PDA

View Full Version : full exhaust/ warranty issues

Joe91898
08-26-2003, 03:38 PM
Anyone know if headers, cat'd X void warranty?
I was just at a ford dealer setting up an appointment to have the tick checked out and asked if headers/ x pipe would void the warranty. Ofcourse the guy said yes it would void the engine drivetrain warranty.
I have not put my headers and x on yet so it's not an imidiate problem, except looking at the box's everyday:)

sutyak
08-26-2003, 04:55 PM
My father n law, also my salesman, whom I'm certain would not lie to me says that if you change the back pressure then you'll void the warranty of parts associated. So mufflers probably not, but headers will definitely void the warranty. I'm not certain of *which* parts will be affected though. Hopefully somebody else knows.

Mark

Joe91898
08-26-2003, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by sporadic
My father n law, also my salesman, whom I'm certain would not lie to me says that if you change the back pressure then you'll void the warranty of parts associated. So mufflers probably not, but headers will definitely void the warranty. I'm not certain of *which* parts will be affected though. Hopefully somebody else knows.

Mark

Well I think I'll be waiting a bit to put the headers and X-pipe on. Cant see voiding out a warranty on a new car for headers and an x. Guess they will sit in my basement for a while.
Thanks

The Mach Says
08-27-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Joe91898
Well I think I'll be waiting a bit to put the headers and X-pipe on. Cant see voiding out a warranty on a new car for headers and an x. Guess they will sit in my basement for a while.
Thanks

He's not saying your ENTIRE warranty gets voided..............just anything that has to do specifically with your upgrade....In other words, if you go in because a shock mount detached itself from your engine compartment and shot thru your hood (yes I know this is extreme), you can still take it in under warranty, despite having headers and/or a full exhaust.

Or vice versa.................say you lower your car, or change your shocks, and you go in because your block is now ventilated from a broken rod (yes, once again extreme). Your warranty work WILL NOT be denied, because the aftermarket upgrades are not related to the warranty issue.

JC

Shaker Dan
08-27-2003, 10:07 AM
While it would not void all your warranty it would void the engine warranty. That is why I am only doing the cat-back system for now. No chance of them saying a word. At least they didn't on my truck.

Joe91898
08-27-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Shaker Dan
While it would not void all your warranty it would void the engine warranty. That is why I am only doing the cat-back system for now. No chance of them saying a word. At least they didn't on my truck.

Dan,
I'm not putting the headers and cat'd X on until I get the engine ticking checked and or atleast until next summer. They will just have to gather some dust in my basement for now. No biggy. I may never put them on:) Still cant believe I spent over a grand on an X pipe and headers:??:
I'm pretty happy with the Magnaflow cat back for now.

Brew
08-27-2003, 09:06 PM
Does anyone think it is a problem with just the X and catback??

Joe91898
08-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Brew
Does anyone think it is a problem with just the X and catback??

Brew the servive manager told me anything that replaces the stock Cat's that reduses back pressure will void engine warranties.
I'm waiting to install the headers/x-pipe

NateB
11-21-2003, 11:14 PM
Believe if you have a Ford dealership install Ford Racing performance parts- including headers and exhaust, your Warranty will be OK.

You will pay the premium going this route but you'll avoid warranty issues down the road.

Joe91898
11-22-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by NateB
Believe if you have a Ford dealership install Ford Racing performance parts- including headers and exhaust, your Warranty will be OK.

You will pay the premium going this route but you'll avoid warranty issues down the road.

Nate,
I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm also worried about not passing emissions. Probably should have thought of these things before I went and bought the stuff

Joe91898
11-22-2003, 09:48 AM

Nate,
I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm also worried about not passing emissions. Probably should have thought of these things before I went and bought the stuff

j2003mach1
11-22-2003, 11:33 AM
B.S.

sorry guys not true. Here is the way it reads.

"if the aftermarket part you install causes the factory part to break or causes damage it will not be a warranty claim"So by calling ford directly i have come to this conclusion.The x pipe does cause less backpressure and so does the mufflers.This will not cause the engine to throw a rod.So the motor warranty is still valid.My friend has taken his cobra into warranty three times with a x pipe ont he car for ticking and they fixed the motor.Now if your o2 sensors get too dirty caused by a rich condition of no cats then yes ford will say "we cannot cover that" but as far as the motor ticking ... they need to read the sema guidlines for warranty claims.

Joe91898
11-22-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by j2003mach1
B.S.

sorry guys not true. Here is the way it reads.

"if the aftermarket part you install causes the factory part to break or causes damage it will not be a warranty claim"So by calling ford directly i have come to this conclusion.The x pipe does cause less backpressure and so does the mufflers.This will not cause the engine to throw a rod.So the motor warranty is still valid.My friend has taken his cobra into warranty three times with a x pipe ont he car for ticking and they fixed the motor.Now if your o2 sensors get too dirty caused by a rich condition of no cats then yes ford will say "we cannot cover that" but as far as the motor ticking ... they need to read the sema guidlines for warranty claims.

