PDA

View Full Version : Court yesterday for my "Racing" TIcket

BigRed
08-13-2003, 12:49 PM
Well court didn't go so well. When I went in, they offered me 40 hours of comm. service, but I couldn't except that...mainly because I felt like I'd be excepting guilt for something I didn't do and secondly because I go back to school in a couple weeks and all of my free time goes to working and paying for my car and school. The lady was a real *****, and refused to work with me. I told I wouldn't be able to do the service until at least January so she just got all shitty and told me to that I'd have to appear before the judge..

When I appeared before the judge, what happened is exactly what I expected. The states attorney called my girlfriend a liar. The cop lied his *** off on the stand, and put words into my girlfriends mouth. When I cross examined him, he admitted he didn't see anything, he just heard engines reving. He also stated that when he saw us pass, the other car was at least twice as far down the road as me.

But the judgement came down to the judge believing the cop and the fact that he thought I shouldn't drive a "fast car" if I didn't want trouble. The judge actually sat there and said "I'm inclined to believe the police officer, if he saw a race, then he saw a race." Didn't the cop just testify, that he didn't see anything except more me turning around??

Anyway, the judge reduced my fine to $27 instead of $270, but kept the 5 points. I'm going to see a lawyer on the 22nd to discuss my options. I'm leaning towards appealing, but if I can get the points dropped with a reconsideration of judgement, I will. In closing, its pointless to even go to court and try to defend yourself. If the judge is only going to believe the cop, whats the point....???

Sorry about the rant..

Shaker Dan
08-13-2003, 01:09 PM
Sorry things did not go well for you. It is a shame if you were not racing to get a ticket for it.

BigRed
08-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Shaker Dan
Sorry things did not go well for you. It is a shame if you were not racing to get a ticket for it.

At least now I know what profiling feels like. If I'm guilty just because my car is capable, then I might as well do it for real...

Tomcat427
08-13-2003, 01:21 PM
My ticket violating the Dallas City Code " Anti noise violation" was basically the same result. It is at the officers discression. It didn't seem to matter that city vehicles were as loud and louder than mine. It was the fact that my car was louder than the other cars on the street around me. $135 was the final cost.:SMASH:

BigRed
08-13-2003, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I thought it was funny when he said he heard us at the light reving our engines.... I was never stopped, I had just downshifted into 1st while I was slowing at the light.

Thinking back on the whole trial thing, theres lots of questions I wished I had asked. Like how I was magically "racing to a high rate of speed" and coming to a complete stop and turning around all in the course of under 500 feet....but hey, what do I know...

I'm really leaning towards appealing...this time with a lawyer, and hopefully showing that the cop was making stuff up on the stand..

Shaker Dan
08-13-2003, 03:18 PM
"Only fools represent themselves in court" unknown author

Just a little saying that I live by now. When I got divorced my ex had a lawyer and I did not. Since we went through mediation and everything was pretty much done I thought it was no big deal. Wrong! So do yourself a favor, if the cop really is not telling the truth he has no real backup than I would have to say get the lawyer involved. Or write it off and be a good boy for a long time and don't change insurance.

GR8 WYT
08-13-2003, 04:19 PM
post pulled due to fear of big brother.....

2003_shaker
08-13-2003, 04:42 PM
Geez! What exhaust systems were you guys running that the cops took such a keen interest in them?

moodym
08-13-2003, 04:44 PM
This post makes my blood boil. I realize that most cops are honest people working a difficult job, but others are just jerks out to abuse their power.

I was on Interstate I-26 in 1998 coming back from the airport. I was happy to be home and was driving at the speed limit. Next thing I know a State Trooper pulls me over and writes me up for doing 75 in a 55 zone. He said he had clocked me a "few miles back" and it took that long to catch me.

I was perplexed as to why he even pulled me, but for him to write me up like that was Bull****. I was not speeding. Of course, no way that a cop can ever make a mistake, right??

The judge believed the cop hands down. So I never had a chance. The only thing I know for sure is that if a cop ever wants to write someone up for doing absolutely nothing, then they will get away with it and you will pay.

V/R, moodym:mad:

GR8 WYT
08-13-2003, 05:37 PM

jlamb
08-13-2003, 06:05 PM
If you guys want a decent reference to take your B.S. tickets to court check out Alex Carroll's book "Beat the Cops". I picked this book up a couple of years ago and it gives a lot of stragedies on how to fight tickets and win.

