PDA

View Full Version : Chip for Automatics

Starsky
10-25-2003, 06:09 PM
I asked this on another thread but can't find it now. I was considering a chip for my car but wondered if there was a difference in the Manuals and Autos for this?

03AV8R
10-25-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Starsky
I asked this on another thread but can't find it now. I was considering a chip for my car but wondered if there was a difference in the Manuals and Autos for this?

Yes they can tune your shift points differently for your automatics.. Make em shift @ different times for track or whatever.. Ive got a 5-speed & just installed the chip today from Paul's Hi-Performance coincidently.. :D

Starsky
10-26-2003, 12:30 AM
Does a chip make a worthwhile difference in an automatic to warrant the bucks? Any input appreciated. Im not planning on taking it to the strip, but I would hate to be sitting on a bunch of unused horses

03AV8R
10-26-2003, 01:04 AM
Does a chip make a worthwhile difference in an automatic to warrant the bucks? Any input appreciated. Im not planning on taking it to the strip, but I would hate to be sitting on a bunch of unused horses

Well if your not gonna be racin anyone? why bother? the part where you say: "Worth the bucks" is where it gets tricky. The chip will do alot of good to performance but will also be tuned for the most expensive pump gas more than likely and will be burnin more of it! So the "bucks" you speak doesnt really end with the chip.. Plus you'll get bit by that "speed bug" and you'll want more & more to the point where you'll hafta re-tune the chip again.. Ouch what were we thinkin! :SMASH:

Starsky
10-26-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by 03AV8R
Well if your not gonna be racin anyone? why bother? the part where you say: "Worth the bucks" is where it gets tricky. The chip will do alot of good to performance but will also be tuned for the most expensive pump gas more than likely and will be burnin more of it! So the "bucks" you speak doesnt really end with the chip.. Plus you'll get bit by that "speed bug" and you'll want more & more to the point where you'll hafta re-tune the chip again.. Ouch what were we thinkin! :SMASH:

Judging from your mods listed, you know what you speak of. I own a gas station so gas isnt the issue. I guess what I was wanting to know is, about how much HP, or how much faster ET would one expect from a tuned chip in an auto....

03AV8R
10-26-2003, 04:01 PM
Judging from your mods listed, you know what you speak of. I own a gas station so gas isnt the issue. I guess what I was wanting to know is, about how much HP, or how much faster ET would one expect from a tuned chip in an auto....

In an Automatic i wouldnt know for sure.. Generally our DOHC 4.6L though can get an additional 15HP from a basic Diablo chip.. Not alot but OK i guess.. Paul's Hi-Performance might be able to give you a better idea as they do burn em for our cars.. Ralph Green spends alot of time at the DYNO CLUB too he might have a good insight with what he's seen.. :CHEERS: