PDA

View Full Version : Cobra or S-197????

PharmDMach1
05-22-2008, 12:46 PM
Ok here is the story. I will be looking to get a new dd in the future. I can afford to pick up a nicely equipped S-197 or a nice low-mileage Cobra.

A) If I do get the Cobra, the Mach will become a daily driver.

B) If I do get an S197, it'll be the daily driver and the Mach will stay the garage queen.

I want to get everyone's opinion on what they would do if their is in the same situation.

Charles236
05-22-2008, 12:58 PM
A Mach 1 is too nice of a car to go to waste in a garage. Drive it and enjoy it.

cobramach1
05-22-2008, 01:07 PM
A Mach 1 is too nice of a car to go to waste in a garage. Drive it and enjoy it.

:agree: but if you are going to get another car, and you're looking at the s-197 then I'd go for that car as a DD because they do handle and ride great.

Madmax305
05-22-2008, 01:51 PM
When you say Cobra, If you mean the Terminator, buy it and ditch the S197 and have fun with both cars....

Apollo240
05-22-2008, 02:01 PM
3v is crap IMO feels like a 2v especially above 60mph, they are heavier I believe, when my Mach was stock I spanked 05-07's all over the road. 4v is much better engine, and 3v's are everywhere, if you buy a cobra you got 2 rare cars

TJ4Cam
05-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Drive the S197 as a DD, much better platform(sorry guys its true). You can burn 87 octane in it and save there as well.

I am not mad that the '05 up Mustang is a better overall Mustang, it should be as time and tech marches forward.

weaver
05-22-2008, 02:21 PM
Drive the S197 as a DD, much better platform(sorry guys its true). You can burn 87 octane in it and save there as well.

I am not mad that the '05 up Mustang is a better overall Mustang, it should be as time and tech marches forward.

:agree:

Catman
05-22-2008, 03:46 PM
I'd get a S-197 just for something different as far as Mustang are concerned.

03BumbleBee
05-22-2008, 06:07 PM
Make your Mach the garage Queen,they don't make them anymore. The new Mustang is a good daily driver and can be run on 87 octane. If you are talking about a new Mustang versus a used Cobra, I have one word...warranty. Good luck.

Firebreed05
05-22-2008, 06:55 PM
3v is crap IMO feels like a 2v especially above 60mph, they are heavier I believe, when my Mach was stock I spanked 05-07's all over the road. 4v is much better engine, and 3v's are everywhere, if you buy a cobra you got 2 rare cars

Sorry to break it to ya bud, but a 2V is a joke compared to the 3V. I know.....I've owned an 03 GT. And the S197 doesn't weigh that much more than a New Edge.......you're talking about less than 100 lbs option for option. The OP already has his 4V Mach......he's looking for a DD. An S197 GT makes a wonderful DD, and will get better gas mileage than a Cobra. If he was looking for a new hot rod, then yea.......the Cobra is where it's at.

And while we're at it.......I'm tired of the "S197s are everywhere" excuse for bashing them. They are no more numerous than the New Edge bodystyle....and most ppl won't be able to discern the difference between a 2V GT, Mach 1, and Cobra to begin with. If you can't stand to drive a car that lots of ppl around you have.........the last thing you should be driving is a Mustang. :P

mach1nm
05-22-2008, 07:40 PM
what cobra is the main question???

PharmDMach1
05-22-2008, 08:17 PM
Sorry for the confusion as to which Cobra. I'm looking for a Black 03-04 Terminator. I am looking at my options as far as to which car becomes a dd. I wouldn't mind having a Terminator sitting in my garage, but I have been quite a few S197's and they are quickly becoming an option.

Romans8:28
05-22-2008, 08:37 PM
I vote terminator, but what do I know........I only see s197's in my rear view so it's hard to be objective

jbrad88
05-22-2008, 09:39 PM
Cannot go wrong either way they are both great cars.

I would buy the Cobra and DD both it and the Mach...Just switch off...That way no one car gets too many miles...then when the Cobra is paid for, get a nice new 2010 v-6 mustang with the 3.5l v-6 twin turbo ecotech that is coming out...

PharmDMach1
05-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Cannot go wrong either way they are both great cars.

I would buy the Cobra and DD both it and the Mach...Just switch off...That way no one car gets too many miles...then when the Cobra is paid for, get a nice new 2010 v-6 mustang with the 3.5l v-6 twin turbo ecotech that is coming out...

That sounds like a **** good idea. The Mach will be paid off in a few months, so I can afford to pay for the Cobra plus some little goodies here and there.

****, when I jumped into Stangs from Hondas, I didn't realize I was going all in.This will give me a chance to own my two dream cars.

MACH-ANGEL
05-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Buy a V6 for the DD and build the Mach:gears:

Apollo240
05-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Sorry to break it to ya bud, but a 2V is a joke compared to the 3V. I know.....I've owned an 03 GT. And the S197 doesn't weigh that much more than a New Edge.......you're talking about less than 100 lbs option for option. The OP already has his 4V Mach......he's looking for a DD. An S197 GT makes a wonderful DD, and will get better gas mileage than a Cobra. If he was looking for a new hot rod, then yea.......the Cobra is where it's at.

