PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Dab On Lug Post

fsutton
04-01-2007, 04:38 PM
I was rotating my tires today and noticed that the tip of one of the lug post for each tire has a dab of yellow on it. What's the purpose for this, besides for me to ask a silly question?

fsutton
04-01-2007, 04:56 PM
go figure

3150Mach1
04-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Don't pay attention to that old fart. He probably OD on KFC.

Wondering the same thing. Saw it yesterday when putting on my street tires.

DTMach1
04-01-2007, 05:16 PM
when I had wheel locks I put the lock on that one...no real reason that I can see though. Maybe the factory used it as a starting point for the application of the lug nuts?

Awd This
04-01-2007, 06:35 PM
when I had wheel locks I put the lock on that one...no real reason that I can see though. Maybe the factory used it as a starting point for the application of the lug nuts?

:stupid: Mines purple and I for some reason always put my wheel lock on that one.

Macho 1
04-02-2007, 03:50 AM
Someone on here, and I can't find the post, said that you are supposed to put the locking lug nut on that stud, and align the valve stem and the brake rotor (if it has a mark on it) with that stud. Not sure why, apparently it has something to do with the alignment of the planets and the coming apocalypse. I figure, what can it hurt.

birdman941
04-02-2007, 06:46 AM
Someone on here, and I can't find the post, said that you are supposed to put the locking lug nut on that stud, and align the valve stem and the brake rotor (if it has a mark on it) with that stud. Not sure why, apparently it has something to do with the alignment of the planets and the coming apocalypse. I figure, what can it hurt.

Exactly correct.
It's for runout and balance.

DTMach1
04-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Exactly correct.
It's for runout and balance.

uh...if you tighten the lugs in the specified sequence you shouldn't have any run-out or balance issues. Placement of a certain lug shouldn't matter. Section 204-4-1,2 in the service manual makes no mention of a special location for any certain lug, just gives you a caution about tightening in a star pattern to prevent excessive runout, etc.

birdman941
04-02-2007, 05:57 PM
uh...if you tighten the lugs in the specified sequence you shouldn't have any run-out or balance issues. Placement of a certain lug shouldn't matter. Section 204-4-1,2 in the service manual makes no mention of a special location for any certain lug, just gives you a caution about tightening in a star pattern to prevent excessive runout, etc.

Why must you always debate things you know absolutely nothing about?
If you DO NOT KNOW, don't comment.
I worked in the Dearborn tire lab.
Did you?
That IS what the yellow dab is for.
Period.
What I posted stands.

MyLittlePony
04-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Why do you always come off as Mr. Superior and you are always right?

Who cares where you work when your being a jerk!

You would be pretty cool if you didn't act like a know it all.

Did you?
Period.
What I posted stands.

DTMach1
04-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Did you?
Period.
What I posted stands.

Service manual says nothing about it...owners manual says nothing about it. Don't you think if it was something that would affect brake wear or NVH the information would be readily available?

Lets look at this logically. By some strange occurrence you hit a curb hard enough to require a rear axle replacement, your new axle doesn't come with a dab of paint on any certain stud. Now what?

Or you switch to different lug nuts...now what?

See what I'm getting at? If it was something as important as to prevent unnecessary brake run out don't you think the information would be available?

All Ford says is to tighten in a star pattern, makes no mention of special placement for a certain lug. Besides, not all mustangs came with locking wheel lugs, yet the dot is still there on those cars, whats the deal?

The debate is a moot point at best, but acknowledging someone's Internet lore is just as bad as making it up yourself.

You can attempt to talk down to me all you wish but it will get you nowhere. Logic dictates that any explanation about a placement of a certain lug nut which is of the exact same type as the others being used is pointless. I could understand if the stud was different or the threading was different, or the torque required was different, but all things being the same, the argument of placing your locking lug on a certain stud for prevention of unnecessary run-out makes no sense.

MyLittlePony
04-02-2007, 06:14 PM
Service manual says nothing about it...owners manual says nothing about it. Don't you think if it was something that would affect brake wear or NVH the information would be readily available?

Lets look at this logically. By some strange occurrence you hit a curb hard enough to require a rear axle replacement, your new axle doesn't come with a dab of paint on any certain stud. Now what?

Or you switch to different lug nuts...now what?

