PDA

View Full Version : test drove an 07 today

65fastback2+2
02-28-2007, 09:45 PM
no im not getting rid of the mach, i just had some time to waste and figured why not.

I actually test drove a GT/CS....and with there only being like $700 between stickers, i dunno why anyone would get a regular GT.

Inside was ok...it felt cheaper than the mach though...all the plastic felt cheaper. Center console was too high around the shifter. Back seat area was smaller. Car was ALOT slower than the mach...i dunno how people say barely. I could barely take my eyes off the shaker missing hood.

Ride was smoother and quieter. Regular fuel would be nice. Heated seats :D

Thats my quick review on the s197's.

24kmach
02-28-2007, 09:52 PM
no im not getting rid of the mach, i just had some time to waste and figured why not.

I actually test drove a GT/CS....and with there only being like $700 between stickers, i dunno why anyone would get a regular GT.

Inside was ok...it felt cheaper than the mach though...all the plastic felt cheaper. Center console was too high around the shifter. Back seat area was smaller. Car was ALOT slower than the mach...i dunno how people say barely. I could barely take my eyes off the shaker missing hood.

Right on the money:agree:

jbrad88
02-28-2007, 09:55 PM
I spent a little more seat time today in my friends 06 now that he has added the motorsport "K" springs. I have always liked the s197. It is a fun car to drive, but it is not the Mach. I will say it handles exceptionally well. It is not as fast as the Mach, but I have enough bolt-ons to make the stock difference that much more noticeable. I actually liked the ride of the mach better, and I like our cable activated clutch too. It is noticeably heavier than the new cars...

here is a link to the Corral where he has his car...

it is the wildfire 06 under sig JEFFO...

http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?p=6689928#post6689928

65fastback2+2
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM
I actually liked the ride of the mach better, and I like our cable activated clutch too. It is noticeably heavier than the new cars...

ya...i love the way the mach rides....i like to be able to feel the road in the rear to know where im at when im sliding around a turn lol....

i thought our clutches were hydraulic and the s197's were cable....either way, that was another thing, i could sneeze and the clutch would go down in the s197

Dfanucci
02-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Don't know where you got a 700 difference. Must be an option thing, because my GT stickered 3,500 less than the GT/CS and there is no way 2 tone leather, stripes and a functionless hood scoop justify that....:crazy:

jbrad88
02-28-2007, 10:04 PM
The mach uses the cable as all fox-based chassis cars do. The s197's use the hydraulic assist.

65fastback2+2
02-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Don't know where you got a 700 difference. Must be an option thing, because my GT stickered 3,500 less than the GT/CS and there is no way 2 tone leather, stripes and a functionless hood scoop justify that....:crazy:

$29950 for a GT and $30800 for a GT/CS. I liked the stripes...MUCH better wheels...the front facia was very nice along with the rear facia...there was no hood scoop tho, but it did have the side scoops....I thought it was worth $850

Dfanucci
02-28-2007, 10:13 PM
$29950 for a GT and $30800 for a GT/CS. I liked the stripes...MUCH better wheels...the front facia was very nice along with the rear facia...there was no hood scoop tho, but it did have the side scoops....I thought it was worth $850

Gotcha. :CHEERS:

Tony Alonso
02-28-2007, 10:16 PM

Because some people like the styling of one vs. the other. Mechanically, they are the same.

Inside was ok...it felt cheaper than the mach though...all the plastic felt cheaper.

Lots of plastic in both. They both are similar to me.

Center console was too high around the shifter.

Shifter falls right to hand!

Back seat area was smaller.

They have more room than the SN-95 cars. The front seats can go back farther, which is why it looks like there is less room. People who have sat in both have mentioned they fit better in the S197.

Car was ALOT slower than the mach...i dunno how people say barely.

The car needs to get some miles on it before it feels stronger, which is similar to what I experienced when the Mach was breaking in. Between 3000 and 5000 RPM, they feel close. After 5000 RPM, the Mach keeps going.

I could barely take my eyes off the shaker missing hood.

Yeah, there's nothing like that Mach shaker to liven up the front view.

Yes, yes, yes, yes

Thanks...they are nice cars. Like all performance Mustangs, they could use more power stock :) However, having 300hp on 87 octane is nice.

Berzerk
02-28-2007, 10:17 PM

Must have been a LOADED GT to have a sticker of $29,950.
And the GT/CS never did anything for me, but i do like the fascias.

65fastback2+2
02-28-2007, 10:19 PM
Well I had 3 people that normally ride in my mach with me and they stuff themselves in the s197 and they told me it was smaller in the back seat....I dont typically leave the driver seat :D

Azure Blurr
02-28-2007, 10:31 PM

:23:
I thought a couple of days ago you where getting rid of the Mach and some VW crap, Now you're test driving new ****! Kids and their .......... awww screw it, they don't listen!

Mark04Mach1
02-28-2007, 10:33 PM
yea they r cool, i test drove 2 of them at work

Tony Alonso
02-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Well I had 3 people that normally ride in my mach with me and they stuff themselves in the s197 and they told me it was smaller in the back seat....I dont typically leave the driver seat :D

Three is definitely pushing it in either car, but the back seats in the S197 are more scalloped and oriented for two people. There is less of division between the seats in the SN-95.

Leg room-wise, the S197 definitely has more for two people :)

65fastback2+2
02-28-2007, 11:01 PM
:23:
I thought a couple of days ago you where getting rid of the Mach and some VW crap, Now you're test driving new ****! Kids and their .......... awww screw it, they don't listen!

uh....original post said I just test drove it for fun...currently im working on getting rid of the VW crap and getting a 5 hour a week or so part-time job. So...apparantly...I did listen.

matab14
02-28-2007, 11:57 PM
There is a new 07 White GT/CS sittin at the dealer here in town and I must say its looks rather sharp. I like the fornt end on them alot more and they just have more of that......"what was that look" to them.....which is what I miss so much about the mach....

falcongtho3
03-01-2007, 07:27 AM
I really like the GT/CS. So few people even know what they are (kinda like the MAch was 4 years ago), that it really catches them off guard. In adiditon to the lower air dam, check out the rear skirt, very cool. The hood scoop is not standard, but part of the GT apperance package and available on non-GT/CS's as well. The Shelby side scoops are standard also. I also like the two tone interior, and the standard polished wheels are the same as the white Shlby GTs. Remember,the original GT/CS was a standard coupe (no conv. back then) with many Shelby parts to set it apart.

:borg:

TX MACH 1
03-01-2007, 08:56 AM
Well I had 3 people that normally ride in my mach with me and they stuff themselves in the s197 and they told me it was smaller in the back seat

dammit!
Thanks for the info. I'm currently looking into the s197's (since I no longer have the mach) and every little review helps :)

Tony Alonso
03-01-2007, 09:23 AM
dammit!
Thanks for the info. I'm currently looking into the s197's (since I no longer have the mach) and every little review helps :)

Just don't put 3 people in the back and you will be fine. That babyseat and one other rear seat passenger will fit!

XMACHX1
03-01-2007, 09:40 AM
dammit!

This little review my help out.
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54714

I've since put about 2800 miles on the '06 and I am still happy with my decision. I'm also loving the 5yr/60,000 mile warranty I got for free. I was really losing my confindence in the Mach as the warranty was nearing it's end. The Borla axle-back kit sounds great on the '06 as well.

Uloset
03-01-2007, 10:12 AM
I think the s197's are probably a better everyday drive little more comfortable take regular and still have some get up and go. If you want performance stick with the mach it will walk all over the s197's even in handling. The only thing that new gt's have over our car is they come with a 2 1/2 inch exhaust system. I only wish the mach's had come with that setup would have easily boosted the power up an other 15 hp. Truthfully as nice as the 3 valves are I often think if the 2 1/2 inch pipe was used on an all aluminum 2v with the heads reworked just a little and the compression bumped to 9.8:1 it could have easily made 290hp 315tq on regular. Plus it would be cheaper to produce and would have kept the weight down a little as well.

VoodooMACH
03-01-2007, 10:31 AM

...just when I thought all cheap plastics were the same... there comes... an even cheaper plastic.:eek:

TX MACH 1
03-01-2007, 03:08 PM
This little review my help out.
http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=54714

I've since put about 2800 miles on the '06 and I am still happy with my decision. I'm also loving the 5yr/60,000 mile warranty I got for free. I was really losing my confindence in the Mach as the warranty was nearing it's end. The Borla axle-back kit sounds great on the '06 as well.

