PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions? - CD player went bye-bye

b3warnick
02-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Ejected one CD today and then when I tried to eject another, I got the 'CD Error' message ... apparently the kiss of death. My Tom Petty CD is stuck in slot 3 and it ain't comin' out from what I have read here in other threads ... already searched.

Any decent multi-CD players out there for $300 or less?

Thanks!

PrISM
02-04-2009, 08:38 PM
What's a CD? :confused:

NightOfTheCow
02-04-2009, 09:45 PM
I had the same thing happen and ended up taking my CD player apart to get all 6 CDs out. What a pain in the testicles.

I bought an aftermarket head unit, but the harness never really worked so well with the sub. So... I found another Mach460 head unit on ebay and replaced it. Back to normal.

If you go that route, the head unit (Mach460 to specify) can come out of any ford vehicle, as long as it's the same year. 03 and 04 head units are NOT interchangeable. I found that out the hard way too.

darkshadowmach
02-04-2009, 10:09 PM
just a matter of time for mine...got the CD ERROR message, but was able to get the cd out and it is working right now.

24kmach
02-04-2009, 10:53 PM
My CD player still works but I had the radio wired for my 80 Gig Zune. It holds 20,000 songs. :)

one mach 1
02-04-2009, 10:55 PM
What's a CD? :confused:

You know what it is b/c you are not young enough!! :claus:

Naa-V-Doc
02-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Hi

I have a head unit out of an 04 mach. Asking $75.00 plus shipping.
PM me if you want it.

Naa-V-Doc

PrISM
02-05-2009, 08:33 AM
You know what it is b/c you are not young enough!! :claus:
Yup, CDs > lossy MP3s

b3warnick
02-05-2009, 02:59 PM
Appreciate the feedback.

Naa-V-Doc - thanks for the offer, but I think I'll see if I can possibly get this thing workin', but if not, I'll probly just go aftermarket.

bababuschka
02-05-2009, 07:25 PM
as i was driving to work today it started makin a tickin noise, and about 20 seconds later it gave me a CD error...so im guessing im about to be on the market for a head unit here soon too...:anger:

32VALVR
02-05-2009, 07:59 PM
as i was driving to work today it started makin a tickin noise, and about 20 seconds later it gave me a CD error...so im guessing im about to be on the market for a head unit here soon too...:anger:
Mine did the same thing last week. Sounded like it was shuffling through the carrousel. Turned it off and back on and it disapeared. I never received the ERROR notice though.

shame302
02-05-2009, 08:20 PM
Yup, CDs > lossy MP3s
Meh, i generally wouldn't defend compression but at bit rates above 320 the difference between a cd and MP3 isnt very noticeable on the Mach 460. Its just not that revealing. Other than that, Lossless FTMFW

b3warnick
02-05-2009, 08:43 PM
Disconnected the battery for about 20 min -- the stuck CD was ejected. I still have the 'CD Error' though. No discs in, but it is now telling me that all the slots are full :anger: Guess I'll be shoppin' this week-end for somethin to fill that hole in the dash.

PrISM
02-06-2009, 07:57 AM
Meh, i generally wouldn't defend compression but at bit rates above 320 the difference between a cd and MP3 isnt very noticeable on the Mach 460. Its just not that revealing. Other than that, Lossless FTMFW
I go with 320 in my cars and FLAC on my home system.

FL Mach 1
02-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Do some research on the Mach 460 before you purchase an aftermarket. The wiring for the Mach 460 is all kinds of screwy.

From my research here is what I found. The tweeters, front and rear are driven off of the head unit. In the Mach 460 the head unit is set up to only send highs to the tweeters, most aftermarket units aren't set up that way. The front door subs are driven off one of the amps and the rear deck subs are driven off the other amp.

The big problem with this is when you put an aftermarket in with the adapter harnesses is that when you wire the speaker outputs to the harness you are driving the tweeters with the full power of the head unit. If you have a stereo that has adjustable internal crossovers you should be fine. I got lucky and mine did. Otherwise you can have distortion from the tweeters.

If you get the wiring harness kit there will be a strange RCA plug to wiring harness adapter. This allows you to drive the subs off the RCA outputs of the stereo. The stocker has a strange wiring connection instead of the RCA cables.

I have gotten mine tuned to sound pretty good but I am in the process of replacing all the speakers with Infinity kappas and ditching the stock mono amps for 4x100 watt amp. I am going to see how it sounds and then possibly add another amp and a subwoofer later on.

Here is a link to the article I mentioned
http://www.stangnet.com/Tech-Articles/Replacing-Your-2001-Mach-460-Head-Unit.html

I have not seen any multidisc headunits when I was looking to replace the one in our Mach. I got a double din Kenwood DPX-303 for about $250 and its a pretty good unit

bababuschka
02-06-2009, 08:33 PM
good info...thx for the post

MRS.SHKR
02-06-2009, 09:59 PM
Ejected one CD today and then when I tried to eject another, I got the 'CD Error' message ... apparently the kiss of death. My Tom Petty CD is stuck in slot 3 and it ain't comin' out from what I have read here in other threads ... already searched.

Any decent multi-CD players out there for $300 or less?

Thanks!

Mine in my GT was messed up and if i hit eject and put my drivers license on top of the cd it ejected