See what I'm getting at? If it was something as important as to prevent unnecessary brake run out don't you think the information would be available?

All Ford says is to tighten in a star pattern, makes no mention of special placement for a certain lug. Besides, not all mustangs came with locking wheel lugs, yet the dot is still there on those cars, whats the deal?

The debate is a moot point at best, but acknowledging someone's Internet lore is just as bad as making it up yourself.

You can attempt to talk down to me all you wish but it will get you nowhere. Logic dictates that any explanation about a placement of a certain lug nut which is of the exact same type as the others being used is pointless. I could understand if the stud was different or the threading was different, or the torque required was different, but all things being the same, the argument of placing your locking lug on a certain stud for prevention of unnecessary run-out makes no sense.

Sounds like he's speaking engineer. Very logical. ( I was thinking of spock the whole time)

birdman941
04-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Blah blah blah.
BTW: I am also FORD Certified in NVH.
The yellow dab on the front stud is to align the mark on the rotor.
Also, it is where the locking lug is supposed to go if the vehicle is so equipped.
That stud is also supposed to be lined up with the valve stem.
On vehicles where the valve stem does not line up,
you are supposed to go one mark clockwise.(between the 2 studs)
If you went to Ford NVH school, you would know that.
If you actually read TSB's (or actually WROTE some, which I have written numerous)
you would actually know this information,
instead of some watered guesswork posted above.
Any TECHNICIAN worth his salt knows not everything is in the shop manual.
Trust me guys, that IS what the mark is for.

DTMach1
04-02-2007, 06:38 PM
Blah blah blah.
BTW: I am also FORD Certified in NVH.
The yellow dab on the front stud is to align the mark on the rotor.
Also, it is where the locking lug is supposed to go if the vehicle is so equipped.
That stud is also supposed to be lined up with the valve stem.
On vehicles where the valve stem does not line up,
you are supposed to go one mark clockwise.(between the 2 studs)
If you went to Ford NVH school, you would know that.
If you actually read TSB's (or actually WROTE some, which I have written numerous)
you would actually know this information,
instead of some watered guesswork posted above.
Any TECHNICIAN worth his salt knows not everything is in the shop manual.
Trust me guys, that IS what the mark is for.

Assuming your wheel hub isn't out of round, brake rotor, and wheel are all properly aligned and balanced, placement of the wheel a certain way on the studs should not matter, that's what the torque pattern is for...

Perhaps at the factory, but certainly not 50,000 miles down the road after you've already had your wheels balanced 5 times, your rotors turned(or replaced), etc.

I'm not completely disagreeing with you, but I see flaws in the above statement as the car gets older.

BTW I don't need a certificate to understand how mechanical things operate, but thanks for giving me information on yours:MADNOEL:

birdman941
04-02-2007, 06:45 PM
I was rotating my tires today and noticed that the tip of one of the lug post for each tire has a dab of yellow on it. What's the purpose for this.................................

Question correctly answered above. (by me)

DTMach1
04-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Allow me to put this another way...

Your wheel/tire combo gets put on a machine that rotates it at so many RPM; weights are added accordingly so that the wheel spins true with no vibrations or "wobbles".

Your rotor if MFG'd properly is a perfectly balanced hunk of steel.

Assuming there is nothing wrong with your wheel hub assy; When you combine two perfectly balanced pieces of rotating mass the only thing that will throw them off(in our case) is the relation by which they are attached. In the case of our wheels/rotors, we're talking about torque pattern. It should not matter where the rotor is aligned with the wheel(or which lug goes where) as both pieces are already balanced. The only thing that will throw the two off causing NVH, etc. is if one is improperly attached to other (IE incorrect torque pattern of the lug nuts). The location of the studs in regards to the wheel itself makes no difference as you're not compensating for an imbalance.

As I said above, I can see where the factory would use these dots for alignment purposes and ease of installation, but I believe it stops at that.

DTMach1
04-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Question correctly answered above. (by me)

You left off: Period. :31:

Face it Birdman, you just enjoy arguing with me.:mrt:

DTMach1
04-02-2007, 06:59 PM
Sounds like he's speaking engineer. Very logical. ( I was thinking of spock the whole time)
LOL:LAUGH:

Believe me, if I'm wrong, I'll freely admit to it, I don't claim to know everything(life would be boring wouldn't it?)

