PDA

View Full Version : Signature Line(s) & Graphics

03mach1
10-07-2002, 12:54 PM
When creating your "Signature Line", Please do NOT use Graphics in them.
This eats up database space and BANDWIDTH increases and when everyone starts using them, It makes it hard to read the actual Text Messages.

I have seen this on other forums, and all you see is the Signature graphics all over the message posts....and you have to scroll way down to actually read the messages..... :)

If you need to make the text signature smaller, just put the codes in front of the text

i.e.
this is small text
[ size = 1 ] put text here [ /size] (without spaces)

BOLD: [ b ] [ /b ]
BOLD

IMAGES IN MESSAGE POSTS:
The Max. size is 800x600 and less then 70K in size.
The Max. size for an Avatar is 50x50 and less then 10K in size.

Also, you can upload MUCH larger Files in the Photogallery. You can upload up to 150K file size and then just link to the image in your message. see below.

Also, you can link to images other other sections of the website or other websites ex) [ img] http://www...../imagename.jpg [ /img] (Look at the Help section of the forums under VB CODES)
That will display the image directly.

Otherwise uploading it will only display an attachment link.

Thanks.
Questions, let me know!

WarpdSpazm
10-07-2002, 01:00 PM
It's true. Most of you know how annoying it is on BON or any where else. open a thread and all you see is graphic after graphic... takes like 5 minutes to load.... argh....avatar should be good enough. pics of our cars will go in "owners rides" (when they get here)

02mach1
10-07-2002, 02:11 PM
I argee when get our car put on there,

34Ford
10-08-2002, 08:09 PM
Opps,
Bet your talking about me.

Hey, is the forum 5 hours ahead of the east coast, or is it me?

Dennis

03mach1
10-08-2002, 09:55 PM
You;'re okay, it's small and not too obtrusive...

It uses Greenwich? Mean Time (GMT) - 5 hours. (International Date Line)

Sometimes the time gets screwed up? and it states the wrong time...

The Forums are ON the East Coast, actually in Virginia, I think? I am not really sure...I am in NY...hmmm..maybe I am in another time zone??? Maybe the forums are in Texas or California, who cares, they work. :??:

dobiedog
10-09-2002, 11:34 AM
Can and win XP experts help me here ? At work when I check the forum, the gifs are animated....worshippy...hammer etc. At home, they are not animated. What setting do I need to turn on ? Not serious, but I like the animation :rolleyes:

Oh yea....I am running win xp and the latest Internet Explorer...Thanks

03mach1
10-09-2002, 12:39 PM
IN your Internet Explorer,

Goto (T)ools, Internet (O)ptions, (A)dvanced and scroll down to MultiMedia and make sure the box for [X] Play Animations in Web pages is CHECKED....

Hope that helps!

MidLifeC
10-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Dave,

Your web server is in Sterling, VA. Hosted by Verio, a NTT company.

dobiedog
10-09-2002, 02:27 PM
I will give it a shot when I get home tonight. Thanks again. Man...I am on here at work again.....I AM addicted......

:SMASH:

34Ford
10-09-2002, 04:02 PM
Okay, thanks Dave.

Yea, the forum is on time now.:)

Dennis

03mach1
10-09-2002, 06:13 PM
I knew it was somewhere down there. Actually the company I am dealing with http://www.ntidesign.com has really good features/hosting rates at the time I needed a site. They share the Verio Computer backbone in a building or something??

As long as it is running, I am happy! :)

MidLifeC
10-09-2002, 07:20 PM
Dave, Verio is huge. They, like other ASP's will rent servers' to small companies who then rent out the servers to people like you and me. www.verio.net, they have packages that start at $15/month. I did the same thing for my company, we were on a web server leased by a third party design company. I moved our web site to a large ASP for 1/2 the price. You're right though, as long as the rates are cheap, the service is good, the site stays up, and they use reasonable security measures, who cares where the server is.

mgk2
10-17-2002, 02:20 PM
Dave,

I am confused what is a signature and how do I make one for the computer post I make.