And while we're at it.......I'm tired of the "S197s are everywhere" excuse for bashing them. They are no more numerous than the New Edge bodystyle....and most ppl won't be able to discern the difference between a 2V GT, Mach 1, and Cobra to begin with. If you can't stand to drive a car that lots of ppl around you have.........the last thing you should be driving is a Mustang. :P

No offense to anyone but the 3v is a joke to the 4v IMO all 3 cars will get roughly the same mileage..if you keep your foot off the cobra it shouldnt be too far off the Mach in mileage. My mach get almost 30 hwy miles using cruise control. around town i get either 17 or 18 and i :gears: once in a while.

If you like Mustangs and wanna be different then hes already made the right choice MACH 1 and Cobras are rare as well. So it is possible to drive a stang and be different. Yea to some ppl they all look the same but i catch ppl double taking my car and getting confused looks. I love it when you see them mouth the words "mach 1?" and get that confused look. :COOL:

Mike1284
05-23-2008, 09:24 PM
thats easy, A. hands down. wish i could afford to do this

tom281
05-24-2008, 10:20 PM
No offense to anyone but the 3v is a joke.......

Sure, another S197 hater..... come see if this little 3v is a joke to ya. :D

Buy a S197..... overall a better platform and it's significantly different enough from your Mach that it won't feel as similar like the Cobra would. That will help keep a soft spot in your heart for your Mach. But be careful, the new cars can get addictive and speed parts are very, very readily available.

Tony Alonso
05-25-2008, 09:06 PM
No offense to anyone but the 3v is a joke to the 4v IMO

Define "joke" - do you mean as in stock power output, modification potential, torque curves, etc.? There is a lot of aftermarket support for the 3V engine that can boost the performance up very nicely.

If you like Mustangs and wanna be different then hes already made the right choice MACH 1 and Cobras are rare as well. So it is possible to drive a stang and be different. Yea to some ppl they all look the same but i catch ppl double taking my car and getting confused looks. I love it when you see them mouth the words "mach 1?" and get that confused look. :COOL:

There are plenty of modified S197 Mustangs that will evoke a similar reaction, if you use the right aftermarket parts, have a Shelby version, etc.

The Mach 1, of course, has a Ford factory stock shaker induction system.

The S197 cars are an excellent vehicle. Low production number are nice, but there are A LOT of virtues in the GTs.

Since the original question was more about daily driver potential, I can verify an S197 Mustang GT in stock form makes a GREAT one, especially running on 87 octane.

Tony Alonso
05-25-2008, 09:07 PM

Yeah, exactly - with 9 million Mustangs sold, there's a high likelihood one might run into a few of the same! :)

Fenixfire
05-25-2008, 11:03 PM
Sure, another S197 hater..... come see if this little 3v is a joke to ya. :D

Buy a S197..... overall a better platform and it's significantly different enough from your Mach that it won't feel as similar like the Cobra would. That will help keep a soft spot in your heart for your Mach. But be careful, the new cars can get addictive and speed parts are very, very readily available.

I wont deny the s197s have better creature comfort and what not, but the mach most definitely has the better drivetrain. You will get alot more power mod for mod with it than you will a 3v engine. Ive beaten modded 3 valves at the track over and over again and im bone stock. Raced a yellow GT several times that had a tune, full exhaust, CAI and DRs and pulled him everytime. Just be careful which 4 valves you try to call out to race you, they might hand you your lunch. :)

To the OP if you are looking for raw performance then the Terminator is gonna be the ticket. If you want a comfy DD that is still no slouch in performance then an s197 is gonna be the ticket.

The Abyss
05-25-2008, 11:45 PM
My Dad has a S197 and they're nothing to scoff at but my car is still faster. I think that if you want a mean mofo out of the box go Cobra. If you want a comfy car that still has some nice power go S197. Personally I'd take the Cobra because of the small amount of mods to get into 400-500 horsepower range.

Mike1284
05-26-2008, 01:49 AM
while im not a 3v lover, there no joke with boost. they make crazy amounts with very low boost

Tony Alonso
05-26-2008, 09:24 AM
I wont deny the s197s have better creature comfort and what not, but the mach most definitely has the better drivetrain. You will get alot more power mod for mod with it than you will a 3v engine.

If you put superchargers on either car, you are going to get similar outcomes. However, if you are talking about a cold air intake and chip retune, the torque advantage is in the Mach's camp. Once you start talking about cams, intake porting, etc., money is probably more of the limiting factor.

Ive beaten modded 3 valves at the track over and over again and im bone stock. Raced a yellow GT several times that had a tune, full exhaust, CAI and DRs and pulled him everytime. Just be careful which 4 valves you try to call out to race you, they might hand you your lunch. :)

Perhaps you are a better drag racer than your competition! :) Did you see a difference in the terminal speeds at the end?

