PDA

View Full Version : Muscle car wars are back on!!!!

1YLDRYD
12-13-2003, 07:52 PM
I went by a local pontiac dealer today and picked up a GTO brochure. They didn't have any cars yet but they have 3 on the way. You could tell that the sales people are really looking forward to there arrival and they were talking all kinds of $h!t about the GTO and how fast it is and how it will lay waist to my Mach1 and give the Cobra all it can handle. I did a good job of representing us Mach1 owners and fans and assured them that although the new GTO was a great performance car that it would not beat the Mach1. I had a crowd of salesman around me and my Mach1 when as I was looking thru the brochure, 1 of the salesman pointed to the pic of the GTO's motor and said "just look at that, your Mach1 doesn't stand a chance" I pointed to the 2 fake plastic valve cover covers that say GTO and told the salesman and others that it's going to take more then cheap plastic gimmicks to beat the Mach1, they had no clue that those are just covers made to make the motor look like it has DOHC heads. Anyway I asked 1 of the very proud salesman for his card and a pen, I wrote my name and phone number on it and handed it back to him and told him and the rest of them to call me when the GTOs show up and I'll come down and we can line them up and see what we see, but you won't want any potential customers watching because after seeing the GTO get it's @$$ handed to it they'll probably go buy a Cobra. :D ... This was the best bench racing @$$ whooping I ever layed on anyone:LAUGH: Oh-ya when I drove off I left nice little 2nd and 3rd gear scratches for them:gears: :THUMBSUP:

surfnet
12-13-2003, 07:58 PM
:yeh: Good job! Everything I've read indicates the Mach (stock vs stock) will be a tad faster than the Goat. Guess without the Camaros & Firebirds, the GM boys don't have much to brag about!

:CHEERS:

JeffreyDJ
12-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Either Motor Trend or Car and Driver said the same thing. Even though the GTO has more HP technically, it was far heavier, and the TQ differntial wasn't as great. They got the Mach 1 in 13.2 in one article (manual) and fastest in GTO was a little over 14 in the article I read. Thats a fairly wide difference.

I'll try and find the linkys I reference and post. Otherwise this post was useless.

;)

codymach
12-13-2003, 08:20 PM
Well said.....it will be fun to watch the GTO's fall across the country....ugly and slower....not a good combination!:LAUGH:

Schaner78
12-13-2003, 08:23 PM
That little-ol grand prix will never stand a chance!
oops! they both look the same but I mean GTO will also go down in Flames:!!:

JeffreyDJ
12-13-2003, 08:26 PM
Musclecars are about going fast and looking good getting there. GTO has part of that down, too bad Pontaic sucks in the car design department.

codymach
12-13-2003, 09:08 PM
"Telephone company fleet car" is still the best description I have heard yet on the new GTO.:D

SirHailstone
12-13-2003, 09:08 PM
Never mind the fact that the new GTO is an import - from Australia.
It's a reworked Holden Monaro, which is an Australian "muscle car" .. Though even down under Ford's Falcon and Ford GT has the Holden Commodore and Holden Monaro with their tails between thair a**es.

:gears:

badjoey
12-14-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by codymach
"Telephone company fleet car" is still the best description I have heard yet on the new GTO.:D

now thats funny

hotrodnut
12-14-2003, 10:53 AM
Great job 1YLDRYD! :THUMBSUP: I can't wait to see the new Goat get put out in the fields to eat grass by the Mach!

Let the Muscle Car Wars begin :COOL: :HOPPY:

bryano
12-14-2003, 11:04 AM
Even if the the new Goat was every bit as fast as the Mach - this will be good for us. I like competition - and the closer the better.
That's the fun of running bone stock - it's more driver vs driver than who runs the most mods. I'll be looking for the new GTO with anticipation! :CHEERS:

Steelhorse
12-14-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by bryano
Even if the the new Goat was every bit as fast as the Mach - this will be good for us. I like competition - and the closer the better.
That's the fun of running bone stock - it's more driver vs driver than who runs the most mods. I'll be looking for the new GTO with anticipation! :CHEERS:

Well said Bryano

Modifications / 429 BOSS engine

falcongtho3
12-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Great, musclecar wars are on and they're bringing a knife to a gunfight!:ANGEL:

Mustanganatic
12-14-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by falcongtho3
Great, musclecar wars are on and they're bringing a knife to a gunfight!:ANGEL:
:LAUGH: :LAUGH: :LAUGH:

rnoggle
12-14-2003, 06:21 PM
actually, I think bringing back the GTO is good thing. It just needs a little more muscle and a more aggresive appaerance. but it's a step in the right direction..
Next, they need to bring back the Camaro/Firebird platform with the current vette engine.
I'm old enough to remember the muscle car wars of the late '60's and early '70's (vaguely). Talk about some bad a** cars!!!!
Manufacturer Competition is the BEST thing that can happen to our hobby. If GM steps up with a killer machine, Ford will respond in kind. so on and so on.
As long as the Cobra and Mach 1 and even the GT are leading the way, the others are going to aim for that status. Should they reach it, Ford will up the ante. The true winners are US, the muscle car buying public.

loveOliver
12-14-2003, 06:40 PM
Just a note on other car companies reaching for Ford's performance levels:

Ford knows how to bring the competition to its knees and then raise the bar even higher. The SVT Lighting. Nothing was able to touch it. Ford continued to up the ante until Dodge released the Ram SRT10. I read a review of it and (just some crap bench racing) the times weren't as good as the same magazine's times for the Lightning. I can't wait to see some Lightning vs. SRT 10 track competition.

The GTO excites me too.