Mike:CHEERS:

Walt
01-04-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by WarpdSpazm
yeah, what he said.
It's true. Most of you know how annoying it is on BON or any where else. open a thread and all you see is graphic after graphic... takes like 5 minutes to load.... argh....avatar should be good enough. pics of our cars will go in "owners rides" (when they get here)

RayMuratore@msn.com
AIM:WarpdSpazm
2003 Mach 1 Torch RED, 5-spd, Member #75
Ordered: 6/15 - DORA 6/19
VIN: 340165
Bucked: 11/4 Build Date:11/7
ETA Dealer: 11/18 Actual Arrival: 12/03/02
Inaugural member : "10/7 Club"
12/14 Dyno with 550 miles:
RWHP = 279.2
RWTQ = 304.8

"Diagnosed with sever whiplash and a lead foot."

Is there any way to limit or restrict the length of Signature Lines?

IMHO, the number of lines in the signature should not exceed the number of lines of the actual text. A good example is quoted above.

A lot of this stuff could be simply put over in a "bio" no?

Just how many times do I need to read and re-read someone's VIN number, the color of his car, all the cars he has owned in their life time, favorite quote, etc?

WarpdSpazm
01-04-2003, 11:23 AM
Is that better for you walt?

Walt
01-04-2003, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by WarpdSpazm
Is that better for you walt?

Sorry, I wasn't really trying to pick on just you. :)

I am just proposing that the text-to-signature "ratio" should never be more than 50%. In other words, the number of lines in that person's signature should never be more than the number of lines in the important message one is trying to write.

Mostly, I support people having something important to add to the thread, but that message can all to easily get lost in a "sea" of line after line after line in the long signature.

There is already a handy "Profile" button at the end of each posting. IMHO, it should be in those profiles that people keep their all personal info, not at the end of each and every posting they make. Anyone interested in that person's info, after reading a posting, can just click on the "Profile" button and read it too.

L.B.
05-30-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Walt
Is there any way to limit or restrict the length of Signature Lines?

IMHO, the number of lines in the signature should not exceed the number of lines of the actual text. A good example is quoted above.

A lot of this stuff could be simply put over in a "bio" no?

Just how many times do I need to read and re-read someone's VIN number, the color of his car, all the cars he has owned in their life time, favorite quote, etc?

Ummmm...Or....you could just go into your "Edit options" on your "User control panel" and under "Thread View Options" select "no" for "Show user's signatures in their posts?"....I'm pretty sure that's why that option is available :rolleyes:

Personally, the signature area, especially when mods are listed, is one of my favorite things on this website...I enjoy seeing what mods others are doing...it has prompted many a PM and/or photo request...both from me and to me...

Walt
05-31-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by L.B.
Ummmm...Or....you could just go into your "Edit options" on your "User control panel" and under "Thread View Options" select "no" for "Show user's signatures in their posts?"....I'm pretty sure that's why that option is available :rolleyes:

Wow, thanks! It works.

I had seen that option, but assumed that "user's signature" meant my signature. Therefore, that option meant to show (or not show) my signature in my own posts.

I didn't realize that in the options section sometimes the term "user" meant me, and sometimes it meant other users.

305PNYS
06-01-2003, 12:18 AM
IMHO, Everything you guys would want to know about me is all there already. I have a yellow avatar and my name is pretty specific to my gender. Occasionally I sign with my first name. I have no past mustangs to include in my sig. That's really the only thing I notice in a sig. I think only unusual facts warrant a signature line. We are all talking about the same car :LAUGH: Many have the same mods. etc etc etc.....

Cheryl
Married female in California
<< zinc yellow Ummmmm....Mach 1..oh...2003 model. Completely stock with the exception of owner tags. (stomp stomp..it is a mod, it didn't come with the car!!);) ;) ;)
Any suggestions on what else to add??? :LAUGH: :LAUGH:
Just having a funny guys, don't anyone get their jockeys in a bunch. I appreciate all the different personalities here!

MachB1ue
06-01-2003, 12:39 AM
I agree...long indepth signatures are useless. Just state the facts and be done with it.

Bullitt5094
02-26-2004, 02:32 PM
For some reason, I can't use VB codes to insert pics on this site, like this one...

http://www.rcwatson.com/cobrabrake.jpg

What am I doing wrong. This same link worked on two other forums I tested it on.