Apollo240
05-26-2008, 03:59 PM
Not a hater for the 197, didnt mean to come off that way. I would buy one get the 70 mustang look alike fenders, louvers, quarter window covers etc... I would make it look as close to a 70 Boss as I could. I know the power possibilities, my g/f's boss has the fastest 3v in the world. But with minor bolt-ons as already said 4v will be more powerful and most stock 4v's can take modified 3v's. I say a joke b/c after driving one, it felt sluggish, watching the speedo as well, it still didnt seem to move that fast. I'll say this, in stock form I was disappointed in the cars power and for the price they wanted for the car...it was a joke to me. As far as comfort, they arent bad, too big of a car for me, Im 6'4 and I feel like its a big car, but the seats are comfy and the car is a little more quiet on the inside. Might be a nice car to take on a road trip.

Murder Snake
05-26-2008, 04:03 PM
When you say Cobra, If you mean the Terminator, buy it and ditch the S197 and have fun with both cars....

+1 !!!!

Fenixfire
05-26-2008, 08:00 PM
If you put superchargers on either car, you are going to get similar outcomes. However, if you are talking about a cold air intake and chip retune, the torque advantage is in the Mach's camp. Once you start talking about cams, intake porting, etc., money is probably more of the limiting factor.

Perhaps you are a better drag racer than your competition! :) Did you see a difference in the terminal speeds at the end?

Good question, Tony! I was trapping about 98-101 and he traps 96-98. At my altitude i was definitely clicking off some pretty sweet times completely stock. I cant wait to see what she is gonna do in a few weeks after I get the t-56 conversion done with my new exhaust(bassani x pipe with magnapack cats). :) Definitely the car and not the driver! I have a factory beast.

tom281
05-27-2008, 09:41 AM
Not a hater for the 197, didnt mean to come off that way. I say a joke b/c after driving one, it felt sluggish, watching the speedo as well, it still didnt seem to move that fast. I'll say this, in stock form I was disappointed in the cars power and for the price they wanted for the car...it was a joke to me. Might be a nice car to take on a road trip.

I see what you're saying.... :) No problem man, I didn't mean to come off as a smartass either- was just trying to say that the 3v isn't as bad of an engine as what some people make it out to be. Especially once you ditch the factory tune which is set for 87 octane unlike the Mach's and you modify the electronic throttle- those two things alone before you even touch the filter/intake will add around 25hp and much better throttle response.

Apollo240
05-27-2008, 09:49 AM
I see what you're saying.... :) No problem man, I didn't mean to come off as a smartass either- was just trying to say that the 3v isn't as bad of an engine as what some people make it out to be. Especially once you ditch the factory tune which is set for 87 octane unlike the Mach's and you modify the electronic throttle- those two things alone before you even touch the filter/intake will add around 25hp and much better throttle response.

Nota prob:CHEERS: I jus can get away from the 4v motor...Id take a Shelby...just not paying the 20K over sticker they are STILL charging:crazy: in my area. I do like the new bullitt though, only thing is if I bought a bullitt, i would drive it like it like McQueen did in the movie haha, dont think Ford or the insurance company would be to happy about the warrenty work on that lol.

Zor
05-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Thats crazy stealerships are still trying to charge 20K over msrp for GT500's.

Apollo240
05-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Yea most dealers around here got 3-5 of them in the showrooms. I know if you talk the right way you can get one at sticker but they try not to budge on price.

PharmDMach1
05-28-2008, 04:20 PM
I've decidedd to look for an 03-04 Black Cobra. As nice as the S197's are, I have always wanted a Cobra. The Mach will become the DD, but if my Dad's truck is home that's what I'll be driving. I am psyched about having 2 of the hottest 4valve cars in my driveway.

Apollo240
05-28-2008, 04:30 PM
You have made an excelent decision! Be sure to post up pics when you get the new beast together with the old one!

PharmDMach1
05-28-2008, 11:30 PM
You have made an excelent decision! Be sure to post up pics when you get the new beast together with the old one!

Yeah but the next dilemma is color. I'm thinking black or torch red.

Cooldbz12
05-28-2008, 11:54 PM
I would never ever buy a s197 over a 03 cobra, get the cobra dont get the yacht.

Apollo240
05-29-2008, 12:11 PM
::ORANGE: Torch Red of course!!!:D

Firebreed05
05-29-2008, 07:05 PM
Yeah but the next dilemma is color. I'm thinking black or torch red.

Black. And put some really fat radials out back. Nothing looks sweeter than a fat-footed black Termi from behind.:smokin:

Tony Alonso
05-29-2008, 09:46 PM
I would never ever buy a s197 over a 03 cobra, get the cobra dont get the yacht.

An S197 is a car not a boat...

Marks04DSG
05-29-2008, 10:13 PM
With a good intake/tune the drive by wire is gone and the car gets a completely different attitude. Good tune does wonders for the autos with that extra gear.

Tony Alonso
05-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I've decidedd to look for an 03-04 Black Cobra. As nice as the S197's are, I have always wanted a Cobra. The Mach will become the DD, but if my Dad's truck is home that's what I'll be driving. I am psyched about having 2 of the hottest 4valve cars in my driveway.

I really like the 10th Anniversary '03 Cobra in black - good luck with your search!