Ford all the way!

r

bryano
12-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Are those...mud flaps...on your...Mach??:MADNOEL:

As Sly Stone said: Different Strokes for Different Folks!:COOL:

DoU12Rock
12-14-2003, 08:42 PM
That is perfect..:LAUGH:
bring dem baaaaaaad billy goat to Houston Raceway park.
I let ya get a good look at my a**end
not even in the competition ballpark with the 5sp Mach 1
i read about a stock goat doing 13.6
i ran 13.6 the first time I ever run at the track
i'm consistently in the low 13's now on stock rubber
i spend at least 2 tenths just trying to get traction....

Mach 1 Boy
12-14-2003, 08:48 PM
There is nothing, and I mean NOTHING I hate worse then car salesman trying to talk sh*t about how great a car is when they usually know a lot less then me! I ALWAYS know more then those idiotic car salesmen! The GTO is WAY heavier, and I saw it post 0-60 times of 5.3 seconds in some review. That is not that great for a car that has 350 horsepower and looks like a Chevy Cavalier!

Thanks, but no thanks. I'll take my Mach. Bring on the GTO's and I'll slap those "goats" asses back to the stone age! :cool:

forcefed
12-15-2003, 12:29 AM
you tell em 1YLDRYD. I wish i could of seen it in person.
:THUMBSUP: :D

surfnet
12-15-2003, 01:01 AM
Mach 1 :gears:

GTO :headbang:

Mach1Pony
12-15-2003, 01:19 AM
I think the new Goat is a nice family car for the wife to drive around and get groceries in.:D

I think they jumped the gun on re-introducing the GTO. They should have made it look more retro like Ford did with our Mach IMHO.

MikeMach1
12-15-2003, 02:09 AM

ummmm, I was happy with this line, until I read who said it- Brock Yates, and his opinion holds no value with me after the dreaded review of the Mach 1. He should stick to reviewing Honda's and Toyota's only, he holds no value to reviewing any sports or muscle car. but that is JMHO.

The current GTO looks like it is gonna have some big limitations, one I could think of right off the bat is the tires and wheels, those wheel wells don't look very deep. Weight is gonna be another issue. The exterior design is very boring and bland. I have to say it has a really nice looking interior though.

- Mike

bossmach
12-15-2003, 02:30 AM
the new goat may be fast, but you also need some style to go with it, imho. the gto looks like a cross between a cavalier and a honda civic, even if i were a gm fan, i couldn't get past that!

1YLDRYD
12-15-2003, 02:42 AM
We are indeed lucky because the musclecar wars are on again and hopefully there will be more cars coming like the GTO and Mach1 and Cobra. I know that Ford and GM have been going at it for awhile with the Mustang and Camaro/Firebird but lets face it, 225 horsepower isn't what we would call muscle. I've been a Ford man all my life but I love all the old musclecars, I hope the manufacturers bring them all back. I get a woody just thinking about being in the next lane over from a new GTO at a redlight, that will be one sweet sight when the light turns green.:THUMBSUP: Bring em all on.
Will mod as needed:D

STICK
12-15-2003, 10:04 AM
I read one article and for a "con" on the new GTO, it stated the new GTO looked like a large Cavalier. That about sums it up!

:mrt:

Shaker Dan
12-15-2003, 11:21 AM
I just can't wait for them to get out there. I really want to get the @$$ whippings going. I am so tired of hearing the GM boys talk about the GTO. I guess when you have nothing else to talk about you have to find the next best thing. The GTO is a badge placed on a Grand Prix/Grand Am hybrid. There is nothing retro to it and nothing that sends it back to it's history. The Mustang V6 and GT link back to the tradition and the Mach 1 screams it!!!!! I would have been a big fan of the GTO if they just would have given it a little history, even if it is slower.

mach1dsg
12-15-2003, 01:11 PM
well that car would not be a grocery getter :). it's ugly, , i remember last year here in the la autoshow i had the oportunity to step inside and it looks really nice inside. also the sound of the exhaust is really good, nothing like the old gto but good for an sport car. the problem with that car is the lack of look :),it represents the name but nothing else. there is nothing on that car, but the engine,you can call muscle car.actually if you install one of those honda wings it would look like another rice out car on the street.
i was a chevrolet fan for years until i got my mach, i can tell you guys i would pick any 4th gen camaro over that crap named gto any time of the day :). of course now that i have a mach i'm not looking backwards.

i think we weight 400 lbs less than a gto.
motortrend rated the 0-60 mph in 5.3 sec and 1/4 mile in 13.62 at 104.78 mph, braking 60ft-0 in 120 ft.

now they rated the mach1 0-60 in 5.3 sec and 1/4 mile in 13.8 sec at 102.5 braking 60-0 in 120 ft

That's all over the 5.2 to 60 and 13.5 at 107.3 posted by the last Camaro SS they tested

and according to them the SVT Cobra gets to 60 in just 4.7 sec and does the quarter in 12.8 at 113.2 mph.

so we know now that the mach 1 is faster than 13.8 with good traction and a good driver. i've read here that you can go 13.2 with stock car/tires and a good driver on our mach's. so it would be a driver match and i think it would interesting to have them besides you
we would see soon, but i really believe that mach 1 would win again :):CHEERS:

VANILLAMACHSHAKE
12-15-2003, 01:46 PM
(_!_) is all they will ever see of me:smokin:

'70 Vert
12-16-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by 1YLDRYD
they were talking all kinds of $h!t about the GTO and how fast it is and how it will lay waist to my Mach1 and give the Cobra all it can handle.

In their dreams.

It might give the Mach a decent run, but the Cobra would tear that goat a new a-hole.