PDA

View Full Version : teen takes dads car w/ no insurance and rear ends my mach in traffic

GundamVader
05-10-2008, 01:45 AM
so in traffic on my way to my friends coming from LAX, stuck in traffic on the 605, im stopping/stopped behind some van, next thing i hear thump and i jolt forward. look back and see a bunch of girls in the civic behind me shocked. so i turn my hazards on, and start moving over, expecting them to follow, they pull up to the side saying it doesnt look bad. tell them to pull over, want to check myself and talk. so finally get over to the hazard lane. they follow behind. i get out look at my bumper, its not too bad, jsut som scrapes, but i've ehard my friends experience of similar situation with his volvo and having a $2,000 bill from the shock absorbers being one time use and the foam being destroyed. plus bumper replacement. so figure better be safe, ask for her insurance and info, says its her dads car, he doesnt know shes driving it, and shes uninsured. told her just give me name number address, i go back to my car and start writing ddown my info and and copying her license plate. so finally get everything, ask for her license, and copy down the number. sure enough, teen driver, still a provisional license, and the license looked freshly printed from DMV. so nearly forgot about pics, so quickly after we finish, grab the camera from my car and take a picture of her car, unfortunately it didnt get my car at the scene, but seeing as theres nothing broken, nothing major to worry about. but still frustrating....havent had an accident since my junior year of high school, 5 years ago.....technially 4 but the last one i wasnt even in my car, my car was parked and a classmate backed into my cadillac. abyway thats been my day, spent tnearly all the day driving in traffic to and from LA. so yeah, my poor mach now is injurred, albeit its jsut a scrape, but at least hopefully if my stripes ever come in they can do it at the same time.

MrE
05-10-2008, 04:23 AM
Is she 18?????? ;)

GundamVader
05-10-2008, 04:25 AM
nope, still a provisional license so curfews and all that apply. if i remember riht it was like 17 or 16.

Fenixfire
05-10-2008, 11:32 PM
Was she at least cute?!!? LOL just kidding. Sorry that your mach got hit. It may be just "scrapes" but the bumper will have to be replaced, new one painted and will have to replace the impact foam behind the bumper. Depending on how hard she hit you there may be residual damage. Get it checked out, man.

HamMach1
05-11-2008, 12:29 AM
**** man! SUCKS! **** girls... but hey if they were cute, you should have gotten their number(s) to make up for not having insurance :3amin:

Fenixfire
05-11-2008, 12:32 AM
If they were under 18 thats no bueno....

HamMach1
05-11-2008, 01:17 AM
If they were under 18 thats no bueno....

What happens at the accident, stays at the accident :smokin:

my305pony
05-11-2008, 02:25 AM

Woah easy killer :PICS:

GundamVader
05-11-2008, 03:25 AM
i'll post pics in the morning once theres daylight for my car, and i'll post the other later on when i get the chance. however on the plus side, once i take it into the shop, getting my vinyl redone since the new one came in.

Shinigami
05-11-2008, 12:08 PM

:23: :23: :23:

Lonestar7
05-11-2008, 12:15 PM
A good LA Lawyer should do the trick and yes you can sue them civily for your damage.

LS:claus:

BluBlurr32V
05-11-2008, 01:25 PM
That sucks man... I know about LA traffic and if your not concentrating on traffic...bam.... fender-bender. I think a lawsuit is a bit extreme, but these days everybody sues for just about anything. You look at somebody the wrong way they'll file a lawsuit. :23: I'm sure that everyone remembers what it was like to get their driver's permit or license for the first time.

24kmach
05-11-2008, 01:29 PM
I had a similar accident happen with my 1969 Mach 1 in 1970.:yes: A rather large [400 lbs] women ran into the back of my Mach as I was stopped for a red light. We both got out of our cars and talked. She said she was unemployed, had no insurance or drivers license and could be reached at Eizze's attic[a strip joint in Tacoma]. The 69 had a fairly strong bumper and did not look to be hurt, just a few scratches. I thought there was no way I could take it out in trade :eek: so I shook my head in disbelief that this could happen to me and drove away. It still haunts me to this day.:anger:

Mach 1
05-11-2008, 08:13 PM
I had a similar accident happen with my 1969 Mach 1 in 1970.:yes: A rather large [400 lbs] women ran into the back of my Mach as I was stopped for a red light. We both got out of our cars and talked. She said she was unemployed, had no insurance or drivers license and could be reached at Eizze's attic[a strip joint in Tacoma]. The 69 had a fairly strong bumper and did not look to be hurt, just a few scratches. I thought there was no way I could take it out in trade :eek: so I shook my head in disbelief that this could happen to me and drove away. It still haunts me to this day.:anger:

Lucky for you she was driving her car at the time. If a 400 pounder had "run" into you the damage could have been worse. :23:

Mustanger2
05-11-2008, 11:19 PM
I had a new 69 Mach 1 also...but that "bumper" seemed pretty weak to me...now my 56 Mercury bumpers I used to pushstart cars!

chad3113
05-12-2008, 03:16 AM
That sucks but i wouldn't try to screw these people if it were me. I'd however expect my car to be repaired 100%, rental paid for, and compensated for any missed work time. Other than that i'd leave it be, shyt happens ya know...

GundamVader
05-12-2008, 04:29 PM
sorry bout no pics, but been busy with finals, and ill post tonight. however just got off the phone with the insurance, and they're handling everything, so dont even have to pay the deductible, no rates going up, and they'll be contacting the other party. so hopefully they dont try changing the story or anything, but right now odds are low.

MACH1NA
05-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Hopefully the damage is only cosmetic.

Was she one of those wannabe Lindsay Lohan/Paris Hilton privileged type bitches? Shoulda filed a report with the State Patrol. Teach her a lesson to take daddys car out w/o permission and driving w/o insurance/license. It angers me that I have to share the road with these little shits —and senior citizens too. :angry:

GRB60
05-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Sue the Dad. He's still liable.

No he's not. Even if he had no insurance he did nothing to harm the OP. The daughter (driver) is the only liable one here. She took the car without permission. The father may have broken the law by not having insurance but he is not liable for the damage.

nasty04mach1
05-13-2008, 01:33 PM

I hear ya. Tinted windows FTW :23:

chad3113
05-13-2008, 01:36 PM
No he's not. Even if he had no insurance he did nothing to harm the OP. The daughter (driver) is the only liable one here. She took the car without permission. The father may have broken the law by not having insurance but he is not liable for the damage.

Since his daughter is still a minor hes liable for her actions.

GRB60
05-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Since his daughter is still a minor hes liable for her actions.

The post says she's a teen. It doesn't say she's a minor.

chad3113
05-13-2008, 01:58 PM
The post says she's a teen. It doesn't say she's a minor.

nope, still a provisional license so curfews and all that apply. if i remember riht it was like 17 or 16.

Minor.

GundamVader
05-13-2008, 02:01 PM
I come with pics for you all, sorry for the mach not being clean but its been drizzling out here so keeps getting spotty in the morning and also trying not to disturb the bumper.

first the other car- http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/GundamVader/IMG_1218.jpg

and my car, the damage isn't bad as you can see, but it is a little scraped-
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/GundamVader/IMG_0156.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/GundamVader/IMG_0157.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/GundamVader/IMG_0158.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b133/GundamVader/IMG_0159.jpg

also on some of the other posts, she was underage, and talking with the inurance, they made it sound like they did have insurance, so thinking she was just freaked and didn't know how to respond with accidents and such so just said she didnt have any or thought i'd let her go.

TXBlackmach
05-13-2008, 02:27 PM
Thats pretty ghey... at least you did too effed up....