PDA

View Full Version : Kooks headers and leak

Cuda
03-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Has anyone had any problems with the slip joints leaking on Kooks longtubes? I just put mine in this past weekend and I've got a slight leak on the drivers side. I went back in and retorqued everything and still have it. I used new OEM gaskets and reused original studs/nuts. Only thing I can think that might leak would be the slip joint. I'm going to pull them back down and seal up the slip joint with high temp RTV. It really freakin sucks doing this twice!!

Captain Obvious
03-25-2008, 08:10 PM
Pardon the ignorance, but slip joint?

Jester
03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
I have black carbon build up on mine but it's nothing that you can hear or smell. How noticeable is your 'leak'??

Cuda
03-26-2008, 03:25 AM
Capton Obvious, the forward tube seperates on Kooks - slipjoint.

You can't hear it at idle but you can just barely make it out revving it up. You can really hear it when you give it about 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, audible tick from drivers side, passenger side is quiet as can be. I got the K member out tonight, will pull the headers tomorrow night and see what I find.

FastBlueMach1
03-26-2008, 05:14 AM
check the muffler bearings too, i had the same problem on my truck after i did headers. took it to the dealership and they replaced them with high performance ones. problem solved.

Cuda
03-30-2008, 11:52 AM
Leak is fixed!! It was the slip joint on the drivers side. I put in new gaskets just to be safe and RTV'd the slip joints. Got tuned yesterday! All I can say is anyone who says that headers don't do much for our engines obviously hasn't driven one with them in, full length at least. Much snappier throttle responce and pulls so much harder, especially 3K up!! The sound, I couldn't be happier. It has more of a bassy burble at idle, is quiet when your foot isn't into it, and just screams when floored, it's the perfect combination! I got the Kooks matching catted X-pipe going into Magnapacks. The cats are the lowest point which scares me but I drove all over hell yesterday and have yet to hit anything. Might see if I can make some kind of a skid plate under them for alittle protection. After all the hassle with them leaking, I am still extremely happy I did them.

SparksMach1
03-30-2008, 01:24 PM
check the muffler bearings too, i had the same problem on my truck after i did headers. took it to the dealership and they replaced them with high performance ones. problem solved.

Muffler bearings? are there seriously bearings in the exhaust system? or am i thinking of the wrong type of bearings. please excuse my ignorance.

wutang61
03-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Muffler bearings? are there seriously bearings in the exhaust system? or am i thinking of the wrong type of bearings. please excuse my ignorance.

no. there isnt. lol

but you do have to change your blinker fluid every 5,000 miles. :claus:

Captain Obvious
03-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Captain Obvious, the forward tube separates on Kooks - slipjoint.

Ah okay, never heard the term.

I put in new gaskets just to be safe and RTV'd the slip joints.

What gaskets did you use?

All I can say is anyone who says that headers don't do much for our engines obviously hasn't driven one with them in, full length at least. Much snappier throttle responce and pulls so much harder, especially 3K up!! The sound, I couldn't be happier. It has more of a bassy burble at idle, is quiet when your foot isn't into it, and just screams when floored, it's the perfect combination!

This got me excited about my Kooks long tubes, which are going in next month. Thanks for the post!

:CHEERS:

DSG2003Mach1
03-30-2008, 10:48 PM
if thats how little clearance they leave, there goes that idea. is your car stock ride height?

Lonestar7
03-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Looks like I am going shorties with my lowered Mach I would rip those off during normal driving. I do like Kooks they just hang to low for me to feel safe.

LS

o3BlueMach1
03-31-2008, 12:06 AM
kinda looks like the midpipe wasn't supported when he tightened all the clamps... that happened to me the first time i installed my midpipe, i then loosened up all the clamps, put a jack under the midpipe, raised it up to level out the exhaust, then tightened the clamps....

Cuda
03-31-2008, 12:20 AM
Yes, I used stock ford gaskets. I'm going to try loosening the clamps and getting it abit higher hopefully, though I don't think it will go up much. I'm riding on Steeda sport comp springs. Glad I didn't go with anything lower!!

trex
03-31-2008, 12:54 AM
Yes, I used stock ford gaskets. I'm going to try loosening the clamps and getting it abit higher hopefully, though I don't think it will go up much. I'm riding on Steeda sport comp springs. Glad I didn't go with anything lower!!

Thats not much clearance, but I did have the same problem when I put on my x pipe. Had to redo them by using a floor jack to push them up and re-tightening them. Now its way more clearance, but I dont know about LT clearance...Im getting LT's regardless though lol. Heck if I crack them on a bump or something, have to weld them back up Id guess.

rhite95
03-31-2008, 08:29 AM
Leak is fixed!! It was the slip joint on the drivers side. I put in new gaskets just to be safe and RTV'd the slip joints. Got tuned yesterday! All I can say is anyone who says that headers don't do much for our engines obviously hasn't driven one with them in, full length at least. Much snappier throttle responce and pulls so much harder, especially 3K up!! The sound, I couldn't be happier. It has more of a bassy burble at idle, is quiet when your foot isn't into it, and just screams when floored, it's the perfect combination! I got the Kooks matching catted X-pipe going into Magnapacks. The cats are the lowest point which scares me but I drove all over hell yesterday and have yet to hit anything. Might see if I can make some kind of a skid plate under them for alittle protection. After all the hassle with them leaking, I am still extremely happy I did them.

Do you have before and after numbers?

Cuda
03-31-2008, 10:51 AM
No, I don't have numbers with them installed. Waiting for a dyno day with some friends. Numbers before from spring of last year was 307 HP 325 TQ. Other than the headers nothing has changed. Shouldn't be too long before I get on a dyno, will post numbers when I do.