PDA

View Full Version : Wheels

MACH1STUNNER
10-27-2002, 12:12 AM
WHat wheels are on this car. Those special ones in the booklet look like crap are there other wheels from ford to get,....:HOPPY:

Bart
10-27-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by MACH1STUNNER
WHat wheels are on this car. Those special ones in the booklet look like crap are there other wheels from ford to get,....:HOPPY: If you don't even know what wheels come on the car, perhaps you should do some research before proclaiming they look like crap. :SMASH:

Try checking out the Photos Section and the 03 Mustang Brochure. The answers are there - All the Machs will have the same wheels.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Over 6000 potential owners liked them well enough to buy the car. Apparently, some of us just happen to think they are cool.:THUMBSUP:

03MachforMe
10-27-2002, 01:14 AM
actually, I think they look like crap too. The wheels are definitely something I am looking into replacing. I'll keep the originals for buyers down the road like you, but really now, do you have to beat up on this guy because he doesn't like them?

1BADMACH1
10-27-2002, 01:14 AM
who is this clown?:rolleyes: :SMASH:

Bart
10-27-2002, 01:59 AM
I merely stated my opinion, same as MACH1STUNNER did. It just so happens our opinions differ.
I was not trying to flame him. Sorry if you took it personal - It wasn't meant that way at all.
New people to this site are always welcome. I personally have spent much time posting so as to share info and try to help all members. At the same time new members are adults and as such, are responsible for what they post. Perhaps if you had reviewed MACH1STUNNER's other posts (as I did), then you might just understand why I posted the way I did.

One thing that makes this site great is that people can speak freely. Hope you have a better day.:) :) :)

Canna dan
10-27-2002, 09:26 AM
If you are referring to the Magnum 500 spoked wheels, then I can't understand why you don't like them! They were on the original 69's and Ford has re-introduced them for this car only. I personally love the idea, and am quite impressed with the look.Maybe it's a little too retro for you, but for me, it was one of the main reasons I ordered one.:HOPPY:

1 BULLITT
10-27-2002, 09:52 AM
I also like the Mach 1's wheels, I think it is the perfect fit and compliments the theme of the car, just like Cobra and Bullitt wheels match their respective models. Also for anyone that has had a older Mustang with the original Magnum 500, the new version is 100% improvement: bigger, wider, and most important, easier to clean.

FLYN_MACH1
10-27-2002, 09:52 AM
I do admit that they look different in person than in all the pictures I have seen.

I wasn't exactly thrilled about them until I saw the car in the Living Legends tour and decided that they weren't that bad and help to reinforce that MACH 1 look.

If you still don't like them after seeing them in person then you have a couple of nice options that still keep that Mach theme going.

First off is the 17" Magnum 500s that are more like the original design and IMO are a better looking wheel.
You can find them at http://www.wheelvintiques.com/

Secondly, you could go with the wheels that are cheaper and easier to come by and that were on the prototype/concept car. Theses were the 17" Bullit rims that most of the 02' GTs have and are a great remake of the orginial Torque Thrust wheels of the 60's and IMO would look great...especially on a DSG colored Mach 1.

There are hundreds of others out there of course but it is ultimately up to you on what looks good. Whatever you decide to do, keep the original rims and put them in storage for when you ever decide to sell the car...it will help keep the resale value a lot higher with the original rims on the car.

69mach03
10-27-2002, 10:07 AM
This comment is not in favor for those who wish to make their Mach I a sleeper car, but I feel as if the stripes, shaker, spoiler, emblems (of course), and the WHEELS make the 2003 Mach I what it is. I personally don't want to be mistaken for "another 6 cylinder", or even a GT, in that matter. I like the wheels, and there is no doubt that I am leaving them on there. :CHEERS:

69mach03
10-27-2002, 10:08 AM
I was also impressed with the usage of a "triple bar pony emblem" on the wheels from the beginning. :)

02mach1
10-27-2002, 10:28 AM
If you don't the Mach1 wheels is up to you here's, what was on the protype Mach1 The Bullitt wheels,

02mach1
10-27-2002, 10:37 AM
Or the new Magmun 500 wheels from www.classic-designconcepts.com

03MachforMe
10-27-2002, 11:06 AM
That is what I would have liked to see honoring the Magnum 500's from Ford, but it is all just opinion.

I also agree that the wheels look better in person. The most deceptive thing about them in pictures is that they usually capture zero depth. They look so darn FLAT! Those other versions have more depth to them. I like that.

Bart
10-27-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by 02mach1

It does not apper that Classic Design Concepts offers these wheels. FLYN_MACH1 has it right, check on http://www.wheelvintiques.com/billet.html

1BADMACH1
10-27-2002, 02:00 PM
I didn't like the wheels at first but they are growing on me. I will keep mine on the car no question about it. It makes the car a little different. Who wants to be like everyone else with the cobra r wheels. Not that I don't like the cobra r wheel but just think there are too many people that have them. I think once people start seeing the wheels they will start to grow on them.

