PDA

View Full Version : Fluids Reccomendation

BFVTHOKIE
10-07-2002, 06:15 PM
Hey, just a reccomendation on fluids. I use only AMSOIL fluids in all of my vehicles, and they seem to last forever because of it. I looked over the chemical properties of Amsoil vs Mobile 1 vs Redline. And Amsoil is consistantly a little better.

Our 95' Explorer just got sold with 238,000 miles on it, it was used many times for towing, even though it had the manual and was not reccomended for it. It used Amsoil synthetics its entire life, following break in (don't use synthetics until the car hits its initial "break-in" period).

Anyways, the neat story is that the dealership believed the vehicle was pretty much beat and they would be auctioning it off to some south american importer. But when it underwent inspection- the mechanic decided to buy it because it was mechanically in such amazing shape. It was still running better then a vehicle with less then 50,000 miles on it- which ran conventional or semi-synthetic oil. (we only sold it because we liked the 2002 Explorer, and got a great deal offered to us as a gift since we were moving).

So, that is my endorsement for Amsoil- oh, and the differential gears showed barely any wear- and the transmission still shifted like it was brand new. Amazing stuff- costs alittle more- but wow.

Also talked with Sal Zaino, his products had been reccomended many times on this board already. Really nice guy, I'd buy from him on the basis of customer service alone- can't vouch for his products yet. But according to my chemical engineer roomate- they sound great!

dobiedog
10-07-2002, 08:07 PM
I have heard nothing but awesome results from the switch to or use of Amsoil. Some friends of mine have Mercedes Unimogs. They were originally built for use under 50 MPH. The gearboxes get literally RED HOT and self destruct. By switching to Amsoil they reduce friction thus heat and actually can speed up and still preserve the life of the tranny. I will make my decision at 2,000 miles :THUMBSUP: just my opinion

colt .45
10-07-2002, 09:06 PM
I switched from Castrol Syntec to Royal Purple. Havent really noticed a difference. :confused:

BFVTHOKIE
10-10-2002, 01:15 PM
I am not a big fan of Royal Purple- they seem to have just jumped on the bandwagon of performance lubricants. Castrol Syntec isn't bad I have some connections with Castrol and know they only put out good, reliable, products. But they aren't really the top of the line. You probably wont notice too much difference in your car just by swithing between synthetics- they all will "feel" about the same. But run a leakdown test in about 75,000 miles- the difference is unmistakeable.

FYI: my Amsoil 0W-30 Severe Service Oil is about $8-10 a quart- It will last 36,000 miles (change filter every 12,000). (Of course I change the oil every 7500 miles, but thats just for my piece of mind). So high quality synthetics are NOT cheap. But neither is a new engine...

Also, Amsoil is used by the airforce to lubricate jet fighters (yes, the same formulas used in there car motor oil). They don't advertise this. But a friend of mine who maintains F-16's was like "Hey, we use that motor oil of yours on our jets".

Oh, I don't want to knock down Mobil 1 or Redline fluids here either. I know they are both great products as well- but for my investment- Amsoil has already proven itself twice over.

dobiedog
10-10-2002, 07:48 PM
The proof to me was in the heat reduction and the endurance tests I have seen. There is almost no wear when using Amsoil.

69mach03
10-10-2002, 09:18 PM
I would recommend motor oil for the engine. I really think if you keep the proper amount of oil in it, the performance really can't be beat.

Just my opinion, my friends drain their factory oil and run them dry. Says it cuts down on the weight, picking up a tenth at the track.

gotmach
10-14-2002, 09:01 PM
It has been proven by Mustangs and Fast Fords magazine to pick up an extra 5 hp when useing synthetic oils. Every little bit will help. Just between a k&n air filter and synthetic oil you can gain an easy 10 to 15 hp. Synthetic oils not only lube better but will tolerate heat and cold temps better. Put a quart of 5/30 regular oil and quart of synthetic oil in the freezer overnight and see which pours out of the bottle first.
I recommend after the first 1000 miles to change all the fluids to synthetic of your choice. It will make a differance.
:D

