PDA

View Full Version : real bad day for a 04 mach

bleed blue
12-17-2003, 09:43 PM
One of our customers did this on a sales roadtest. He found out first hand how "fun" a mustang can be in the rain. Spun it out on the freeway and hit the divider. At least no one was hurt but the car is a goner. I have more pix but having trouble loading them.
Will try later.

okc-AZURE
12-17-2003, 09:49 PM
interested in selling the motor/trans/computer for my 68 stang???

bryano
12-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Bad day.

Who would be responsible for the damage? Him or y'all?

What a shame.

Sorry, man.:rolleyes:

340.29m/s
12-17-2003, 09:51 PM
Although my car was not damaged quite that bad, that is how I got my Mach for cheap. Someone took it out, had a little mishap, and I milked it for all it was worth! (it looked like new when I bought it BTW, they fixed it in house) :)

There is no other way an 18 yr old like myself could have afforded a 30k dollar car.

I take it that one is totalled?

DanK
12-17-2003, 09:53 PM
Ouch! Totaled huh? I bet he was scared sh*tless!

bleed blue
12-17-2003, 10:04 PM
I'm sure they will total it. Just happend this weekend. Our insurance co will pay it off and then go after his.

JeffreyDJ
12-17-2003, 10:06 PM
OUCH! Was he responsible for the damage? What happens to cars like that when it does happen?

And ...

I could fix that for $20.00 and a bottle of jack.

NOTE: This post is not an offer to actually fix it for $20.00, but rather a lame attempt at humor. :crazy:

bleed blue
12-17-2003, 10:08 PM
lets try this again...more pix?!

bleed blue
12-17-2003, 10:10 PM
more pix

bleed blue
12-17-2003, 10:13 PM
sorry...still learning this stuff

loveOliver
12-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Looks like someone should rip her apart and make a road racer out of her. If I only had the money and time to do such a thing. I would love to build the car from the bones up...i can't though, not now.

ryan

mrmstng
12-17-2003, 10:34 PM
Ouch, he really did a number on it.:(

02mach1
12-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Sorry here about the Mach1 glad no one got hurt what was the vin# on that Mach1? so we get record that Mach1 history.;)

gregcheese
12-17-2003, 11:11 PM
That's horrible! Just looking at the pics makes me want to run out and make sure mine is still parked in the garage where I left her.

"There is no other way an 18 yr old like myself could have afforded a 30k dollar car"

:D I can afford one now at 20, so maybe you'll have better luck in two years. At any rate, I love to see anyone from our generation appreciate a REAL car, and not a multi-winged four banger.

-greg

P Machy
12-17-2003, 11:14 PM
OMFG!!!!

****...so who is responsible for the damaged....or totalled car?

I wouldnt want to be the customer :SMASH:

DSG2003Mach1
12-17-2003, 11:55 PM
If they didnt have him sign anything or show proof of insurance it may turn into a circus, ultimately I think the customer will end up payin one way or the other. Ive gone on test drives where they didnt even check my license, this is a prime example of why you shouldnt do that.

Poor mach :(

1mach03
12-18-2003, 04:18 AM
Gee that makes me hurt looking at it. Im glad no one got to test drive my car.:D april the vettelady. sad one less torch red mach 1.:(

BlackMachOne
12-18-2003, 05:04 AM
Some people don't realize how potent these things are, I mean I had traction control on today on perfectly dry payment and I chirped coming out of second going into third and I wasn't really getting on it that hard..no where near 6 grand..maybe 5 grand on the tack..These things go like mad even bone stock..I think with a car like this dealers should be a bit more selective on which days they let people test drive these cars..I hate seeing pics like that..If it's raining I don't even take it out..and the only day it's seen rain was the day I drove it home..a sharp reminder of what we don't want to do..seeing that might save a few more..
Cheers..:THUMBSUP:

Martin99ACR
12-18-2003, 05:26 AM
I can afford one now at 20, so maybe you'll have better luck in two years. At any rate, I love to see anyone from our generation appreciate a REAL car, and not a multi-winged four banger.

Yes, indeed. I'm 19.5 and love this car because what it has to offer by adding mods to it.

Starsky
12-18-2003, 05:34 AM
Observation: Wow! The paint on the hood sure stood up well!

Question: Can I have 1 wheel to replace my curb rashed one? I'll pay for shipping..

hotrodnut
12-18-2003, 07:39 AM
Ouch! That's sad. :frown:

If I was a Dealer, I wouldn't let the Machs be tested until the person who is interested, plunks down the cash . . . . then if "after" the test drive, for some odd reason they did not want it, then let them back out of the deal. :machgod:

I don't know why :confused: , but that upsets me bad!

04BlackMach
12-18-2003, 07:49 AM
I don't think the insurance company will total that car. It will be repaired, and sold. I wonder who the lucky person will be? :rolleyes:

03mach69mach
12-18-2003, 08:20 AM
Although it looks bad, not that bad of damage to the Mach. Doesn't look like the hood is hurt. They may handle it as a total, but car is not a total.

badjoey
12-18-2003, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by bleed blue
I'm sure they will total it. Just happend this weekend. Our insurance co will pay it off and then go after his.

if he had any

badjoey
12-18-2003, 09:08 AM
and unless the pics aren't showing some real major damage then i don't think this mach1 is totaled-maybe as far as the dealer insurance goes but definitely a great fixer-upper--wish i had room in the garage

PRDUBYA
12-18-2003, 11:27 AM
Is the chin spoiler O.K? I could use one.;)

Paul

mach1speed
12-18-2003, 11:41 AM
Finally, the hood stripe is straight!:SMASH:

Sorry, needed humor to ease the pain.....

No Control
12-18-2003, 12:20 PM
The dealer here made sure the paper work was "done" and ready to go to financing before we drove it. He wasn't too reluctant to let me drive it though, as I was there the night before looking at it and filling out initial paperwork. I guess he figured I was serious when I came back the next morning. The other dealers were that way in the area too. Paperwork had to be in financing before the test drive on any of the special models. GT's, no problem. Drive 'em all you want.

DSG2003Mach1
12-18-2003, 12:41 PM
maybe it was because I knew the salesman and we already bought a truck from him a couple months ago, he just threw me the keys to anything I wanted to drive.

you have to go easy in the rain for sure...it likes to spin the tires enough on dry pavement...the crappy good years dont help either

JeffreyDJ
12-18-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by No Control
The dealer here made sure the paper work was "done" and ready to go to financing before we drove it. He wasn't too reluctant to let me drive it though, as I was there the night before looking at it and filling out initial paperwork. I guess he figured I was serious when I came back the next morning. The other dealers were that way in the area too. Paperwork had to be in financing before the test drive on any of the special models. GT's, no problem. Drive 'em all you want.

I had a dealer here that tried to pull that on me. It is plain silly to require paperwork in financing to test drive a car that cost no more than a fully loaded Honda Accord. Yes, its a Mach 1, and yes there are fewer out there then GT's. But, it's not a super expensive collectors car. But, with as many are sitting on lots it shouldn't be a big deal. They should make sure your serious about buying the car, but I'm not letting them pull a credit report to test drive a car that (at the time) I wasn't sure I wanted.

Heck, I test drove a Boxster with no hassle.

I didn't accept it and went elsewhere. Walked on the lot, asked for a test drive. They said sure, we hopped in and I drove around. Went to a different dealer to buy it, because this dealership screwed into the front bumper an ugly plate (in TN we don't need front plates).

No Control
12-18-2003, 01:30 PM
They didn't require a credit report, just the paper work ready to go. It was their way of making sure people were serious.
I agree it's not an overly expensive car, but it is a specialty model.

California requires 2 plates, and all the other Mach's had the dealer tag in front. They did have the right color and transmission for what I was looking for, and it didn't have the plate. I was very expicit about not putting one on there, as I would be attempting to register it in florida, where we don't need the front. Besides, I've already got the plate (from the V6 trade in) that goes with my original plate on the 98 (NO CNTRL). IN CTRL.

JeffreyDJ
12-18-2003, 01:42 PM
I guess my point is, they should be able to tell if your serious before that. I made a return trip the next morning specifically to test drive it. Heck, he got to test drive my car, and I got squat. In other words, I wasted a ton of time for nothing. I could have been at work instead, or sleeping in.

And, if the paperwork is in Finance ... They're pulling a report. You've shown intent and signed everything you need. Why else send it to finance? It's a way for them to control the situation. If you've gone that far, you've already bought it for all intents and purposes. They should SELL you the car, not make you buy it before they sell it. If that makes sense.

I'm not going to waste an hour of anyones time (especially mine) haggling over price for something I haven't test driven. I do agree, they shouldn't just let anyone test drive, otherwise everyone and their brother would want to do it.

I'm willing to bet that this specific sales ploy lost them more sales then gained them (at my specific dealership, and across the country). I got the exact same color and options (IUP) I wanted at a different dealership ... And I'll never go back there again (even if they are technically the local dealership). There is always someone out there that wants to sell you a car. Don't settle for 2nd class treatment.

A Boxster is a speciality product as well, no problems there. As consumers we shouldn't expect that kind of treatment.

mrmstng
12-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Agreed and very well put Jeff.:THUMBSUP:

hotrodnut
12-18-2003, 02:19 PM
I'm going to jump in on this one again because I can see both sides of a person wanting to test drive the Car they want to buy and like me, the person who wants to buy a "new" Car, not one that has been test driven, test abused, test for a first timer with a clutch, first time Muscle Car buyer, joy rider or whatever test you want to call it.

I walked off the lot at a Dealer when I wanted to buy a NEW GT and went by the Dealer for a look at them. I had called and asked what NEW ones they had on the lot first and how they were equipped. So one certain one sounded great, Black, 5-speed, etc. and I show up to see it. He asks if I want to drive it the first thing I get there. I say no, I just want to look at it. As I was walking over to it, I could see the rear tires where shredded from someone doing burnouts! I get closer and could see scratches all around the drivers door handle from who knows what. The side around the trunk had a big long scratch, the rocker panels looked as though they had been kicked a 100 times, the gearshift knob was all scratched, cigarette ashes were all over the floor, the radio lens was scratched and on and on with this NEW Car looking used to me. So I get inside and turn the key on to check mileage, it's got over 300 "test drive" miles on it! I told them I wanted a NEW Car not just one that hadn't been titled for Gods sake!

I asked to see another one without any "test drive" miles on it and out of all the GT's there, not 1 had not been test-driven! :mad: So told them to call me when they got a new one in and then we'd talk.

The whole point to my rambling is, I want a new Car to be new and I think there should be a "Demo" Car available for people to test drive, not pick one out and go drive it! I feel when I'm prepared to buy a Car, I have enough knowledge of Cars and what I want, to know what it will do without driving it. Yes, after I decide on which one and am taking delivery, then I want to drive it and see if everything is up to my expectations. If at that time it's not, we'll void the deal or make it right for me.

One last thing, if my Mach had been test driven, I would not have bought it, period. What I expected the Car to be it was and I had no gripes on my initial drive, for that matter, I still don't!
:THUMBSUP:

02mach1
12-18-2003, 02:21 PM
In our state is the law a salemans have go with you on testdrives,

"But" everytime I test drive a car a saleman never goes, they are to busy making sales or going out playing golf:confused:

No Control
12-18-2003, 03:06 PM
That brings up an interesting question:
Bleed Blue, did you or one of your other sales reps go on the test drive? You/they are ok, I hope.

If so, did you/them notice the "driver" about to do something stupid? I.e., not driving for the given weather conditions, turning the traction control off? These cars, if driven in the rain, (I have to also) need the traction control then!

Insurance aside, if a sales rep went with and didn't stop the tester from doing something stupid, it could be the dealers fault. In this country, with all the sue happy people out there, I would bet that it could come back and bite the dealer in the butt.

The salesperson did go on the test ride with me, and he knew my racing background. Not saying that I'm all that, but I do have quite a few events logged down, and a few laps recorded at over 160mph in my 98! He felt confident in my ability to handle a "high horsepower" car in a "performance" environment. He had me bring the car up to what I was comfortable with, as he'ld (:rolleyes: ) never been in one, at speed. I accelerated on the freeway in 3rd up to 6K, shifted to 4th, and brought the car to 5500 until backing off the throttle. That was when I knew I had to have the car. In addition, I wasn't too upset about not being able to test the car before signing papers, as it was I expressed my intent to purchase THAT car.

Now, let's say that this was a car you were about to purchase. Would you be happy with it if you knew that people were doing the same?:ANGEL:

stangdiablo
12-18-2003, 04:15 PM
I have a fleet account with ford, i went and spoke to the fleet manager, he gave me the keys and said "just go around the corner before you lite them up." needless to say, i dident buy the one i test drove :ANGEL: :!!:

JeffreyDJ
12-18-2003, 04:21 PM
hotrodnut -- you were basically saying they should not let anyone test drive a car. That is different even then what I was arguing for. If no test drives, there are no test drives -- but they won't sell many cars.

Making you fill out tons of paperwork and haggle about price before you test drive isn't stopping miles being put on from people just looking to have fun for a few miles. I could have lied and agreed to sticker to test drive the silly thing.

I was serious about buying a car, as I think most of us were. Its just I wasn't willing to stand for 2nd rate service. I too knew all about the Mach 1, and done my research. But I wasn't willing to waste my time if the test drive wasn't up to my expectations. As it turned out, it was -- and I bought elsewhere.

If a car had 300 miles on it already and was in that bad of shape, methinks the salemen have been having fun, or the dealership didn't care. Most dealerships are not like that.

GaPonyFarm
12-18-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by P Machy
OMFG!!!!

****...so who is responsible for the damaged....or totalled car?

I wouldnt want to be the customer :SMASH:

I'd rather crash the dealer's Mach than my own!

That customer must live by the rule:
Crash the red one, but buy the blue one!:HOPPY:

starscream
12-18-2003, 06:29 PM
I bet it's totalled. I can tell by looking at the edge where the front fender meets the drivers door. It's all warped. That only happens when the frame is severly bent. Unfortunately, I have experience in this:

http://www.starscream.com/mustang

zammit
12-18-2003, 06:55 PM
Yup good safe rule crash one red Mach.....and buy one slower blue one.....it's safer that way!

CrissyCobra
12-19-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by loveOliver
Looks like someone should rip her apart and make a road racer out of her. If I only had the money and time to do such a thing. I would love to build the car from the bones up...i can't though, not now.

ryan

You are reading my mind! I would absolutely take it and
make it a dedicated race car, but I doubt they'd sell it on a
salvage title.

SVTSnake
12-19-2003, 07:30 PM
As I can see both sides of the stories here, the way my dealer handled it I thought was both fair and honest...

The first time I went down to the dealer, I test drove a 03 GT 5 speed convertable (I went out wanting a convertable as that was my main gripe with my 95 Cobra). After driving it, I thought to myself what a dog compared to my 95 Cobra. So I knew the GT's were not going to do it for me in stock trim, so I started looking at the Cobra's on the lot. Looking at the prices and being in sticker shock (I paid $21K for my Cobra in 95 out the door), I told him I would be back tomorrow and would think about the GT again. That was when I spotted my Mach 1 in the rear lot leaving tucked in with about 20 other Cobra's in overstock. I ran back inside and talked to the salesperson again. Took a look at the car and went back inside and talked again to the salesperson. He told me that they couldn't test drive either a Cobra, Mach 1, Lightning, or Thunderbird unless the person was really seriously thinking about buying it. They required to run a credit check up front just to make sure that you qualified for the loan. I for one totally agree upon this term as there wasn't 1 Cobra on the lot with over 5 miles on the odometer, and my Mach 1 only had 2 miles on it!

I didn't fill out a credit app that night, instead I went home and thought about it, then filled out the information online on their website. The next morning, at about 9am when they opened, the internet sales manager called me, got some information, gave me an appointment time after work to meet him and that was it. I walked into the dealership that evening, took her for a spin with the salesman present, got to get into it a little, returned back to the dealer, signed the contract, and was out the door!

If I am buying a NEW car, I definitely do not want one with over 10-15 miles on it! This policy cuts down on this by only having serious buyers looking at them. At the same time, this could push people away from pursuing the vehicle as well. However, when I saw only 2 miles on the odometer, that made me very happy! What did kinda piss me off the 1st night though, was the salesman lack of wanting to show me the Mach 1 (he wouldn't even get the key to open the doors up). Needless to say the next night, I walked up to his desk before leaving, and told him die to him being a *********, he lost the sale and his buddy was taking home the sale instead (boy was he pissed, moron!).

:THUMBSUP:

02mach1
12-19-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by CrissyCobra
You are reading my mind! I would absolutely take it and
make it a dedicated race car, but I doubt they'd sell it on a
salvage title.

Hey Crissy how about you buy it made road race car out of it for Kent so he have Mach1 too.;)

hotrodnut
12-19-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by JeffreyDJ
hotrodnut -- you were basically saying they should not let anyone test drive a car. That is different even then what I was arguing for. If no test drives, there are no test drives -- but they won't sell many cars.

Nah Jeffrey, that's not what I said, I said, "......I think there should be a "Demo" Car available for people to test drive, not pick one out and go drive it! ......." along with other things, basicly, not just pick one out and drive it . . . . drive a Demo. :THUMBSUP:

bleed blue
12-20-2003, 02:18 AM
Yes a salesman was in the car at the time (required at our store).
To demo a car they take a copy of the drvrs lic prior to leaving.
I guess he almost passed his frwy exit. Salesman said to just catch the next one, but the cust tried to make it anyway. Dove across 3 lanes and hit the brakes hard, tail came around and it was "pottytime" after that. Not real sure how fast they were going but I would assume it was a good pace. They hit the wall hard. It's hard to tell from the photos but the car is wacked for sure. Only straight part is the roof. The frt clip is moved back and over about 6 in. Doors are pushed back & even the decklid sticks up about 1/2 inch fwd edge , drvrs side. A moment of silence for the passing of a mach please....................

JeffreyDJ
12-20-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by hotrodnut
Nah Jeffrey, that's not what I said, I said, "......I think there should be a "Demo" Car available for people to test drive, not pick one out and go drive it! ......." along with other things, basicly, not just pick one out and drive it . . . . drive a Demo. :THUMBSUP:

Well, I SUPPOSE I wouldn't disagree with that. But not many dealers can afford the luxury of a dedicated demo.

And, I'd still want to drive the car I was buying :)

Ford4me
12-20-2003, 12:27 PM
I would not buy a car I can't test drive. I don't treat it like a test pilot, it isn't broken in yet but I have to see if I like the feel and handling. I have driven several cobras, machs, and vettes and the vette turned me off becasuse of poor visibility and the roll pan is sunken causing you to crawl into it istead of slipping into the seat. Beside that the vette is too much like a refined sports car. I want thrashing and banging going on thru the gears and I love the way the Mach makes the ladies scream.

:!!:

CrissyCobra
12-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by 02mach1
Hey Crissy how about you buy it made road race car out of it for Kent so he have Mach1 too.;)

For Kent?! What are you smokin'?! :D We share nicely, and
besides he still has his '96 Cobra to play with!

02mach1
12-22-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by CrissyCobra
For Kent?! What are you smokin'?! :D We share nicely, and
besides he still has his '96 Cobra to play with!

Boy Kent miss be bad boy this year no new Mach1 for Chirstmas:MADNOEL:

Poisoned Pony
12-22-2003, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by bleed blue
Yes a salesman was in the car at the time (required at our store).
To demo a car they take a copy of the drvrs lic prior to leaving.
I guess he almost passed his frwy exit. Salesman said to just catch the next one, but the cust tried to make it anyway. Dove across 3 lanes and hit the brakes hard, tail came around and it was "pottytime" after that. Not real sure how fast they were going but I would assume it was a good pace. They hit the wall hard. It's hard to tell from the photos but the car is wacked for sure. Only straight part is the roof. The frt clip is moved back and over about 6 in. Doors are pushed back & even the decklid sticks up about 1/2 inch fwd edge , drvrs side. A moment of silence for the passing of a mach please....................

was it down in 99? The route I went on during my test drive was 99 south to Grant Line, then up the frontage road back to the auto mall. I just saw this Mach in 1 piece a few weeks back when I dropped in the parts department for an oil filter :(