PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove silencer?

mufftang66
10-30-2003, 03:30 PM
I'm talking about the milk jug-like box on the passenger side of the engine. The silencer/resonator that goes into the intake tube.

How do you remove this thing? I see it has a clamp. Do I need to remove that clamp... or do I just twist and pull on the box? If I have to remove the clamp, how do I do that? It looks like one of those one time crimp on clamps, is it reusable?

I'm sure I can figure away to remove the silencer jug, but I just wanted to get some info before I get in there breaking stuff.

:!!: Thanks

MachKid03
10-30-2003, 04:26 PM
Very simple... just take out the bolt that holds the box to the fender, then open the clamp and just pull off the snorkel, then reassemble... nothing to be worried about. Should take less than 5 minutes. Oh, and take the screen out when you're in there too. :THUMBSUP:

Rubbersidedown
10-30-2003, 05:07 PM
and replaced it with a #9 stopper from the hardware store.

03AV8R
10-30-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by MachKid03
Very simple... just take out the bolt that holds the box to the fender, then open the clamp and just pull off the snorkel, then reassemble... nothing to be worried about. Should take less than 5 minutes. Oh, and take the screen out when you're in there too. :THUMBSUP:

Um, i dont think thats the item he is talking about?? The item you speak of has 1 single clamp that doesnt need to be "undone".. Just grab that little "jug" with your right hand and put your left hand on & around the clamp area for stability & just twist her right outta there.. It'll go, mine did & i plugged it right up with a "Mach1" plug i found on Ebay.. (havent seen those since up there) Dont pull it off till you have a plug you know will fit etc.. Good Luck! :THUMBSUP:

rcode99
10-30-2003, 05:35 PM
Is there a photo floating about. Some of us "old" carb guys are in the dark about this stuff.

Rubbersidedown
10-30-2003, 05:40 PM
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6547&highlight=removing+silencer

SnowDeath
10-30-2003, 07:16 PM
Those instructions are great! Just removed my air silencer!

mufftang66
10-30-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by 03AV8R
Um, i dont think thats the item he is talking about?? The item you speak of has 1 single clamp that doesnt need to be "undone".. Just grab that little "jug" with your right hand and put your left hand on & around the clamp area for stability & just twist her right outta there.. It'll go, mine did & i plugged it right up with a "Mach1" plug i found on Ebay.. (havent seen those since up there) Dont pull it off till you have a plug you know will fit etc.. Good Luck! :THUMBSUP:

Yes this is the thing I'm talking about. The "jug thing" some people are calling it a silencer, resonator, etc. The water is getting pretty muddy.

I have already removed the intake snorkle when I installed my K&N filter. I think I'm going to go back in and remove the MAF screen as well.

mufftang66
10-30-2003, 09:11 PM
alot of people swap out the same terms for these two things, and I have no idea which is which... heh

maybe this little diagram will help

engine diagram (http://users.adelphia.net/~mufftang1966/images/enginedia.JPG)

I didn't mean to confuse anyone, most of all myself :SMASH:

rcode99
10-30-2003, 09:51 PM
Perhaps if someone can post before & after photos it would give us neophytes a better idea what you folks are removing. We would appreciate it.:CHEERS: :THUMBSUP:

03AV8R
10-30-2003, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by mufftang66
alot of people swap out the same terms for these two things, and I have no idea which is which... heh

maybe this little diagram will help

engine diagram (http://users.adelphia.net/~mufftang1966/images/enginedia.JPG)

I didn't mean to confuse anyone, most of all myself :SMASH:

Yes! Thats perfect dude, The Snorkel looks like a snorkel, like a short stubby elephant trunk.. The "jug" Resignator, Air Silencer is the other thing thats like the size of a big "fist" makin the whole area kinda ugly.. I just put the snorkel back on.. Not sure if it really helps much removing it.. Im thinking the "ram air" is escaping out thru there alot easier than when its installed? Im really undecided still though Maybe tomorrow nites draggin outing ill get it dialed in or out! :CHEERS:

mufftang66
10-31-2003, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by 03AV8R
I just put the snorkel back on.. Not sure if it really helps much removing it.. Im thinking the "ram air" is escaping out thru there alot easier than when its installed? Im really undecided still though Maybe tomorrow nites draggin outing ill get it dialed in or out! :CHEERS:

I removed the jug thing today and replaced it with the plug... it did seem to change the sound a little. I also put the snorkle thing back on while I was taking the MAF screen out. I might put the screen back in though. Not sure if there is any benefit to all this. Might just wait for the CAI kits to come out.

emrock
10-31-2003, 10:02 PM
can u post a pix of this??? mufftang66 would be helpful
thanks
:??:

mufftang66
10-31-2003, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by emrock
can u post a pix of this??? mufftang66 would be helpful
thanks
:??:

I don't have any pics of after I removed it, my dad has the digi cam. Here is a pic I uploaded that points to what is what before I removed stuff. The jug thing is what I removed today.

link to pic (http://users.adelphia.net/~mufftang1966/images/enginedia.JPG)

I'll try to get an after removal photo tomorrow.

mufftang66
10-31-2003, 10:28 PM
Check out the last post in this thread, by our buddy Ray from Canada. The whole thread is a good read, but the post from Mach1 EH has linked images that show the jug box, then the box removed, and 2 different caps for the hole.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6547&perpage=45&highlight=removing%20silencer&pagenumber=2

GOTdaBLUE1
10-31-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by mufftang66
I'm talking about the milk jug-like box on the passenger side of the engine. The silencer/resonator that goes into the intake tube.

How do you remove this thing? I see it has a clamp. Do I need to remove that clamp... or do I just twist and pull on the box? If I have to remove the clamp, how do I do that? It looks like one of those one time crimp on clamps, is it reusable?

I'm sure I can figure away to remove the silencer jug, but I just wanted to get some info before I get in there breaking stuff.

:!!: Thanks

One clamp holds the RESONATOR in place. Loosen the clamp and remove the resonator. I plugged the opened area with a #9 - 1/2" rubber stopper that I purchased at my local hardware store. Yes, the clamp is reuseable; I reattached it to keep the rubber stopper in place. It does not get simpler than that.

farmboy
11-02-2003, 11:54 PM
Ok, I must be slow but where in the heck is this screen that everyone has talked about in present and past threads?

I have removed the snorkle but I do not feel any change, maybe it is just the cooler weather. When my K&N filter gets here, I may just put it back on. Anyone else put theirs back on?

I am going to remove the resonator as soon as I can find a plug. Looked Saturday for one and everyone just looked at me with a dumb look. I can only guess what they think I wanted it for, LOL!

rcode99
11-03-2003, 02:34 PM
I found it in the plumbing section at Home Depot today, except they don't have #9 or #9 1/2 plugs. They're measured in inches. Guess I've got to get the old tape measure. I thought someone wrote that the screen is just behing the filter.

340.29m/s
12-20-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by rcode99
I found it in the plumbing section at Home Depot today, except they don't have #9 or #9 1/2 plugs. They're measured in inches. Guess I've got to get the old tape measure. I thought someone wrote that the screen is just behing the filter.

I am guessing you already figured this out because you posted quite a while ago...

*but for those that dont know*

The packaging shows the measure in inches, but if you actually look at the plug, it will have 9 1/2 on it!