PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Remote starters

Redthunder03
12-15-2003, 12:52 PM
Anyone know anything about these and where i can get them? My father whats one for his new Sport Trak. Seems like a great Christmas present!

Any help would be great. I know nothing about them.

falcongtho3
12-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Most of your more reputable audio/alarm shops do this type of work. The manufacturer we deal with is 'Code Alarm' and we have dealt with them for a number of years and they have been very good to deal with.

Redthunder03
12-15-2003, 01:44 PM
what kind of cost are we looking at! Do you have a web site for them?

falcongtho3
12-15-2003, 07:51 PM
I'm, not at work today so I don't have anything there to give you as far as an address. We sell a full remote start for about $500 installed including alarm and remote entry. The alarm includes ignition kill, entry coverage as well as impact protection. Yuo can also get it without the alarm for about $350 installed. I'm sure prices will vary depending on the area you're in. I'd also check your local phone book for a list of audio/alarm installers in your area. I'd also ask people you know as far as any recommendations of local shops. No matter how good a system you buy, if the person doing the install is inept you'll have more grief than pleasure from any system you buy, and I know that is not your intention here.

rcode99
12-15-2003, 08:30 PM
P.S. If you folk's car is under warranty and relatively new, you might consider having the dealer do it so it doesn't void their car's electrical system warranty. I had a dealer install on a couple of Fords. They were somewhere between $275 and $350 without an alarm system. One system has been in 5 years and still works.

GaPonyFarm
12-15-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Redthunder03
Anyone know anything about these and where i can get them? My father whats one for his new Sport Trak. Seems like a great Christmas present!

Any help would be great. I know nothing about them.

You can get just a plain vanilla remote start w/keyless entry for starting around $100.00 going up to $350.00, plus installation. Check out Circuit City. They also have great deals on installation, in many locations, during this time of year. A remote starter is not rocket science and is a pretty easy self install. Its the alarm systems that make things complicated, and expensive, on newer cars.

falcongtho3
12-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Do not try this yourself. The better systems have engine protection systems built in where they monitor engine speed so that it does not over-rev the motor accidentally, also there will be a self timer so that the vehicle will shut off after about 15 minutes. Also one that is tied into remote entry is what you want because you don't want an open running vehicle there for the taking, and the better systems have it to where if you step on the gas or brake before engagine the key it will think it's being stolen and shut down. Often dealers will have installed aftermarket pieces as well, so if you decide to go 'dealer installed' make sure of the brand, warranty, and if they tell you it;s a Ford piece have them show it to you first.

POLSMACH03
12-16-2003, 09:22 AM
These are for autos only correct??? Never seen one for a stick.

falcongtho3
12-16-2003, 11:56 PM
Definitly only for auto tranny vehicles. Though someone with even minor knowhow could bypass the clutch safety switch on a stick car (I've seen it done), I wouldn't recommend it. Starting a car that has accidentally been left in gear would most likely end up with a long post on here and a lot of :eek: :LAUGH: :D