PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with colored batteries?

rsnider
08-12-2007, 12:10 PM
The battery in the Mach finally died. I went to Auto Zone for a new battery and all they had to fit my yellow mach was red top batteries. They did have yellow batteries, but none of them fit the Mach. Planning NEVER to step foot into a Checker Auto Parts store again I felt stuck. I knew that buying a battery at a dealership was going to be $$$ so I went ahead and purchased a Duralast battery that has a deep red top on it. YUCH. They didn't even have a Optima Yellow Top that fit my car... not that I would pay $160 for a battey.

I have thought about buying an insulated cover for the battery, but now that I need one I can't find them? My daughters VW Golf had ove over the battery and that battery lasted five years... which in unheard of in Phoenix! They must work.

Does anyone know where I can find an insulated battery cover?

cobramach1
08-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Wow! 5 years! I didn't realize those covers would make that much difference. Do you attribute it to the cover? I can't get more than 3 years out of a battery here in Henderson either.

rsnider
08-12-2007, 12:36 PM
The Golf originally came from Hawaii (military). I can't remember if it was a VW battery???? If it was from the factory it was a name brand because the name didn't raise any attention with me?

Update on red battery:
I just looked at Auto Zone online. I was just wondering how much an Optima would cost me if I decided to go that route. Guess what... they do make a Gold Top (five year warranty) for the Mach!!! The color is more like dark yellow than gold. When the 16 year old girl said they don't have them for my car what she really meant was that they didn't have any IN STOCK that fit my car! Nuts... now I have to go back and fight with Auto Zone to upgrade the battery I bought yesterday to a Gold Top. We will see how accomodating Auto Zone can be.

More to come.

rsnider
08-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Just got back from Auto Zone. They exchanged the battery no questions asked. I traded a 5yr red top for an 8 year yellow top (gold) and got $10 back!!! The kid said that the red top battery I was trading in was a "specialty" battery because it was listed in the computer as only fitting a Mach 1. The new 8 year battery is 1" shorter but fits perfectly.

Yea Auto Zone!

G
08-12-2007, 05:03 PM
The battery in the Mach finally died. I went to Auto Zone for a new battery and all they had to fit my yellow mach was red top batteries. They did have yellow batteries, but none of them fit the Mach. Planning NEVER to step foot into a Checker Auto Parts store again I felt stuck. I knew that buying a battery at a dealership was going to be $$$ so I went ahead and purchased a Duralast battery that has a deep red top on it. YUCH. They didn't even have a Optima Yellow Top that fit my car... not that I would pay $160 for a battey.
I have thought about buying an insulated cover for the battery, but now that I need one I can't find them? My daughters VW Golf had ove over the battery and that battery lasted five years... which in unheard of in Phoenix! They must work.

Does anyone know where I can find an insulated battery cover?

The Optima is worth every penny!!!

I put one in a race car when they first came out, it's still going strong. That car has been sold twice and that battery has outlasted almost every other part of the car.

Good luck :D

2k4mach
08-12-2007, 05:04 PM
The Optima is worth every penny!!!

I put one in a race car when they first came out, it's still going strong. That car has been sold twice and that battery has outlasted almost every other part of the car.

Good luck :D

lol im with you there, my fox body has been running an optima since 98-99 and its still going strong.