I 'm going to ask the dealer that just had my car as they are not the dealer that gave me the line on the cat'd X-pipe voiding the engine warranty. They were really less than helpfull

gbranton
11-22-2003, 01:47 PM
Some service departments are more lenient than others. It is definately a discretionary area. If you have a good relationship with your dealer it's no problem and they will look the other way. Especially if you discuss it with them first.

If you don't and you have a problem and try to push the issue, then one phone call to the service rep and he restricts your warranty. Then you are facing an uphill battle to get the time of day from anyone at Ford, just like Donna on this site with her paint problem (what a load of crap).

I work at a dealership in the service department and I've seen it go both ways.

NateB
11-22-2003, 03:46 PM
Hmm- My understanding is that if you have a Ford Dealership that is an authorized Ford Racing Parts reseller and have them do the installation your warranty remains intact. At least insofar as minor upgrades like a cat-back system and possible the H-pipe set up.

Is this not the case? I know with Toyota's if you have the dealer install TRD performance parts the warranty remain in full force. This is the case even with supercharger installations by Toyota dealers using TRD components.

I certainly would not do anything without a firm commitment (in writing) that your warranty is OK.

Nate

Joe91898
11-22-2003, 07:47 PM
Hmm- My understanding is that if you have a Ford Dealership that is an authorized Ford Racing Parts reseller and have them do the installation your warranty remains intact. At least insofar as minor upgrades like a cat-back system and possible the H-pipe set up.
Is this not the case? .....
Nate

This might be the case if you are installing FRPP stuff. I have a set of Basssani midlength headers and a Cat'd X pipe. I will at some point say frig it and install the stuff. I just want to make sure about the tick thing not being serious. Another point is emissions. NY is as tough as CA. I can see having to get two more cats welded into the X-pipe to make it pass the emissions. At some point it just does not make sense to even touch it.

Berman
11-27-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Joe91898
This might be the case if you are installing FRPP stuff. I have a set of Basssani midlength headers and a Cat'd X pipe. I will at some point say frig it and install the stuff. I just want to make sure about the tick thing not being serious. Another point is emissions. NY is as tough as CA. I can see having to get two more cats welded into the X-pipe to make it pass the emissions. At some point it just does not make sense to even touch it.

They need to replace your cylinder head to fix the tick. However, you can prove that that happens to stock Machs all the time, so I doubt they will not fix tat with full exhaust on.

Ralph Greene
11-28-2003, 02:34 PM
I'm a good customer of the Ford dealership where my Mach was bought (Sun State Ford...Orlando). I buy cars from them every few years, and know most of the key service people on a first name basis. I've always felt they did their best to give me good service, and for the most part have been happy with that service. When I did have a question about a waranty coverage, I always asked in a respectful polite but business like way...one business man to another.

Since I didn't plan to mod this car nearly as much as my past 98 Cobra, but did plan to make some simple mods, I told the service manager this and asked how that would affect my warranty. He said as long as I was up front about mods and didn't try to lie about them, he would work with me the best he could. If my mods caused a problem, it would not be fair to ask Ford to pay, but otherwise he would keep an open mind. I think that is fair, and it probably helps that I'm an older guy who is accustomed to dealing with business situations, and I don't get excited or upset about them.

I thanked him for his attitude, and believe that is a fair position he is taking. But then...that's why I deal with them.

Numach14me
11-29-2003, 10:09 AM
Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting our office for assistance in a concern with your Ford Mustang. Ford warranty issues are solely handled by the Germany Ford organization in Cologne. A Technical Representative has inspected your vehicle and determined that some performance components had been fitted.
Apparently there is also a label applied in the engine compartment which indicates this modification. (AKA a sticker, fliping idiots)
According to the Ford warranty regulations the warranty will not cover damages caused by altering or modifying the vehicle or the use of non-Ford parts. ) The installation of a performance muffler is considered a modification to the vehicle and Ford had no choice but to deny coverage of the overheating condition of your engine. We may also point out that at no time did Ford approve the installation of this aftermarket muffler.
We are sorry that we cannot be of better assistance but the decision in this instance is with Ford Germany who has to follow company warranty regulations. We are forwarding a copy of this email to their information.
> >
> >Yours sincerely
> >
> >Horst Gutberlet

Joe91898
11-29-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Numach14me
Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting our office for assistance in a concern with your Ford Mustang. Ford warranty issues are solely handled by the Germany Ford organization in Cologne. A Technical Representative has inspected your vehicle and determined that some performance components had been fitted..............
> >
> >Horst Gutberlet

You are getting bent over and rammed on this. A cat back would have zero effect on the running temp of the motor. I've been following your post and I'm shocked they wont cover an over heating problem. Get that car back to the states and have it worked on.

j2003mach1
11-29-2003, 01:25 PM
call ford customer service now. insist on another opinion or arbitration. make them prove that overheatiing is caused by aftermarket muffler.