PDA

View Full Version : Buying new car from out of state question

Unrealford
04-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Now that the 2003 Mach1 with 2,100 miles has been sold already at local dealer(2 days @23,500) I am thinking of buying a new Mustang from MI, What will it take to get this car legal for New York state emisions?

Blackpony04
04-08-2007, 12:06 AM
First off, it isn't new considering they stopped making them 3 years ago. Unless you're buying a never titled unsold one you would be buying a preowned vehicle. Secondly, I do believe Californy has the most stringent emissions laws and if I recall correctly our Machs come straight from the factory meeting them all so I'm sure there's nothing needed for NY. Finally, I grew up in Lewiston just 20 miles north of you although I moved away more than 20 years ago. I miss that area all the time as I haven't experienced more than 12 inches of snow at a time since! Oh yeah, and welcome and good luck! :CHEERS:

Fastbandit99
04-08-2007, 12:08 AM
First off, it isn't new considering they stopped making them 3 years ago. Unless you're buying a never titled unsold one you would be buying a preowned vehicle. Secondly, I do believe Californy has the most stringent emissions laws and if I recall correctly our Machs come straight from the factory meeting them all so I'm sure there's nothing needed for NY. Finally, I grew up in Lewiston just 20 miles north of you although I moved away more than 20 years ago. I miss that area all the time as I haven't experienced more than 12 inches of snow at a time since! Oh yeah, and welcome and good luck! :CHEERS:

He didn't say he was buying a new Mach...

Blackpony04
04-08-2007, 12:11 AM
He didn't say he was buying a new Mach...

Details, details! :D Well, I suppose I'd still be correct considering the emissions are probably better on the S197s anyway. And I still love New York so I guess 2 out of 3 ain't bad! :tongue:

mjbarnet
04-09-2007, 12:36 AM
Now that the 2003 Mach1 with 2,100 miles has been sold already at local dealer(2 days @23,500) I am thinking of buying a new Mustang from MI, What will it take to get this car legal for New York state emisions?

I have an 04 Azure Blue with 2,100 miles on it that I am thinking of selling. It is a 5-speed with IUP ($21,000 Firm). Only mods are a flannel lined canvas indoor car cover and Ford ESP.
PM me if interested, I'm in Iowa City, IA.

musicalmerlin
04-14-2007, 09:41 PM
Probably the only time you'll have an issue is if the car has been extensively exhaust modded. You're completely screwed if the cats or sensors have been pulled.

Might be useful to have a sticky here listing the states that don't have emissions testing and those that do.

Red Mach'03
04-14-2007, 10:10 PM
The main thing is see if u have to pay taxes on it there and back in your state. But other than that u should be fine.

mikeofwarr
04-14-2007, 10:35 PM
Probably the only time you'll have an issue is if the car has been extensively exhaust modded. You're completely screwed if the cats or sensors have been pulled.

Might be useful to have a sticky here listing the states that don't have emissions testing and those that do.

In Virginia the emissions testing is by county. The county I live in does not do them. But closer in to Washington DC they do the testing. Probably around Richmond and Norfolk also.

ITS BACK
04-15-2007, 10:22 AM
In Virginia the emissions testing is by county. The county I live in does not do them. But closer in to Washington DC they do the testing. Probably around Richmond and Norfolk also.
Missouri is the same but only around the St. Louis area. Also the car might be ok with out all of the emissions equipment if the tune is good. Granted the STL limits might not be as tight as NY, but my 03 Mach and my brother's 93 Cobra passed without having cats. His 93 was on the upper limits, but my 03 was real low. Now if they visually check each car then they would be screwed.

musicalmerlin
04-15-2007, 10:44 AM
The main thing is see if u have to pay taxes on it there and back in your state. But other than that u should be fine.

Depending on how much the taxes are, look into having the car shipped to you instead of picking it up. Do NOT receive it before shipping it, I think.

I was looking into buying cars cross-country. Arizona seems to be a great place to pick up machs cheap for some reason. I was also looking at California and other places. If they ship the car to you, yeah, shipping is expensive (but not bad if you're only doing a few states away), but you don't have to pay taxes usually. At least for all the states with cars I was looking at. The dealership *should* know. If not, google it on the web. Most states have the info on their websites somewhere now.

I know MA doesn't charge NH residents when we buy cars down there. They did it to level the playing field with NH dealerships. Just did it for cars.

WeezieMarion
05-10-2007, 05:45 PM
Hey...we did this about two years ago. Bought a CO '04 mach 1 with 10,500 miles on it out of OH.

The NY emissions laws applies to cars with less than 6k miles on them. This is to prevent people from going to bordering state to buy a new car without the tougher emissions laws. Also, we didn't pay taxes in both states. You have to go to the MI DMV and get a temporary tag for transport back to NY. Once you get to NY, you pay the taxes and get your permanent tag. It wasn't too complicated once you know what to do. If you are planning on buying from a private party, just have them tell you where their closest dmv is and that you will need them to go with you there to get the temporary tag, since you cannot drive it there without a tag on it. Our seller was wonderful and more than happy to help us out. Any decent person should be.

Good luck and hope you get the Mach.