PDA

View Full Version : Daily Drivers 12k+ miles

Black42R
08-27-2003, 10:54 PM
Anyone experiencing their clutch slipping?? I have been noticing since about 8000 miles that the friction point for the clutch has moved from half of the full pedal movement to just about having my foot off the pedal before the before the gear fully engages.

falcongtho3
08-28-2003, 08:58 AM
Have you tried using the clutch adjustment procedure? You pull up the clutch pedal (it moves about 1/2 inch) and then push down. That should do the trick, although I always did it twice to make sure. (This was on my '82 GT and '01 GT, the Mach 1 is the same.)

Black42R
08-28-2003, 06:01 PM
i have tried that and it doesn't work.

Tomcat427
08-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by Black42R
Anyone experiencing their clutch slipping?? I have been noticing since about 8000 miles that the friction point for the clutch has moved from half of the full pedal movement to just about having my foot off the pedal before the before the gear fully engages.

Mine was shot at 15,000 miles. I am not a good example though, I had a front seal leak that the dealer said caused the problem. (Not to mention my driving)

Good Luck!

Shaker1
08-29-2003, 02:23 AM
One thing I have noticed is that unless I fully depress the clutch to the floor there is still some clutch action. I keep my seat adjusted to allow full clutch travel even though it puts me closer to the steering wheel and other pedals than I prefer. I suspect that not fully depressing the clutch will cause increased wear. I do not believe my clutch is out of adjustment cuz the majority of clutch engagement is about half pedal. Still, if on a slight incline I can feel the clutch holding the car unless it is almost to the floor.

1mach03
08-29-2003, 04:16 AM
Im close to the 12,000 mile mark and so far no problems with the mach. Hope your situation with your mach 1 is an easy one to resolve. :ANGEL: april the vettelady.

Voodoo96743
08-29-2003, 08:26 PM
Mustangs have some of the worst clutch quadrants ever. They are cheap plastic, and the adjustment teeth have a tendency to wear and not hold adjustment. Not to mention the tendency to twist laterally causing poor alignment and improper cable travel. My suggestion is a steeda quadrant, and firewall adjuster(stock cable is better than many aftermarket, so reuse that). Then get the Maximum Motorsports clutch pedal height adjustor kit. Think it was $80 for the Steeda stuff and $20 for the MM kit.

On a side note, i could never imagine putting 12k miles on a car in a year. I usually max out at 3k.

Black42R
08-30-2003, 01:56 AM
I'm at 13,200 miles. Mostly attributed to my long vacation going back to Washington State. Which is another reason I know its not me causing the undue wear on the clutch. I use the freeway to go everywhere (being in Southern California you kind of have to). Over 4700 miles on the car are a direct result of constant speeds of 70+mph that was completed in less than 2 weeks. I don't race it... so it just has to be a bad clutch.

03AV8R
08-31-2003, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Black42R
I'm at 13,200 miles. Mostly attributed to my long vacation going back to Washington State. Which is another reason I know its not me causing the undue wear on the clutch. I use the freeway to go everywhere (being in Southern California you kind of have to). Over 4700 miles on the car are a direct result of constant speeds of 70+mph that was completed in less than 2 weeks. I don't race it... so it just has to be a bad clutch.

Yuppers, id kinda hafta agree.. My Sister lives in San Diego and drives 98% of the time on HWY. @ 80 MPH.. Kinda hard to ruin a clutch thataway unless your trying.. :D

CANXLR8
08-31-2003, 12:12 PM
I'm at 11,700 - haven't noticed any change...of course now I'll be anal about checking it....:rolleyes:

Tomcat427
08-31-2003, 03:18 PM
I had forgotten about this:

The TSB reads, 16067, Some 2000-2003 Mustang, Equipped with manual transmission, may exhibit a hard shift into gear condition, particularly from a stop into first or reverse gear. This may be caused by an incorrectly adjusted clutch pedal. To service, loosen the clutch pedal shaft nut, ( work shop manual section 308-02) Lift clutch pedal in the full upward position, while holding in full upward position. tighten nut to 40 NM (30 lb-ft)