TJ4Cam
03-01-2007, 03:08 PM
...just when I thought all cheap plastics were the same... there comes... an even cheaper plastic.:eek:

No, the cheapest and sh*ttiest plastic you will ever find in an automobile resides in the C4 Corvettes...absolutely awful. I had 3 of those rattle traps at diff times in my life.

TX MACH 1
03-01-2007, 03:10 PM
No, the cheapest and sh*ttiest plastic you will ever find in an automobile resides in the C4 Corvettes...absolutely awful. I had 3 of those rattle traps at diff times in my life.

I have to say the crap I have in the TBSS is pretty horrible...Don't touch it or it'll turn white.:12: Worst interior I've EVER had.

Firebreed05
03-01-2007, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=Uloset;754199]
the mach it will walk all over the s197's even in handling.
[QUOTE]
No one will doubt the Mach still has the performance advantage over the new GTs. But beware, make sure you have some suspension tweaks done to your car before u test out that little theory against a decent S197 driver. My SN95 was a slobbering jello mold compared to my 05 in the twisties. Heavier car or not........these new stangs are surprising alot of ppl who assume they handle like crap. I did that to a poor C4 vette owner on a local 2 lane backroad recently. ;)

65fastback2+2
03-02-2007, 12:08 AM
[QUOTE=Uloset;754199]
the mach it will walk all over the s197's even in handling.
[QUOTE]
No one will doubt the Mach still has the performance advantage over the new GTs. But beware, make sure you have some suspension tweaks done to your car before u test out that little theory against a decent S197 driver. My SN95 was a slobbering jello mold compared to my 05 in the twisties. Heavier car or not........these new stangs are surprising alot of ppl who assume they handle like crap. I did that to a poor C4 vette owner on a local 2 lane backroad recently. ;)

i agree with uloset in the fact that the mach has a better road feel to it....when I go through a turn, I can feel where my car is (in a good way) and I couldnt really feel how the rear of the 07 was acting.

Uloset
03-02-2007, 12:22 PM
I don't think they handle horribly they handle very well and I'm sure with the right suspension will easily out handle the last gens even the bullets (well maybe not a bullet upgraded to IRS but that’s apples and oranges). But stock for stock I think the edge goes to the Mach 1 I've heard this from a lot of people and even in mag test our cars beat the new GT's in every aspect of handling Slalom, Lateral G's breaking, etc, its not a blow out or anything but they do come out on top.

Berzerk
03-02-2007, 12:36 PM
I like both cars and try not to compare them too much... but thats just me.

Tony Alonso
03-02-2007, 10:40 PM
I think the s197's are probably a better everyday drive little more comfortable take regular and still have some get up and go.

Agree

If you want performance stick with the mach it will walk all over the s197's even in handling.

Don't agree - the center of gravity and front/rear weight distribution in the Mach and quad-shock rear suspension set-up causes some sway and moderate understeer at the limit. The GT has better weight balance and a little less understeer. The rear is more planted. The tires on the GT could stand a performance upgrade since they are all-seasons, whether 17" or 18". It's not a walk but comparable.

The only thing that new gt's have over our car is they come with a 2 1/2 inch exhaust system.

...and a better body structure, better fit and finish (although some things could be better), and more interior room, as well it should after getting a total redesign and moving to a more modern production facility.

I only wish the mach's had come with that setup would have easily boosted the power up an other 15 hp.

Agree - would have been nice, but thank goodness for the aftermarket.

Truthfully as nice as the 3 valves are I often think if the 2 1/2 inch pipe was used on an all aluminum 2v with the heads reworked just a little and the compression bumped to 9.8:1 it could have easily made 290hp 315tq on regular. Plus it would be cheaper to produce and would have kept the weight down a little as well.

Not sure about that. The 3-valve heads definitely flow better than the 2-valve and the variable cam timing helps out as well. The 3-valve head assemblies are smaller than the 2-valve set-up they replace.

Mach1 EH
03-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Tony, WTF??
Ok, I need to give you a pop in the noggen the next time we meet.

Wa happend? I love my Mach, don't you love your Mach any more?

