PDA

View Full Version : OT: Power outage

Mikestang
08-14-2003, 09:26 PM
I cant belive I got power.....

I can fix all this all i need to do is use the back wheels of my mach 1 attached to a generator and I can light up the east coast that baby has power to spare

03mach1
08-14-2003, 09:33 PM
No kidding!!! We back online! Luckily the Website is down in VA, I was starting to have Forums withdrawls...

It was weird, I was coming home waiting at stop light, and it went from RED to Blank...everyone just sat there? Then when I got home, everything was out! Didn't realize the entire Northeast was out!!! WOW!

We sat outside and ate ice cream that was melting..>!! Took the mach for a cruise!!! ah...life is good.

jbrad88
08-14-2003, 09:35 PM
Please tell me that was not a CON-ED thing. Kind of surreal though. That is a lot of area to be effected. Glad to see you all are back up and running.

Mikestang
08-14-2003, 09:36 PM
Dave

I just sent you a pm

I was sitting in the Mach after work all of the sudden no tune's then no lights I am like time to get the mach off the road too many crazy drivers

LOL At first when i lost all the radio stations went off i thought my stereo went to lunch

03mach1
08-14-2003, 09:47 PM
Some major feed out of OTTAWA, Canada on the NIagra Mohawk grid into N, then CON-ED (NYC) tried to help and burned somethign out and went off line, then other power companies tried and tripped offline, just a cascade effect!!!

Phil
08-14-2003, 10:04 PM
It makes you realize what we take for granted.

FMX1
08-14-2003, 10:12 PM
I feel your pain. We went through this all summer long last year.
Never knew when we would drop off the power grid.

Tony Alonso
08-14-2003, 11:28 PM
For those thinking about the Woodward Dream Cruise, see this post (http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6098)!

Tony Alonso
08-15-2003, 06:32 AM
For those who were to meet me to get their parking passes, I have not left Cincinnati because of the power situation. I intend to come as soon as possible, assuming the situation improves. I can be contacted on mobile number 513-702-6803 if you need to speak to me.

Hopefully, we'll get some cruising in...good luck to those affected.

starscream
08-15-2003, 11:50 AM
I never lost power where I'm at in Buffalo. My power comes from the Niagara hydro plant that Canada blamed as being hit by lightning and that never actually went offline (not one cloud in the sky in the entire Niagara region yesterday... don't you think they would know that). Last I heard it was a downed line in northen Ohio that caused it.

codymach
08-15-2003, 11:54 AM
Makes me glad I got the generator.....

02mach1
08-15-2003, 11:57 AM
It was hot yesterday , what look's like too many people was using power, and got over loaded and power when down that part country;)

Walt
08-15-2003, 05:00 PM
Yea, it has been about 25 years since anyone really looked at the NE power grids (the last time there was a massive blackout).

The "fix" back then, was to improve the grid such that if they lost one major plant, other plants on the grid could quickly take up the slack.

Unfortunately, after 25 years, and with a "hot spell", there simply wasn't any of that "extra capacity" to take up the slack when they lost a major generation site. Then, within minutes, each of the remaining generation sites disconnected from the grid in order to prevent an excessive power draw and overload from their own generators.

That includes many, many nuclear plants.

The problem is, one just can't push the start button and bring a nuclear power plant back up to full power (remember, we still have the heat wave) instantly. It will take a day or two.