Edit: Now it works on this forum section. Man, am I confused!

OK, lets try this one...

http://www.rcwatson.com/bullittsnake4.jpg

OK, I posted both of those in the Problems section and neither of them are coming up there. I surrender. :SMASH:

New Mach
03-22-2005, 06:36 PM
I would like to add a "orange" Mustang avatar to my thread.
1. Is it okay to do that (seems I may need to borrow the photo from someone)
2. Are there instructions on how to perform install?

Thank you,

Michae (aka Vffr1)

New Mach
03-22-2005, 06:38 PM
Nevermind, seems I figured it out.

Michael

Koz-04Mach
03-22-2005, 08:14 PM
I have a question on sigs. I have tried to resolve mine but I cant find out how. On other boards there was a way to make it so only your first post in a thread showd your sig, while any new replys on the same thread left it off. Is that an option on this board? I cant seem to find that setting?

03mach1
03-23-2005, 05:43 PM
It is probably a 'hack' for the forums, we don't have that installed

JDraper
03-23-2005, 08:34 PM
IN your Internet Explorer,

Goto (T)ools, Internet (O)ptions, (A)dvanced and scroll down to MultiMedia and make sure the box for [X] Play Animations in Web pages is CHECKED....

Hope that helps!

Mine is checked, but the animations are still not working...only for this site....any ideas?

New Mach
11-20-2005, 01:25 AM
test

NC Mach 1
02-17-2006, 09:37 PM
So has this ban of graphics been lifted. I see them in sigs.

2k4mach
02-17-2006, 09:45 PM
wondering the same thing, seems like slowly more and more are showing up

wchamberlain
07-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Just Testing

32VALVR
12-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Not sure if this is the right forum but, got a question. How do you guys edit the line directly beneath our name? ie Regisered User.
Thanks

03mach1
12-13-2006, 06:16 PM
Under USER CP (Control Panel), EDIT Profile, a section for USE CUSTOM TITLE.

32VALVR
12-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Under USER CP (Control Panel), EDIT Profile, a section for USE CUSTOM TITLE.
Thanks Dave.:gears:

rdewalt
12-14-2006, 08:27 AM
test

San Pedro Mach
01-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Are sig pics in or out??? I know the forums rules say no, but I had one anyways. It eventually got blocked, then I put another one and that got blocked only after I got a thread locked, now there is an option for them in our CP....

Judges, we need a ruling please.

Also, are blocking sig pics a form of Registry discipline? Thanks. :worship:

DTMach1
01-02-2007, 11:01 PM
Me confused:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57847&highlight=signature+pic

San Pedro Mach
01-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Me confused:

http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=57847&highlight=signature+pic

I'm kinda more interested in the discipline thing. :D

DTMach1
01-02-2007, 11:08 PM
I'm kinda more interested in the discipline thing. :D

I can give a crap about getting my pecker slapped, but I would like an answer that'll let everyone know the official ruling here.

It is an option in your User CP settings...probably left on, on accident after the last round of upgrades.

San Pedro Mach
01-02-2007, 11:10 PM
I can give a crap about getting my pecker slapped, but I would like an answer that'll let everyone know the official ruling here.

It is an option in your User CP settings...probably left on, on accident after the last round of upgrades.

Agreed.....I also just wanna see what the ruling is. :wings:

03mach1
01-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Signatures have ALWAYS been NOT ALLOWED pretty much since the beginning of the forums (4+ years ago!), first, due to server issues and slowness of the forums, then due to overpowering of the threads/posts themselves. People on the forums want to see and read content, not to see pics of people cars in every other posting, especially if they are large signature lines.

So people have gone around the system with certain "coding" to get their signature graphics to appear, if we ban the HTML coding, then, NO links or anyting would appear and some have links to their own pics/websites, etc. We only banned the IMG coding for signatures,

yes maybe after some upgrades, it was left turned on or not an option anymore? Not sure.

many other forums have it, and all you see if graphics for one word postings throughout and you cannot even get to see the real topics with scrolling thru pages and pages of sig. graphics.

Most people on here are abiding by the rules and the ones with graphics, the image mostly small and unobtrusive.

