one of those pieces of ****! And I used to be a GM guy from day one, but not anymore. :) I owned XXXXX's amount of GM cars. This is my 3rd new Ford.

For the money, the Mach 1 is the BEST bang for the buck! Not because I own one, it just is. :cool: Did I ever tell ya that I LOVE this car???:MADNOEL:

Neverra
12-21-2003, 11:27 AM
OMG, I cannot find that R&T magazine to save my life. I've been everywhere from the 711 to Barnes & Knobles without success....:(

Bill Hamilton
12-21-2003, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Neverra
OMG, I cannot find that R&T magazine to save my life. I've been everywhere from the 711 to Barnes & Knobles without success....:(

I found my issue at Books a Million but I would have thought Barnes and Knoble would have it too.

CA Lightfoot
12-21-2003, 04:37 PM
FINALLY, one of the car magazines got it right: "The best part of the Mach 1 is that it's like owning a vintage Mustang without the headaches of old car maintenance. Not only is this the perfect Sunday cruise machine -- one that you're proud to lift the hood just to better show off the shaker scoop -- but also it's a great everyday driver." Yes!

This year I was looking for a 2nd car for weekend fun. Something vintaqe. Then I got a ride in a new Mach 1. Reminded me of a ride I got back in 1970 in the old Boss 302. So I bought a new Mach 1 two months ago. Great deal on an '03. I get a warranty and dealer service anywhere in the USA. Best of all, in over 30 years of driving all sorts of cars, the new Mach is the most fun-to-drive car I've ever driven (my brother-in-law's M5 is just too techno-stuffy for my taste). I'd make the Mach my daily driver but I just don't want to suffer the dings & dangers of my workplace parking lot (a high school).

By the way, there is a road test of an '04 Mach in the January issue of MUSCLECAR ENTHUSIAST. In the article, they say our Mach engine is underrated (duh!) and they back it up by saying independent dyno tests of the '03 Mach produced 265 rwhp & 280 rwtq = 320 hp & 340 lb-ft at the flywheel. Nice to see in print.

JeffreyDJ
12-21-2003, 06:25 PM
I went and picked up a copy, and it was *REALLY* nice to see a print magazine love the car. Read the article and smiled. Its fun to have a car that others recognize is as much fun as I know it is.

I picked up a copy of Hemmings Muscle Machines as well. The liked it, but it wasn't a flat out rave. They were disappointed they were given an automatic to test. (on a side not -- nothing against autos by any menas -- but why would Ford send an automatic to an enthusiast magazine for review? They did the same to Edmunds as well). Hemmings also had 4 takes on it from other writers in it, and they did rave about it. :THUMBSUP:

04BlackMach
12-21-2003, 07:21 PM
I subscribe to Road & Track. I NEVER received that issue. Is it January issue? :confused:

JeffreyDJ
12-21-2003, 07:24 PM
I subscribe to Road & Track. I NEVER received that issue. Is it January issue? :confused:

Its not the normal issue. It is a special edition "Sports & GT Cars 2004" marked "For Display until March 16, 2004" by the UPC Code. I found mine at Waldenbooks in a the mall.

Bill Hamilton
12-21-2003, 07:24 PM

It's their annual Sports Cars and GT issue for the year not one of the monthly issues.

:ANGEL:

04BlackMach
12-21-2003, 07:29 PM
JeffreyDJ

Its not the normal issue. It is a special edition "Sports & GT Cars 2004" marked "For Display until March 16, 2004" by the UPC Code. I found mine at Waldenbooks in a the mall.

THANKS! :)

Shaker Dan
12-22-2003, 02:29 PM
I picked it up over the weekend. I love the title: Greatest Sports Cars on the Planet and there sits the Mach 1 on the Cover. It recievd as much if not more attention in the Magazine than the Z06, Lambo, Enzo, etc.....

I am very surprised at R&T. They are usually a American Car haters but really gave good reviews of the Mach and Z06.

Oh yeah, that hybrid Grandprix/grandam is in there also. From their stats it is running a little faster than what others have said. Still not fast enough though.

Mach 1 Boy
12-22-2003, 08:17 PM
Finally got it today!! Great review and I am STOKED to have the mechanical stats (I love that feature with Road & Track)! :THUMBSUP:

falcongtho3
12-22-2003, 09:30 PM
I picked it up myself this weekend and was glad to see it wasn't reprint of the story they did earlier this year, all of one page. It truly amazes me how different Azure looks in the articles and different photos compared to real life! And they even got the part about the soild axle right! Probably the best mainstream article done on our cars to date!

Poisoned Pony
12-22-2003, 10:38 PM
got my issue today. Nice write-up, great pics but.....

:worship: Porsche GT2, I love that car :D

03mach/03ZX9
12-22-2003, 10:49 PM
didn't anybody notice the HP and TQ figures quoted???
310/335 for manual
308/323 auto
For '03 cars that were tested.What gives?Did ford finally give correct figures?:confused:

Shaker Dan
12-23-2003, 11:26 AM
Corrrect? Maybe more accurate information when the 04s came out. It has been widely publisized that everyone thought the numbers were underrated. I think they fessed up a little more.

They have some great cars in there. Ones anyone can appreciate. They have the Ford GT, Enzo Ferrari, Saleen S7, etc... They have a couple of aritcles comparing vehicles but only few are all about themselves. The Mach 1 is one of them. You must pick this up because it is probably the last time R&T admits to liking a Ford. hahahaha......