PDA

View Full Version : 17x9's vs 18x9's

rrhudy1
04-02-2007, 04:01 PM
Is there any advantage/disadvantages between running 17x9 & 18X9 wheels. I can't decide which size to go with. I know the 18's would have a smaller sidewall, but generally are more expensive. Is there anything else I need to consider? I am looking at either fr500 or bullits in black or chrome for my '04 SY.

rdewalt
04-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Like you stated 18” wheels are going to give you 1” less sidewall which will aid in cornering-road racing. Where as a 17” will have a bit more sidewall give or flex to help cushion the shock to the suspension/drive train when doing a whole shot for drag racing. Depends on the tire you choose and your driving style. I am a little old school not real big on the ultra low profile sidewalls. Good Luck with you choice. Rick

Furinox
04-02-2007, 06:34 PM
18s are heavier and make ur car slower, but look better

Fastbandit99
04-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Like you stated 18” wheels are going to give you 1” less sidewall which will aid in cornering-road racing. Where as a 17” will have a bit more sidewall give or flex to help cushion the shock to the suspension/drive train when doing a whole shot for drag racing. Depends on the tire you choose and your driving style. I am a little old school not real big on the ultra low profile sidewalls. Good Luck with you choice. Rick

A little more sidewall means less chance to bend a rim also.

Devery
04-03-2007, 03:13 AM
Would 18s give you a tad bit more ground clearance than 17s?

HPM/Hi-Fi
04-03-2007, 04:55 AM
18s are heavier and make ur car slower, but look better

not really. Some 18's are lighter than 17's. It all depends what rim.

Ralph Greene
04-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Most of us think 18's look better. But with our crude suspensions, more section height (assuming about 26" tire diameter of both) of 17" tire work better, tire selection is better, tire price is better, ride is better, forward traction is better, and about any other way you measure, 17" is better for our cars....for the way most use their cars.

Actually....For all around performance....it's tough to beat the stock wheel size with performance tires (VS all season stock tires). If you were to like the stock wheel look, just put your money into performance tires.

rrhudy1
04-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks Ralph, that exactly the answer I was looking for. The only reason I am looking into changing the wheels is because my wife drives it to work ocassionaly and their parking lot is very tight with lots of curbs. She already has curd rash on one wheel. I want to replace the one with rash (actually another one has a rock ding so I'll probably replace two) and put the factory wheels up so nothing happens to them. Maybe just use the stockers for shows and have another set to enjoy.

kmultiy
04-03-2007, 07:37 PM
I work for a tire manufacture and one thing you have to consider when you go with a bigger wheel and tire is you are going to lose breaking. You will prob be a little slower at the track with a bigger wheel. Smaller the wheel, faster it spins. You will gain handeling of course and like someone said, you will prob also loose some ride quality with a low pro. Heres also a hint for all you drag racers running on street tires. When your at the track and your sitting there doin your burnout trying to put some heat in the tire. It is actually making it worse for traction, just do a quick little spin just to clean off any rocks or dirt on them and avoid the water.