DTMach1
01-03-2007, 06:01 PM
Signatures have ALWAYS been NOT ALLOWED pretty much since the beginning of the forums (4+ years ago!), first, due to server issues and slowness of the forums, then due to overpowering of the threads/posts themselves. People on the forums want to see and read content, not to see pics of people cars in every other posting, especially if they are large signature lines.

So people have gone around the system with certain "coding" to get their signature graphics to appear, if we ban the HTML coding, then, NO links or anyting would appear and some have links to their own pics/websites, etc. We only banned the IMG coding for signatures,

yes maybe after some upgrades, it was left turned on or not an option anymore? Not sure.

many other forums have it, and all you see if graphics for one word postings throughout and you cannot even get to see the real topics with scrolling thru pages and pages of sig. graphics.

Most people on here are abiding by the rules and the ones with graphics, the image mostly small and unobtrusive.

Dave, in the User CP panel, under signature, it has the option to load a sig pic. Which wasn't there before the current upgrade. I think that's where the confusion arose(at least from me).

Thanks for clearing it up!

birdman941
01-03-2007, 06:57 PM
I had a cool animated avatar that no longer works. :OUCH:
Did you change something or?
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showpost.php?p=625603&postcount=6

DTMach1
01-03-2007, 08:29 PM
I had a cool animated avatar that no longer works. :OUCH:
Did you change something or?
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showpost.php?p=625603&postcount=6

Have you tried to re-load it since the upgrade?

Also the size parameters may have changed, which means the file size might be to big now.

San Pedro Mach
01-03-2007, 09:01 PM
-Animated GIFs are not allowed anymore. :frown:

-I agree with DT

-Are banning sig pics a form a Registry discipline? :help:

Jester
01-07-2007, 01:26 AM
-Are banning sig pics a form a Registry discipline? :help:

No.

San Pedro Mach
02-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Well, another of my sig pics has been deleted, even though I didn't use a 3rd party IMG tag.

I used the control panel here on the Reg and uploaded the pic.

Can anyone give us a yes or no answer on sig pics? And why is it that my pics are always deleted and others are not?

San Pedro Mach
02-18-2007, 12:14 PM
Hey Dale, maybe now that you're a mod maybe you can help out with this question.
:hail1:

Dale = Cool Mod. :cool:

Jester
02-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Hey Dale, maybe now that you're a mod maybe you can help out with this question.
:hail1:

Dale = Cool Mod. :cool:

Sig pics are not allowed, period.

San Pedro Mach
02-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Cool

DSG Mach ONE
03-18-2007, 02:20 PM
The guidelines say no pictures in signatures... Why do we now have the option to upload them directly to the website?

You may upload a new custom image using the controls below. Either enter the URL to the image you wish to use, or use the upload control to upload an image directly from your own computer.

Enter URL to Image:

Upload Image From Your Computer:

Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 500 by 100 pixels or 19.5 KB (whichever is smaller).

I can understand not allowing people to upload or link full-size pictures that take up the whole screen every time they post, but we have the option to upload up to 500x100 pixels or 19.5 kb, yet it is not allowed?

Eric

DTMach1
03-18-2007, 02:53 PM
The guidelines say no pictures in signatures... Why do we now have the option to upload them directly to the website?

I can understand not allowing people to upload or link full-size pictures that take up the whole screen every time they post, but we have the option to upload up to 500x100 pixels or 19.5 kb, yet it is not allowed?

Eric

It was an option that was left on after the upgrade. It was an accident, but the rules are still in place. The owner of this site doesn't want sig pics because it slows down page loading etc.

DSG Mach ONE
03-18-2007, 03:23 PM
It was an option that was left on after the upgrade. It was an accident, but the rules are still in place. The owner of this site doesn't want sig pics because it slows down page loading etc.

Can the option be updated to eliminate confusion?

The majority of people are not going read this thread and when they see the option in edit signature to upload pictures they will do so not knowing it is frowned upon.

Mustanger2
03-18-2007, 03:36 PM
Ok I won't use sig pics..

G
03-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Does this create a monitoring issue for the mods or is it a capacity issue?

Just curious, I can take them or leave them. :OUCH: