PDA

View Full Version : anyone driven with changed gears?

YellowMenace
12-17-2003, 08:34 PM
I'm getting a PI stallion converter, the "jerry" mods to the auto tranny, alum. driveshaft, throttle body, axles, and 4.10 gears in my 03 Mach 1 this week. I have my deposit down for the Beaumont SCT dyno tune.
Has anyone driven on gears without a tune?
Will I be OK driving from Houston to Beaumont for the tune?

I know know my low speed shifts will be early and my speedo will probably be off significantly

InDShadow
12-17-2003, 09:11 PM
changing your vehicles gears does not require a tune. the only time you would need a dyno tune is if you have done a substantial amount of work..ie: addition of nitrous or SC. any other motor modification that will change the A/F ratio. Getting a dyno tune now with little or no engine mods will only enhance the performance of a basically stock motor very little. for the cost of the dyno tune and only getting a handful of HP which will not be noticed I feel it will be a waste of money. I would use this money for a H-pipe, underdrive pullies, MAF, LCA's...etc

with you having the automatic they will have to correct the speedo with a chip because of the gears. The chip will help with shift points and shift firmness along with the speed correction as I stated.

so the answer to your question about harming the motor traveling from beaumont to houston. No you will not do anything but add on bogus miles if the speedo isn't corrected.

funk
12-17-2003, 11:48 PM
I've driven my car since last March on 4.10s and still have not change the speedos. Took it to Neworleans and Austin with no problems.

YellowMenace
12-17-2003, 11:55 PM
I guess I'll have to be more specific.....I don't think you guys without tunes are driving automatics. I thought the torque converter and shift point statement would be a big enough clue. I may not necessarily need a dyno tune, but I definitely will have to have a chip/reflash with the gear ratio or the tranny will have a bad time. The speedo correction is secondary. I too have driven my 94 V6 for some time with speedo error, but pre 99 cars didn't have a separate Vehicle Speed Sensor for the tranny program.

The problem will arise when the computer can't reconcile the VSS, the speedo sensor, and the tach.

Could I hear from the automatic crowd now? Preferably those that know the answer from experience.