To this point though, I've seen no logical answer to the yellow dab debate. Kind of like why there's no key hole on the passenger side door...probably has something to do with the relationship between Jupiter and Saturn in regard to that particular engineer's astrological sign at the exact moment when he said "you don't need that".

fsutton
04-02-2007, 07:04 PM
Guys, guys, guys..... The question was not meant to start a debate or flame war :frown: . I was just asking out of curiousity to capture a little nugget of obscure (to me at least) information.

Thanks for the replies.

DTMach1
04-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Guys, guys, guys..... The question was not meant to start a debate or flame war :frown: . I was just asking out of curiousity to capture a little nugget of obscure (to me at least) information.

Thanks for the replies.

No flame wars! No worries!

Nothing wrong with a little talk about a spot of paint!

Black Mach 1
04-11-2007, 05:41 PM
The mark is a reference used in the assembly process. It doesn't matter which stud you put which lug nut on.

It's only there for consistancy during the assembly process.

hawk
04-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I liked it so much, I put a dab of yellow paint on the end of all the rest of mine!

JDraper
04-11-2007, 07:28 PM
A little dab will do ya!!!!

Mach Jay
04-12-2007, 02:06 PM
Dang....you guys are killin me, now I gotta go home and pull all my tires off to see if mine are right!!!! Not to steal the thread......but i have noticed yellow dabs of paint on various parts of my engine compartment too!!! I'm pretty sure there is one on my Oil Fill Cap.....being a certified shade tree mechanic I declare this must mean Righty Tighty - Lefty Loosey!!!! :teeth:

bluoval
04-12-2007, 02:14 PM
Dang....you guys are killin me, now I gotta go home and pull all my tires off to see if mine are right!!!! Not to steal the thread......but i have noticed yellow dabs of paint on various parts of my engine compartment too!!! I'm pretty sure there is one on my Oil Fill Cap.....being a certified shade tree mechanic I declare this must mean Righty Tighty - Lefty Loosey!!!! :teeth:

:eek:

mach one NY
04-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Okay .. I Have 3 Black Dots Where The Struts Mount. What The Hell Does That Mean? At least I have all 4 grey valve stem covers ....(whew) HEY should I be starting a NEW thread for this ?
sincerely ,

Felix Ungar

bluoval
04-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Okay .. I Have 3 Black Dots Where The Struts Mount. What The Hell Does That Mean?

Retinal Macular Degeneration:wow:

G
04-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Okay .. I Have 3 Black Dots Where The Struts Mount. What The Hell Does That Mean? At least I have all 4 grey valve stem covers ....(whew) HEY should I be starting a NEW thread for this ?
sincerely ,

Felix Ungar

No

OsCaar Maadizen

G
04-12-2007, 02:35 PM
If I see any dots tomorrow, I'm calling in sick.

We have a new boss so I'll tell him I have anal glacoma!!!!! :eyebrows:

He'll say, what's that????

Then I can tell him that's when I can't see my azz coming in today. :yeh:

Devery
04-13-2007, 03:08 AM
Actually there's a little friggin gremlin running about at the Ford plants with white and yellow spray paint. His mission is to put indiscriminate marks everywhere just to annoy new owners who have spend days rubbing the crap off!

TheOneThatLasts
04-13-2007, 07:23 AM
Your all wrong! The yellow dot is from me! I worked the factory's as consumer confuser. My job was to put yellow dots on certain parts of the car. :) And what a success it was. :HOPPY: :HOPPY:

SparksMach1
04-17-2007, 01:42 PM
Your all wrong! The yellow dot is from me! I worked the factory's as consumer confuser. My job was to put yellow dots on certain parts of the car. :) And what a success it was. :HOPPY: :HOPPY:

thought i should bring this one back, i havent ever laughed this hard from a thread........ ill give this one a big bump so everyone can get a second laugh from it

YellowMenace
04-17-2007, 04:55 PM
What a bunch of goofs. Everyone knows that the yellow dot on the lug is because without yellow paint somewhere on your cars they would be slow.

After all YELLOW IS THE FASTEST.

dontmockthemach
04-17-2007, 06:43 PM
haha, thanks sparks...this was a good one