PDA

View Full Version : help with tire pressure.

dicebier
09-03-2003, 11:31 PM
I just got 4 AFS 18X9 Chrome mach 1 wheels and wrapped them all up with 275/35/18 Toyo Proxes T1-S rubber. First, can someone tell me if these tires are competitive with the Michelin Pilot Sports or the Yokohamas or Khumos...the salesman here at Big O says they are better...is that true??? Secondly, what tire pressure should I use for street driving ... some say 38, some say 35 and some say 32. I know we're supposed to go with the door jam decal, but is that for stock size tires or for these 18's as well. All replies would be greatly appreciated!!!

GOTdaBLUE1
09-04-2003, 12:46 AM
"...35-psi front and rear for both performance and street applications." MMFF Oct 2003 page 182

Ralph Greene
09-04-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm running 18X9 wheels with 255X40X18 tires all around. For street use, I run 32-33 cold in front, and 29-30 in rear. My main interst is decent ride with enough air to keep the wheels off the pavement in pot holes etc.

For serious handling type driving, I imagine I would be experimenting with higher air pressures, but see no need in higher pressures for normal street driving. Hard riding hi pressures does not always mean better handling either. On our solid axle cars, where the tire is a big part of the suspension, it's good to run soft enough to help keep the tire in contact with the pavement, but firm enough to keep it from rolling over.

My idea of cold setting is being in the garage all night, no sun shining on tires to heat them up, and checking before driving then.