Dr.Bleed
10-27-2002, 03:19 PM
They deffinatly grew on me. Its strange when I see something new. I like it, but then it starts to look "not so great" to me. Then it starts growing on me. I dont know why I'm like that with some things... but I am! :D

falcongtho3
10-27-2002, 07:06 PM
In the same way I really like the Bullitt wheels on my Laser Red '01 GT, I really think the 'Heritage' wheels look 'right' on the Mach 1. I think that one of the Ford styling dept. 'things done right' have been the wheels. They have replicated one of the best looking wheels in Mustang history, and in the same way that the Mach's seats, shaker, gauges, and logos were done right 30 years ago, the new car's updated/retro can be filed under 'things done right'. By the way, if you've seen Bullitt wheels on a new Torch Red GT...doesn't work.

02mach1
10-30-2002, 10:52 AM

They also have black bullitt wheels too.

02mach1
10-30-2002, 10:54 AM

They also have black bullitt wheels too.

see here:THUMBSUP:

WarpdSpazm
10-30-2002, 10:58 AM
the anthracite bullitt wheels are amazing on Min Grey and DSG i think... but that's just me... oh and black... very sharp on black

02mach1
10-30-2002, 11:03 AM
It does look sharp in person I think they run $275.00 for a wheel.

socalmach1
10-30-2002, 11:23 AM
Listen knucklehead:SMASH: The rims that are on the Mach 1 are retro to the original ones from the original Mach 1!!:SMASH: you can put whatever the hell you want on!:!!:

Dr.Bleed
10-30-2002, 11:29 AM
Ahhhh, you guys dont want bullit wheels... just about every Mustang on the road is running those things these days. :frown:

(Of course its up to you guys [Obviously])

FlashBack
11-06-2002, 08:24 PM
Here's a link for Magnum 500's at NewstalgiaWheel.com. They have 17" & 18" for new Mustang's, but they are not cheap! $473.00 ea. I like the Mach 1 wheels, but I would prefer 18's with some wide rubber and will probably go for a set of these if I can find the money.

http://www.newstalgiawheel.com/products.asp

mustangdan
12-02-2002, 08:22 PM
I like the wheels that come with the Mach 1:THUMBSUP:
But only wish they were 17'" x 9":confused: to fit wider tires

CMEmach1
12-02-2002, 08:34 PM
The one thing that I keep thinking is that the Magnum 500's weren't even available on the '69-'70 Mach1...everbody puts them on now but they weren't available till '71 and later Machs. I like the new ones and think they are a good update.

falcongtho3
12-02-2002, 08:42 PM
That's accurate. The '69 and '70 Boss 302's and Boss 429's had Magnums either standard (429) or as an option (302),and remember both these cars had rolled fender lips from the factory to clear the larger tires/rims. The '69 Mach 1 had a chrome wheel with cap and trim ring, the '70's had a wheel cover in grey! In '71 the Magnums became available on the Mach 1's, and were also available in '72, for'73 the optional wheel was a slotted alum. wheel w/red stripe. :THUMBSUP:

70MachCJ
12-02-2002, 10:18 PM
The Magnum 500's were available as a dealer option in 69 and 70. Most everyone got them and tossed the satelite caps and standard wheels away. Ford first offered the Magnum 500 as standard equipment on the 1966 Hertz Shelby's.

falcongtho3
12-02-2002, 10:29 PM
The dealers wouldn't do it in '69 or'70, first the tire size (15 in. Boss Magnums wouldn't work on a 14 in. Mach 1 tire) was wrong, and the fender clearance problems kept them off generally.( Do you know what a correct, rolled Boss fender goes for today?!) There isn't an MCA event that wouldn't dock you a boatload of points for having Magnums on a '69 or '70 Mach. They do look cool, and had I kept my '69 CJ Grande it probably would have gotten a set. As it is my first set will be attatched to a new Mach 1!:THUMBSUP:

CMEmach1
12-02-2002, 11:51 PM
I really don't think that many dealers changed out the stock 14" rims and tires for the Magnums and 15" tires ...the cost would of been quite high ...don't think a lot of customers would pay the extra $ .....I don't know why they really needed the rolled fenders as I had Magnums with 235/15 on front and 255/15 on rear with no problems with tire clearance

falcongtho3
12-03-2002, 07:44 AM
Although the 235/60R15's are close to the original F60-15 tires in size, and in normal use there are no clearance problems, the cars (Boss 302) were a homologation special built for Trans-Am racing. In that type of use, and the fact back then was you had to use stock bodywork, the extreme situations the cars would be used in would have carved up the tires in no time. Also those bias tires tended to be more squared off, rather than the rounded design of modern radial tires, so you do pick up a little clearance on new tires. I do see Magnums all the time on vintage Mustangs, and they look great. The '66 Shelby's did have a 14in. Magnum, most were found on Torino's, and some '69 Shelby's ended up (t least temporarily) on Magnums as the stock alloys were recalled for cracking. PS Ford is not the only one to have fender clearance problems...ever notice the fender 'scoops' on the Superbird and Charger Daytona? They aren't for ventilation, the tires on the cars, meant for superspeedway use, and would hit the top of the fender when the suspension compressed, so the 'scoops' are for tire clearance! :THUMBSUP: