PDA

View Full Version : Auto tranny may have problem at WOT

YellowMenace
12-17-2003, 11:43 AM
If you go all the way through the 3-4 shift at WOT while OD is on you may burn up your overdrive band. I did this one time and when my transmission guy took apart my tranny he said the band was smoked. I did it at about 1700 miles just to see what it would do. At first I thought the 3-4 shift was the speed limiter at about 105mph.

The reason we are taking the tranny apart is to build it up for drag racing. He was shocked when he saw the OD band in this brand new (3300 miles) tranny. Apparently Ford has a spring in place that effectively inhibits the 3-4 shift. He feels that we will probably see these things die in mass.

Has anyone had an OD failure yet?

This transmission is somewhat different from the standard GT. I'll post the particulars when I get a full report.

RogueGT
12-17-2003, 10:00 PM
Woooo, am I comfused. In the auto trans there is no 3-4 shift., only 3rd gear, then OD. Sooo, whats the question????

Starsky
12-17-2003, 10:15 PM
I never drive in O/D unless its highway traveling...and I always have O/D off especially when accelerating from a stop..is this wrong?

YellowMenace
12-18-2003, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by RogueGT
Woooo, am I comfused. In the auto trans there is no 3-4 shift., only 3rd gear, then OD. Sooo, whats the question????

You're over-analyzing my post.....it's common to call the last shift the 3-4 shift. Have you ever read the TCCOA article by Jerry Wobelesky (sp?). Jerry is one of the guy that formed Fordchip and now Superchips Custom Tuning. He is a computer tuning and transmission guru. He developed some standard automatic tranny mods that now bear his name (the jerry mods) on numerous Ford message boards. Jerry wrote a good deal of the code in the Ford ECUs. He is also the guy that's gonna do my dyno tune on the 28th. Here is a link to his original TCCOA article:

TCCOA Jerry Mod Stuff (http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/index.shtml)

The article is a little dated but you will see references to it on www.mercurymarauder.net www.v6power.net and others.

I am having my tranny guy do his own version of this mod right now. I have been a little surprised that I haven't seen references to this before on this board but I think the large majority of 5-speed owners may account for it.

vanstang
12-18-2003, 06:30 PM
I had a problem with my overdrive going out. Ford replaced my whole transmission. So far it works pretty good. Maybe because a have a Superchip Tuner on it. I reprogrammed the shift points.

YellowMenace
12-18-2003, 08:40 PM
The overdrive going out would have ultimately been what happened to me. The only real reason I caught it early is that I had the tranny torn down for another reason.