PDA

View Full Version : Help with a tune

pitzer3
03-09-2008, 04:55 PM
I just ordered a borla stinger cat back. Only other performance mod is a JLT RAI and bassani x pipe with cats currently removed. Should I get a tuner? How much would it help? If so, which one? I would need one user friendly. I do have a laptop if that makes any difference.
My mach is a 5 speed, w/ 30000 miles. I do plan on adding other things. Headers, gears are possabilities. :worship:

3150Mach1
03-09-2008, 05:29 PM
Yes get one. Pickup a used xcal2. They are nice.

BADK03dsg
03-09-2008, 05:43 PM
You may also want to look into a Sniper Special forces tuning system. It will give you the ablility to change the tune as you change your mods, without waiting for a custom tune or a dyno tune everytime you upgrade you mods. Of course you will need a wideband to ck your A/F , but by far is the easy tuning system I`ve used to date. :smokin:

2002BLGT
03-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Sniper Special Forces and a wideband are all that most anybody will ever need .....

smbstyle
03-10-2008, 01:16 AM
You may also want to look into a Sniper Special forces tuning system. It will give you the ablility to change the tune as you change your mods, without waiting for a custom tune or a dyno tune everytime you upgrade you mods. Of course you will need a wideband to ck your A/F , but by far is the easy tuning system I`ve used to date. :smokin:

I just got mine from Willie (2002BLGT) for a great price, and let me tell you.... I have a K&N FIPK2 and Mac Prochamber, and honestly didn't notice a difference at all in performance, so I ordered the Sniper Special Forces through him, hooked it up, and man what an easy system to use! Honestly I'm one of the most computer illiterate person you'll meet and had this thing in, the stock tune pulled and a new one put in from Willie without any problem whatsoever. Having the ability to datalog, along with the laptop interface is so nice. Willie just sent me a custom tune, and I just got back from running and datalogging it, and oh my god... 1st gear - RIP. Before the custom Sniper tune I was able to gain traction all through 1st gear, then I flashed the new tune, and now I can't get traction at all, 2nd gear now pulls like 1st used to. I absolutely love this system, and will be a Sniper customer for life now.

2002BLGT
03-10-2008, 09:27 AM
I just got mine from Willie (2002BLGT) for a great price, and let me tell you.... I have a K&N FIPK2 and Mac Prochamber, and honestly didn't notice a difference at all in performance, so I ordered the Sniper Special Forces through him, hooked it up, and man what an easy system to use! Honestly I'm one of the most computer illiterate person you'll meet and had this thing in, the stock tune pulled and a new one put in from Willie without any problem whatsoever. Having the ability to datalog, along with the laptop interface is so nice. Willie just sent me a custom tune, and I just got back from running and datalogging it, and oh my god... 1st gear - RIP. Before the custom Sniper tune I was able to gain traction all through 1st gear, then I flashed the new tune, and now I can't get traction at all, 2nd gear now pulls like 1st used to. I absolutely love this system, and will be a Sniper customer for life now.

go get it dynoed now ....

smbstyle
03-10-2008, 10:26 AM
go get it dynoed now ....

That's coming this Friday, I'll keep you posted on the numbers :) (as well as the a/f)

2002BLGT
03-10-2008, 10:46 AM
That's coming this Friday, I'll keep you posted on the numbers :) (as well as the a/f)

yea if it needs any adjustments just let me know , be sure to get a copy of the graph and send it to me as well as if you can datalog the MAF volts and RPM on the dyno pull as well .......

smbstyle
03-10-2008, 04:51 PM
yea if it needs any adjustments just let me know , be sure to get a copy of the graph and send it to me as well as if you can datalog the MAF volts and RPM on the dyno pull as well .......

will do :CHEERS:

joshrt
03-10-2008, 09:47 PM
xcal3 ftw

Jester
03-10-2008, 10:07 PM
I just ordered a borla stinger cat back. Only other performance mod is a JLT RAI and bassani x pipe with cats currently removed. Should I get a tuner? How much would it help? If so, which one? I would need one user friendly. I do have a laptop if that makes any difference.
My mach is a 5 speed, w/ 30000 miles. I do plan on adding other things. Headers, gears are possabilities. :worship:

Get whatever your favorite/best tuner around you uses is my advice. Seems like the best tuners around me are using SCT so I have an Xcal2.

2002BLGT
03-10-2008, 10:22 PM
I think some SCT people are going to be shocked real soon ........from what I am seeing some big names are getting ready to add Sniper as another tuning option , just as Amazon , and Mike Wilson at Dallas mustang and a bunch others have already done ........

Seraph
03-10-2008, 10:38 PM
Yeah!! Sniper is all that is needed :D as for Willie, man no one can beat the feedback this guy gives to customers plus help anytime needed in anything you need. Btw thanks for the reply for the A/F I ask you :D.

He is very responsible and watch for his customer A+++ Hands down!

smbstyle
03-12-2008, 01:11 AM
I think some SCT people are going to be shocked real soon ........from what I am seeing some big names are getting ready to add Sniper as another tuning option , just as Amazon , and Mike Wilson at Dallas mustang and a bunch others have already done ........

+1, that's why I got on board!

Unrealford
03-12-2008, 05:37 AM
Sct Is The Only Way To Go.
I like my Predator for my wimpy factory Mach1..Does all I need , shut off TC, improve shift points and firmness. :butt: :3amin:

cobramach1
03-12-2008, 07:39 AM
I like my Predator for my wimpy factory Mach1..Does all I need , shut off TC, improve shift points and firmness. :butt: :3amin:

Yeah, a friend sold me his for $100 from his cobra when he sold the car. My car's stock too, so does all I need as well. :) Depends how much modding you'll do....

2002BLGT
03-12-2008, 08:13 AM
Sct Is The Only Way To Go.

Why is it the only way to go ?

2002BLGT
03-12-2008, 11:37 AM
Simple fact that SCT is the largest "tuning system" out there. That means more tuners use them, therefore he has a far better chance to get his car PROPERLY tuned. .............not that his car would be difficult to tune.

Not everyone can grasp how to PROPERLY tune a car...............some "tuners" don't have it down yet.

Don't give me that "Anyone can tune with Sniper." line. I've seen people's self tuned Sniper cars........I LMMFAO!
Grasp the simple concept: I'm NOT putting Sniper down! Tuning their own car is not for everyone.

I guess you dont understand how the software works , you dont have to know all the technical stuff to get a MORE than accurate tune with Sniper , and I will agree with you when you say some "tuners" dont have it down yet , in my opinion some guys would be better getting Sniper themselves than to get some non educated SCT guy touch their car ....

smbstyle
03-13-2008, 05:41 AM
Sniper is much more user/consumer friendly than the SCT Xcal2 (never seen/used the Xcal3 though), I can't say enough how nice the laptop interface is!

cobramach1
03-13-2008, 08:55 AM
This is kind of a funny argument to me between SCT and Sniper tuners. Am I wrong in thinking that they are both basically the same and you should get the same result from both products? What it really boils down to is the parameters that can be adjusted and then flashed to the car's computer. From what I could see when I looked at both products they both adjust the same range of parameters which tells me that if you tune the car with either one and make the exact same adjustments you should come to the same result. However, every single car is just a little different and needs individual tweaking, but if you start off with a stock car that is better running for whatever reason than another stock car it probably always will be no matter what program you put in the car's computer. I'm not trying to start an argument. I just have a simple diablo myself and I only have it because my buddy sold his cobra and offered it to me for little nothing. I just have a stock car too. My thought on the expensive tuners is that they look like they all do the same thing and adjust the same parameters so they should be equal in output. I guess a way to test the theory would be to make all the same parameter adjustments on one car with one tuner, put it on the dyno for a few pulls to get an average and then make all the same parameter adjustments again with the next tuner on the same car and do the dyno for an average again. They should be similar if not identical from what I would think. I just don't see how one brand can be better than the other when they do the exact same thing and adjust the same parameters. If there truly is a difference then one programmer is obviously not adjusting parameters correctly within the software itself. I'd like to know if anyone has done what I proposed between the two tuners, with the same car and a dyno? That would be the end all argument. Either of you two willing to do this with both tuners, a single car and the same dyno on the same day back to back? :)

smbstyle
03-13-2008, 09:00 AM
I fully understand how it works and have seen the end results. Needless to say, I've turned around and spanked that tune with SCT.:smokin: :3amin:

LOL................NO! Any moron can use a dang flasher.:smack:
We're talking about SOFTWARE!:23: :23:

I'm talking from a CONSUMER standpoint. It's a lot nicer having the LAPTOP interface than a P.O.S. 1" X 1" black and white screen.

2002BLGT
03-13-2008, 09:25 AM
This is kind of a funny argument to me between SCT and Sniper tuners. Am I wrong in thinking that they are both basically the same and you should get the same result from both products? What it really boils down to is the parameters that can be adjusted and then flashed to the car's computer. From what I could see when I looked at both products they both adjust the same range of parameters which tells me that if you tune the car with either one and make the exact same adjustments you should come to the same result. However, every single car is just a little different and needs individual tweaking, but if you start off with a stock car that is better running for whatever reason than another stock car it probably always will be no matter what program you put in the car's computer. I'm not trying to start an argument. I just have a simple diablo myself and I only have it because my buddy sold his cobra and offered it to me for little nothing. I just have a stock car too. My thought on the expensive tuners is that they look like they all do the same thing and adjust the same parameters so they should be equal in output. I guess a way to test the theory would be to make all the same parameter adjustments on one car with one tuner, put it on the dyno for a few pulls to get an average and then make all the same parameter adjustments again with the next tuner on the same car and do the dyno for an average again. They should be similar if not identical from what I would think. I just don't see how one brand can be better than the other when they do the exact same thing and adjust the same parameters. If there truly is a difference then one programmer is obviously not adjusting parameters correctly within the software itself. I'd like to know if anyone has done what I proposed between the two tuners, with the same car and a dyno? That would be the end all argument. Either of you two willing to do this with both tuners, a single car and the same dyno on the same day back to back? :)

you are correct , both tuners have access to the same parameters , therefore its in the adjustments made that will affect how the car will perform ......so SCT being superior to Sniper is total BS , if anything Sniper allows more end user adjustment therefore putting it ahead in the customers viewpoint ...

2002BLGT
03-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Yeah sure.:12: :crazy:

You say im crazy but here you are the one saying SCT is better when anybody with common sense can see they both can modify the same parameters of the computer ? So what makes it better big cheese ?

2002BLGT
03-13-2008, 11:14 AM
STOP THE PI**ING CONTEST!!!!!!!!!!!

Move on to more technical reasons of the tuner's capability and make this thread worth reading or it will be locked!:mean!:

thats kinda hard to do when you got SCT JESUS up here saying after every technical post that SCT is better but then his only reason why is because he says so ....

2002BLGT
03-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Here are the facts , Snipers system uses the original tune to build off of , making the end result closer than just a canned tuned , the drop down menus are full of options that neither SCT or diablo will let you touch without going to an SCT dealer or paying $849 for the pro racer package .....

2002BLGT
03-13-2008, 11:20 AM
as well as the adjustment tables after the initial tunes have far far more range of adjustment than diablo or SCT , as well as the numbers are actual face value , not a percentage crap that does the customer no good if they do not know what their initial timing , fuel etc is .....