Geeze dude you are bringing a tear to my eye.

Looking forward to us meeting sometime soon, we need to chat.:COOL:
1st couple will be on me.
Hey you going to Carlisle??

tom281
03-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Tony's just being honest......

As a former Mach owner, I know its hard for some of you to be objective LOL!

Uloset
03-03-2007, 01:50 AM
Don't agree - the center of gravity and front/rear weight distribution in the Mach and quad-shock rear suspension set-up causes some sway and moderate understeer at the limit. The GT has better weight balance and a little less understeer. The rear is more planted. The tires on the GT could stand a performance upgrade since they are all-seasons, whether 17" or 18". It's not a walk but comparable.

All right I agree that the new platform has the potential to handle much better and yes the mach 1 is up a model compared to the GT so its suspension is a little more performance minded. However, the Mach 1 did out perform the new GT in everything according to Road & Track's test (well the GT did get 1/2 better fuel economy). Yes the s197's do have better road manners which equates to them being more predictable during extreme driving but that doesn't directly translate to better handling either. But hey I still like them both and think they are great cars just seems like (stock) the mach 1 is the winner when it comes to performance.

Mach1 EH
03-03-2007, 09:34 AM
Tony's just being honest......

As a former Mach owner, I know its hard for some of you to be objective LOL!

Objective - schmobjective...
I was just pokin fun at the man.
I haven't seen Tony for a LONG time and I hope he knows I had no harmful intent with that post.

:D

I am happy you like your Mustang. If the Mach was not reintroduced I would have one of those Mustangs myself.
Not looking to be the best handling, best looking or fastest Mustang on the road though I do enjoy my blue oval production Mach 1 Mustang. :25:
Runs just fine thank you. Statistics from magazines do not fuel my fire.
For city, hwy driving, my Mach handles VERY nicely.

Great website too eh?

The_Wretched
03-03-2007, 11:13 AM
I test drove an 07 and I was and wasn't impressed. It is a lot smoother than the Mach. But to me that would change after a while. The Mach still drives as good today (12,000k) later as it did driving it off the lot with 27 miles on the odometer.

The GT's quality didn't sell me. I loved the shifter and the clutch... it's basically like a effortless Honda Clutch. I agree on the plastics and the seats. Although comfy, the Mach seats kick their @$$ anyday. In fact, the Mach seats are some of the best seats on the mft's market IMO.

The speed.... yes it's fast. But no where near the Mach. Ford fell short. They should've come out 325hp/350tq .... end of story. The Mach pulls much harder.

I was seriously entertaining it, but in the long run i had different plans that the GT could not fit. That's why I picked up the GTO.

But yeah, if it was between the Mach and GT.... the Mach all the way.

mmustangsrus
03-03-2007, 11:39 AM
i like them but I DONT LIKE THE HANDBRAKE WHERE ITS AT :angry:

Tony Alonso
03-03-2007, 02:34 PM
All right I agree that the new platform has the potential to handle much better and yes the mach 1 is up a model compared to the GT so its suspension is a little more performance minded.

Yup

However, the Mach 1 did out perform the new GT in everything according to Road & Track's test (well the GT did get 1/2 better fuel economy).

I would definitely expect it, with no modifications to either car.

Yes the s197's do have better road manners which equates to them being more predictable during extreme driving but that doesn't directly translate to better handling either.

At the limit, predictability is key to faster times through a corner (this is what I would call "good handling"). Of course, tire grip plays a role, as does front/rear weight balance, the center of gravity, braking power, and suspension geometry.

The rear is tied down better in the S197 than the SN-95. The stock GT tires, in combination with the spring/shock and bushing settings, cause the car to feel a little jiggly. The compound and tire width might limit the lateral G measurement as compared to the Mach, but they are going to be within .01-.2 Gs of one another.

The Mach has pretty good for stock brakes, the S197 GT a bit less (slightly smaller rotor).

But hey I still like them both and think they are great cars just seems like (stock) the mach 1 is the winner when it comes to performance.

I like them both. The Mach has an edge in the engine department, but these cars in stock form, are closer than not.

I plan on keeping the Mach for a long time, as I think it is one of the best SN-95 Mustangs. In the meantime, the S197 GT, which is serving as my daily driver, puts a smile on my face. I wish it had a stock shaker scoop though!

