PDA

View Full Version : Fricking RR crossarm hits roof of Mach

gomachin
11-03-2003, 10:39 AM
I was coming back from taking my daughter to school this morning when I started to go over the RR tracks. Just when I got even with the arm (it had not even started to come down) it flew down and hit the roof of my car. I looked a train was right on me. (it was really foggy) I guess it saved my life but now that it's over the big huge scratch across the roof of the Mach makes me sick. There was definately no time to react I had to just sit there with the arm on top until the train went by. Are you wondering how it happened? So am I. Still trying to figure this one out. The train never blew it's whistle or anything. Guess I'm lucky to be alive.:confused:

badappl
11-03-2003, 11:45 AM
Dang!!!!
So glad you are still here bro! As ugly as that was....well it could have been so much worse. Man, I got goose bumps just reading that tale, sheeze. Adds a whole new meaning to getting scratch in first:worship:

falcongtho3
11-03-2003, 12:11 PM
Glad to hear you're OK. I'd definitly get in touch with the railroad and/or the state Dept. of Transportation in regard to the crossing. It should have activated long before the train was near the crossing. You might even get some help in the repair of the car, but might have save more lives in addition to your own!

H-TownMachI
11-03-2003, 12:36 PM
Better yet complain to the Rail Safety Division of the Railroad Commission. Maybe they could shed some light on what happened and what you course of action should be.

http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/divisions/rail/rail.html

Walt
11-03-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by gomachin
Just when I got even with the arm (it had not even started to come down) it flew down and hit the roof of my car. I looked a train was right on me. (it was really foggy)

Were there warning bells? Around here, there are warning bells that a train is approaching, and that the gates are about to be lowered.

Were you just pre-occupied with your daughter, or the Mach radio was too loud, that you didn't notice the warning bells?

TommyT
11-03-2003, 03:36 PM
****!!! That is some scary stuff. I'm glad to hear that you're alright. Is there any possibility of rubbing the scratch out with some compound?

gomachin
11-03-2003, 08:29 PM
It took me about 3 hrs. to quit shaking after this, then I was able to hit rewind in my mind and remember what happened. When something like this happens it is so fast you just don't remember.

It went like this: I approached the RR tracks, window halfway down, stereo was low (my daughter and I had been talking, I had already dropped her off.) It was foggy, the railroad arm on my side was definately not down nor going down. As I got on top of the tracks I saw the other arm down. It flashed through my mind , OMG there could be a train, I heard it blow it's whistle. Now, I'm thinking there is not enough time to make it to the other side. So I put the car in reverse. I remember thinking why are my wheels spinning and not going backwards, I floor boarded it and got traction. I got off the track enough for the train to pass which left me under the arms. Then they decided to come down. Right on top of the roof. Yes, I do have a big scratch on top that I hope buffs out but, now I realize how close that was. And yes, I've already reported it to the railroad commission. I shutter to think what would have happened if I had froze. I always wondered how people got hit by trains, now I know. Maybe not always their fault. Today I feel lucky.

03mach1
11-03-2003, 08:34 PM
WoW, that is scary.

I saw one old lady stop right before the tracks when she heard the bells, and the same thing, the Gate landed right on her windshield!! The leg that comes down to hold the long arm actually got stuck in her winshield wiperblade, luckily, I was behind her and got out and lifted the gate so she could back up.....She didn't have a clue....

codymach
11-03-2003, 08:42 PM
Glad your ok and really sorry about the Mach....many time those things have a hidden camera. It may have recorded that you did everything right and they owe you a roof! Good Luck!

crusader
11-03-2003, 09:49 PM
Something we all should keep in mind is that at any given moment aproximately 10% of railroad crossing signals and gates are not functioning properly.

gomachin
11-04-2003, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by H-TownMachI
Better yet complain to the Rail Safety Division of the Railroad Commission. Maybe they could shed some light on what happened and what you course of action should be.

http://www.rrc.state.tx.us/divisions/rail/rail.html

Thanks so much I used your link to contact them. To tell you the truth they weren't that interested. I told them I was fine, but what if it had been a school bus that couldn't get out of the way quick enough. They did say they would check it out. BFD.

Bill Hamilton
11-04-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by crusader
Something we all should keep in mind is that at any given moment aproximately 10% of railroad crossing signals and gates are not functioning properly.

:rolleyes: Oh geeez......like I really needed to hear that :eek: .

Just kidding, good info, something to consider now when I cross those two sets of tracks daily :THUMBSUP: .

CJV87
11-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by crusader

I can vouge (sp?) for that. Dang laverne. Theres always track crossings going haywire. Makes the stoplights 2 secs long :SMASH:

1YLDRYD
11-06-2003, 02:28 AM
Unreal:??: that happened to me years ago when my wife and I were in our 69 mach1. At night, Comer GA. I slow down to a crawl to go over some rr tracks and suddenly the lights start flashing and the arm comes down so fast I can't get out of the way- WHAM!!! right on my roof, then my wife starts screaming that the train is coming. I panic and miss reverse and go into park:??: wifes screaming I'm reving the the p!ss out of that big 428 but not moving:confused: Finally get it in reverse and do a massive smoke show getting out from under the arm. We sit there, my heart pounding, lights flashing, the night full of train noise, tire smoke and the smell of melted rubber. as the train goes by blowing the smoke away I remember looking out the windshield and seeing my antenna "bent to sh!t". It really didn't do much to the roof paint, minor scratches, the crossing arm back then was made of wood, not sure what their made of now. We're all glad you made it out of that with just scratched paint :THUMBSUP: