PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using a PST Carbon Fibre Driveshaft?

ITLRUN
08-28-2007, 09:58 PM
If so, how do you like it? What does it weigh? Where did you get it?

Thanks.

fields31
08-28-2007, 11:38 PM
pst carbon driveshaft is a nice piece. i believe the weight was 13lbs. dont quote me on that. i bought mine from a register user that ended up ordering it and selling the mach before installing but on there site it has 1 for a 80' to 02' mustang but it should fit cause nothing changed in 03. or you can always call them up and they will custom make 1. but imho it was well worth every penny

http://www.pstds.com/carbonfiber.htm

Mark04Mach1
08-28-2007, 11:39 PM
my buddy mark has one, he'll reply in a bit...!

2k4mach
08-28-2007, 11:48 PM
my buddy mark, has one, he'll reply in a bit...!

lol yeah I have 1. Think it was right around 14 lbs. I like it but id prolly be just as happy with the FRPP alum. I ordered direct from PST.

I think Phil has a thread somewhere about his.

Mark04Mach1
08-28-2007, 11:57 PM
i need a frpp one...asap!

Linumup
08-29-2007, 06:00 AM
Im using the PST and so far its handling quite well .

ITLRUN
08-29-2007, 09:13 AM
Thanks guys, I did a search for PST this am and found more results than I did last night just searching Carbon Fibre Driveshaft. I have answered most of my own questions this morning.

I am swapping in a T-56 into my car. Instead of modding my current FRPP Alum DS, I may just purchase the PST piece and sell me used FRPP part.

Now I need to search T-56 swap and see exactly how long the DS needs to be for a T-56 with a solid rear axle. Anybody know that right off the top of their head? lol

:THUMBSUP:

65fastback2+2
08-29-2007, 09:26 AM
Thanks guys, I did a search for PST this am and found more results than I did last night just searching Carbon Fibre Driveshaft. I have answered most of my own questions this morning.

I am swapping in a T-56 into my car. Instead of modding my current FRPP Alum DS, I may just purchase the PST piece and sell me used FRPP part.

Now I need to search T-56 swap and see exactly how long the DS needs to be for a T-56 with a solid rear axle. Anybody know that right off the top of their head? lol

you can sell me your ds....im prolly gonna be getting one if i do the cams hehe

Hmbre97
08-29-2007, 09:41 AM

Find out what the length is for a 03-04 Cobra and add 3/4" to it.

If I were you, I'd just order a shaft for a 03-04 Cobra. You'll have a little less engagement on the output shaft but there are plenty of high HP Cobra guys who went solid that are running it that way with ZERO issues. That way if you change your mind or demod the car in the future, you'd have an easier time reselling it if it fit terminators.

Fatstang
08-29-2007, 03:13 PM
sounds expensive!

Black Mach 1
09-01-2007, 11:00 AM
The FRPP aluminum driveshaft is 14 pounds and only costs $250.

That's the best bang for the buck.

G
09-01-2007, 11:25 AM
The FRPP aluminum driveshaft is 14 pounds and only costs $250.

That's the best bang for the buck.

Big time agree :worship: :gears:

Phil
09-01-2007, 11:29 AM
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46369&highlight=driveshaft+comparison
[url]

ITLRUN
09-20-2007, 08:16 PM
I ordered my PST carbon fiber driveshaft two days ago. It is fitted with 1350 u-joints and alum yoke. It should be here in a couple of days. I'm interested to see of the alum saves me the advertised 3+/- pounds... :eyebrows:

03AV8R
09-20-2007, 09:59 PM
I re-installed my aluminum 14 Lbs D/S today & forgot how lite that thing really is.. Very easy to handle & slide into the tranny.. Unlike the clutch assembly that weighs like heieLLLL :??:

Black Mach 1
09-21-2007, 05:56 PM
I ordered my PST carbon fiber driveshaft two days ago. It is fitted with 1350 u-joints and alum yoke. It should be here in a couple of days. I'm interested to see of the alum saves me the advertised 3+/- pounds... :eyebrows:

Why did you buy the carbon fiber shaft over the FRPP aluminum shaft?

ITLRUN
09-21-2007, 08:26 PM
Why did you buy the carbon fiber shaft over the FRPP aluminum shaft?

I've had the FRPP piece for quite some time now and I too agree it is a very good piece. But I am trying to do everything I can to lose rotational weight. By doing so the engine doesnt have to work as hard to turn the rear wheels. Plus the carbon fiber shaft has properties that are very desirable even compared to the upgraded alum FRPP shaft.

FWIW, I am a FRPP Top 10 dealer. ;)

VoodooMACH
09-21-2007, 08:33 PM
Big time agree :worship: :gears:

Wow... I got mine when it was $150...lol... the price of metal did go up.

Black Mach 1
09-21-2007, 11:46 PM
I've had the FRPP piece for quite some time now and I too agree it is a very good piece. But I am trying to do everything I can to lose rotational weight. By doing so the engine doesnt have to work as hard to turn the rear wheels. Plus the carbon fiber shaft has properties that are very desirable even compared to the upgraded alum FRPP shaft.

FWIW, I am a FRPP Top 10 dealer. ;)

I suppose if the 2+/- pounds are worth it to you, but I was just wondering.

ITLRUN
09-22-2007, 07:52 AM
I suppose if the 2+/- pounds are worth it to you, but I was just wondering.

I hear what you are saying, but if I managed to save 2 +/- pounds in 10 places, I've just saved 20+/- pounds in rotational weight. Thats a pretty signifacant savings.

03AV8R
09-22-2007, 10:19 AM
I hear what you are saying, but if I managed to save 2 +/- pounds in 10 places, I've just saved 20+/- pounds in rotational weight. Thats a pretty signifacant savings.

That is huge.. Almost as much saved if you had real race wheels on back vs street wheels.. :weird:

Black Mach 1
09-22-2007, 03:45 PM

Yeah I know... I was just curious and wasn't bashing.

ITLRUN
09-24-2007, 11:45 AM
My driveshaft came in this morning. It is a real piece of art! On my shipping scales it weighs 14.0 pounds compared to a new FRPP aluminum shaft at 14.2 pounds on the same scales. I ordered mine with 1350 u-joints instead of the stock 1330 u-joints and that added just a little bit of weight.

Advantages of Carbon Fiber

*Lighter than steel or aluminum. (Not in this case - LOL)
*Torsional spring rate allows better tire hook-up.
*Torsional spring rate allows smoother shifting.
*Less shock load to the differential.
*Eliminates or dampens high speed vibrations.
*Reduces transmission and differential breakage.
*Characteristics can be varied by changing the wind, angles or diameter. PST offers both steel and 7075 Billet Aluminum yokes.
*In road racing smoother shifting and better durability of transmission and differential have been reported.
*Tested on Cobra's at 180 MPH on Dyno with no vibrations.
*A much greater safety factor - carbon fiber will return to a fiber and not create shrapnel under the car, as would aluminum or steel shafts.

:PIMP:

Phil
09-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm a firm believer in the CF driveshaft. Been running mine for 2.5 yrs now. Takes a lot of shock load off the drivetrain, especially the factory 3650 input shaft.

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19959&highlight=carbon+fiber+driveshaft