Tony Alonso
03-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Objective - schmobjective...
I was just pokin fun at the man.
I haven't seen Tony for a LONG time and I hope he knows I had no harmful intent with that post.

:D

Of course, dude! How are ya?

I am happy you like your Mustang. If the Mach was not reintroduced I would have one of those Mustangs myself.

I expect you would, since you are a multiple Mustang owner!

Not looking to be the best handling, best looking or fastest Mustang on the road though I do enjoy my blue oval production Mach 1 Mustang. :25:
Runs just fine thank you. Statistics from magazines do not fuel my fire.
For city, hwy driving, my Mach handles VERY nicely.

Great website too eh?

Yes, the Mach brings great enjoyment. Indeed, on the autocross course, there are much better handling machines, but for what it is, it does nicely. It's only when you start watching all those highly-prepped or more expensive autos do you get the hankerin' for more.

Yeah, nice site!

Tony Alonso
03-03-2007, 02:46 PM
I test drove an 07 and I was and wasn't impressed. It is a lot smoother than the Mach. But to me that would change after a while. The Mach still drives as good today (12,000k) later as it did driving it off the lot with 27 miles on the odometer.

I've got 9800 miles on the GT. The exhaust tone got louder, and the car is motoring along fairly well. The engine pulls stronger between 3000 and 5000 RPM than it did within the first several hundred miles.

The GT's quality didn't sell me. I loved the shifter and the clutch... it's basically like a effortless Honda Clutch. I agree on the plastics and the seats. Although comfy, the Mach seats kick their @$$ anyday. In fact, the Mach seats are some of the best seats on the mft's market IMO.

The plastics in both cars could have been nicer. The Mach's seats are bolstered better than the GT. The leg room is better in the GT, which helps me feel like both have "comfort".

The speed.... yes it's fast. But no where near the Mach.

From 0-60, they are more near than far. The Mach has an edge because of the extra 800 RPM you get and the great cam for the intake valves - great engine! Up in the 1/4 mile, the Mach will pull away be a few MPH and about 0.4-0.6 sec (depending on the many variables that affect 1/4 mile times).

Ford fell short. They should've come out 325hp/350tq .... end of story. The Mach pulls much harder.

For a stock car that runs on 87 octane, they did great. I agree they could use more power, but for an "entry level" V8 Mustang, Ford did good, in my opinion.

I was seriously entertaining it, but in the long run i had different plans that the GT could not fit. That's why I picked up the GTO.

I like what GM did with the GTO for the past 2 model years with the engine and styling.

But yeah, if it was between the Mach and GT.... the Mach all the way.

Yep - I could not part with the Mach to get a new GT. I tried and it was agonizing.

Fastbandit99
03-03-2007, 02:54 PM
Must have been a LOADED GT to have a sticker of $29,950.
And the GT/CS never did anything for me, but i do like the fascias.

The dealers here are selling them in the low to mid 20's now.

Firebreed05
03-03-2007, 09:58 PM
The speed.... yes it's fast. But no where near the Mach. Ford fell short. They should've come out 325hp/350tq .... end of story. The Mach pulls much harder.

That's about what Ford would be getting out of them if they came tuned to their potential from the factory. But Ford apparently got the idea that maybe they'd sell more S197's if they tuned them to run 300hp on 87 oct instead of 325hp on 93 oct. Maybe they were right........maybe not. Either way, a few bucks spent on a tune gets you the extra 20-30hp on an S197 GT that it SHOULD have off the lot. Wouldn't it be nice if Ford actually made something like that an option? ;)

As far as handling, well, I'll just say it like this.......... having been behind the wheel of both cars I'll just say that I "prefer" the handling on the new cars. Alot of ppl prefer the road feel that the Mach's/SN95's have......but for me that road "feel" just translates into rolling, squishin, and slidin. My 05 just fires wherever I point the front wheels.......quick, direct, and no hesitation. The Mach's do feel lighter on their feet (which makes sense since they do weigh about 100lbs less) , but I often felt on the verge of spinout when puttin my cousins Mach around turns at decent speeds. The 05 just stayed planted. Just my own experience and preference I guess.