PDA

View Full Version : Break in period?

virgs04mach1
12-12-2003, 03:05 PM
I need some help, its my first new car, I bought an 04 mach 1 5sp, I keep hearing different things about how long I should break it in for (the dealer told me I didn't have to at all), when I should do the first oil change, and also if and when I should go synthetic. So if anyone could shed some light on this procedure, I would really appreciate it.
Virg

hotrodnut
12-12-2003, 07:22 PM
Everyone has different opnions on this it seems . . . . :confused:

I am old school and feel an engine's metal parts needs "cured". I also believe that the oil needs changed often while breaking in to clear of metal bits and prolong engine life.

That said, I broke mine in as follows:

Drove it home, changed the oil and filter with the recommended Motorcraft 5W20 Premium Synthetic Blend Oil (6qts) and a Motorcraft FL-820S Filter.

Drove it for the first 500 miles with lots of heat cycles, varying RPM's consistently and trying to keep the heat cycles at 25 miles and let it cool to ambient temperature before driving again. Each heat cycle I would increase the RPM's a little (eventually getting to over 6000), never using full throttle or lugging the engine.

At 500 miles, another oil and filter change using what I used the first time. I took it out and warmed it up good for a few miles and red-lined a full throttle run through the first 3 gears and brought it home for a cool down. I kept the varying RPM's deal going, and increased the heat cycle drives to 50 miles.

At 750 miles another full throttle red-line run through the first 3 gears.

At 1000 miles, another oil and filter change using what I used the first time. I took it out and warmed it up good again and red-lined a full throttle run through 4 gears this time and brought it home for a cool down.

From then on, I have driven it like I want.

I changed the oil and filter again at 2000 miles, and being the Mobil 1 fan that I am, switched to the fully Synthetic 5W30. I kept reading that it didn't meet the Ford spec # so I switched to the Motorcraft 5W20 Full Synthetic pt# XO-5W20-QFS at 2250 miles.

I also was reading about the Mobil 1 fully Synthetic 0W20 Oil meeting the Ford spec # and again being the Mobil 1 fan that I am, switched to that at 3000 miles. I was confused :??: as you can see on which oil to use but have settled in on the 0w20 Mobil 1.

To make my story short . . . . some have driven off the lot, hammered the pee out of it from that time on, changed the oil at the recommended service times and have had no problems that I know of! :THUMBSUP:

MikeMach1
12-12-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by hotrodnut
. . . . some have driven off the lot, hammered the pee out of it from that time on, changed the oil at the recommended service times and have had no problems that I know of! :THUMBSUP:

I think it was put good by 03AV8R:
Originally posted by 03AV8R
You might be a Mach1 Neck if: "The rubber you laid down outta the dealers parking lot was longer than the fine print on the Warranty pamphlets you tossed in the back seat" :CHEERS:

:LAUGH:

Some people like to baby it until 1000 miles, others like to drive hard on it right out of the lot.

also, welcome to the registry :CHEERS:

JeffreyDJ
12-12-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by MikeMach1
I think it was put good by 03AV8R:

:LAUGH:

Some people like to baby it until 1000 miles, others like to drive hard on it right out of the lot.

also, welcome to the registry :CHEERS:

I think I'm a mix of that :)

I'm not getting anywhere near redline .. but I'm trying to vary the RPM's quiet a bit, but also not revving TOO TOO much just yet. I'm at 500 miles. Trying to wait to 1000, at which time I'll probably change the oil and filter (and then again at 3000 miles, just because its free).

erikf
12-12-2003, 10:10 PM
It had been 15 yrs since I had a 5spd. So it took until I could shift correctly (3-5 days) before I really hammered it:p