loveOliver
09-24-2003, 10:15 PM
umm, running your engine dry will only ruin it. the end result of a dry engine is the pistons heating to the point they melt to the cylinder walls. it'll make is slower too. oil causes less friction in your engine, thus making it run more efficiently. running a synthetic will help your engine in the long run. conventional oil (mineral oil) breaks down over time and use, synthetic does not. on paper it could last forever, you just have to keep it clean. the problem with that is oil filters can't clean out everything. hence why amsoil says to switch your filter halfway instead of switching everything. i personally use amsoil products. i change the oil and oil filter every 6-7 thousand miles. i also put an oil filter magnet on my oil filter. this grabs all the metal particals that eat through your filter, helping clean. the metal particles are what hurt the engine the most. you can find one of these at an autoparts store.

ryan

Skoozo
09-24-2003, 10:36 PM
Something to ponder;

Those TV commercials they show at 3 AM Friday night show the engines running without oil. Can someone explain to me how these engines can run without the HYDRAULIC LIFTERS being pumped up????

Totoland Mach
09-25-2003, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by Skoozo
Something to ponder;

Those TV commercials they show at 3 AM Friday night show the engines running without oil. Can someone explain to me how these engines can run without the HYDRAULIC LIFTERS being pumped up????

I still like the Thigh Master commercials. Maybe they used solid lifters for the commercial...or (heaven forbid) maybe it's just hype. I have a neighbor that has ordered more junk from those infomercials...with a 99% disappointment rate.

Grimmr
09-26-2003, 12:25 AM
In answer to your question about how they run a car without oil to the hydrolic lifters on TV.

They have a script, and with a good script you can do anything that has to be done. Nothing breaks that shouldn't and you can fire 50,000 bullets at guy in a small room and he'll still be around to see another day...it's all in the script!

Ralph Greene
09-26-2003, 10:38 AM
We all know synthetics are superior lubricants. They lube better in extreme hot and in extreme cold. They even advertise they hold solids in suspension better than conventional oils, and keep engines cleaner.

However...The real question is are they any better for your car for the way you use your car? And your climate?

I suspect not for most of us. Any Ford service manager can tell you about cars easily going 200,000-300,000 miles with no engine wear problems when using conventional oils. Also in the transportation section of our local paper, one can regularly read about cars going 1,000,000 plus miles with no engine problems when using only conventional oils. However, these high milage cars are usually kept in good tune.

My point is this. I use synthetics myself (Amsoil or Mobile 1) , but really believe most of our views are based on hype. Sure synthetics are superior lubes, but do our cars care? Have you ever heard of an engine problem caused by using conventional oil of the proper weight and grade?

Sure...mechanics tell about tearing down engines that were gumed up using 20W50 conventional oils and short trips, but how about comparing similar use engines using 5W oils and normal use? You never hear about that. Since about 1/2 of the volume of the oil package is the additive package in conventional oil, and less so in syn oils, it seems to me the differences between the two oils is getting less and less. The "marketing" guys are laughing all the way to the bank on this one I bet.

However. I'm getting low on Amsoil 5W20, better order a couple cases.

loveOliver
09-26-2003, 10:59 AM
i strongly believe sythnetics are better for you car. whether or not this belief is completely extremely true isn't the question. again, ignorance is bliss. i gotta order some more amsoil too.

ryan

GOTdaBLUE1
09-26-2003, 01:23 PM
OK, here it goes. A dumb question. RE:It will last 36,000 miles (change filter every 12,000). This sounds like a receipe for a big mess. How is this done? Quickly?:D Assuming you will lose some oil; do you catch it as it drains, and then reuse it? Or, do you just add new oil to replace the loss?

"To admit one's ignorance is a step towards knowledge".

GOTdaBLUE1
09-27-2003, 02:12 AM
Come on guys; it wasn't that dumb. I am curious as to how this is performed. :SMASH:

Bill Hamilton
09-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by GOTdaBLUE1
Come on guys; it wasn't that dumb. I am curious as to how this is performed. :SMASH:

Well, everytime you change the filter you must add back some oil based on the filter size and the oil in the filter when you take it off. Other than that, the rest of the oil remains in the oil pan and engine.:)