PDA

View Full Version : Axels & Center Pin?

goebbelj@hotmai
03-12-2007, 12:04 PM
How much of a gap should there be between the end of axel and the center pin in the differential? I have a clunk, clunk, clunk sound when I make right hand turns and I'm trying to dianose the problem.

I have the diff cover off and there is no broken spider gears. What do you guys think it is?

I have a 31 spline trac lok, and 31 spline Ford Racing axels.

machery
03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Shouldn't be very much gap at all. Many questions.....When did it start and How long have the 31's been in? Bad axle tube bearing?(you would have up & dn aswell as side to side play at the wheel end). Is the brake caliper rubbing on one side of the hub end of the axle which could actually be a hard grinding/rubbing sound, sounding like a clunk. Do you have an aftermarket wheel that could be hitting the caliper when you turn? Check all of those factors. Also, is the rubber o ring on the end of the axle where the c-clip slides in?

goebbelj@hotmai
03-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Shouldn't be very much gap at all. Many questions.....When did it start and How long have the 31's been in? Bad axle tube bearing?(you would have up & dn aswell as side to side play at the wheel end). Is the brake caliper rubbing on one side of the hub end of the axle which could actually be a hard grinding/rubbing sound, sounding like a clunk. Do you have an aftermarket wheel that could be hitting the caliper when you turn? Check all of those factors. Also, is the rubber o ring on the end of the axle where the c-clip slides in?

Thanks, I think I figured it out. I'm not going to say what I did yet. I'll give my fix some time first.