Here is link if you are interested in picking it up with some explainations about what is in the book.

http://www.themediasource.com/products/books/beat_the_cops.html

Later

Mach1driver
08-13-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by BigRed
At least now I know what profiling feels like.

Heh, if you want to see what real profiling feels like, come ride with me for a week. Since January I have been stopped 17 times (yes I'm keeping track). I guess a red Mach 1 with Disabled Vet plates stands out because 99% of the time after the stop it starts out the same. Is this your car? Are you the registered owner? etc. Out of 17 stops I've gotten 2 tickets and luckily won both in court.

L.B.
08-13-2003, 10:00 PM
When I appeared before the judge, what happened is exactly what I expected. The states attorney called my girlfriend a liar. The cop lied his *** off on the stand, and put words into my girlfriends mouth.

Originally posted by moodym
This post makes my blood boil.
V/R, moodym:mad:

This post makes my blood boil, too...but for different reasons...and if this forum is going to not only tolerate but encourage flaming of law enforcement officers than I don't want any part of it...

To BigRed and Forum Mods...If there is not a publicly posted apology and warning by mods please delete my account :mad:

BigRed
08-13-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by L.B.
This post makes my blood boil, too...but for different reasons...and if this forum is going to not only tolerate but encourage flaming of law enforcement officers than I don't want any part of it...

To BigRed and Forum Mods...If there is not a publicly posted apology and warning by mods please delete my account :mad:

Uhh, right Buddy..... I'm fairly certain that my comments were directed at one certain police officer, not to mention the fact that I'm currently attending the University of Maryland majoring in Crim. Justice to BECOME a police officer.
And If you don't want any part of it, then don't reply to this topic.

I'm sorry if you were offended and are overly sensitive to the public's perception of the law enforcement community. This certain police officer has gone beyond his duty and lied in a court of law. I have every right as a reasonable person to be upset, or would you like to talk to my girlfriend, the person he made up statement for in court?

I just don't understand why exactly you're so upset. Did you not read the entire thing? Or am I just in the wrong and every cop in the world states nothing but the truth and their word should be taken as the Gospel?

Mikestang
08-13-2003, 10:34 PM

So you dont belive in the 1st amendment ???

1 BULLITT
08-13-2003, 11:22 PM
... This certain police officer has gone beyond his duty and lied in a court of law...

If the story goes as you state, there is no need for any apology. It is possible to have an experience such as yours. I have, and a lot worst than yours. Only an idiot could think that it couldn't happen. No apologies offered. ;) By the same token, I have met a lot of professional and courteous police officers.

Tomcat427
08-13-2003, 11:31 PM
Geez! What exhaust systems were you guys running that the cops took such a keen interest in them?

Hooker Super Comp Long Tubes
Hooker Matching X-Pipe
MAC catback with 3 1/2 Chrome Tips

When I get on it, it is loud. (Sounds like a Nascar:D )

In my case I was in traffic, with lots of cars around me. Not a chance to get on it and I would not even think about it in that location.

I made myself feel better by telling myself that I probably should have gotten a ticket at some other time so I was due. The price we pay to play sometimes.

codymach
08-13-2003, 11:39 PM
Hey this post is causing too much conflict...maybe we should switch topics to something such as....ummmmm.........how about presidential politics?:D

Tomcat427
08-13-2003, 11:44 PM
Mach1driver,

Stopped 17 times. Wow, how do you get to where you are going?

My business partner bought one of the first S2000's in Dallas. The first week she had the car she was stopped 8 times and never received a ticket.

I have much respect for the people that work as peace officers. I would never be able to do that job. There are a lot of great people in the profession. But even they have bad days and will make decisions based on feelings rather than facts. Price for being humans I guess.

If I was a Judge I would stand behind the officers word as well. Can you blame them?

This thread doesn't need to get ulgy. I don't feel like it needs to be closed either. IMHO

jbrad88
08-14-2003, 12:33 AM
I guess to me it is a price we pay for having these cars.

I do not like it anymore than the next guy, and I have always tried to avoid situations that could get me into trouble in the first place. I did not get into trouble on the street because for the most part I stayed away from the street race crowd. In the summers I was usually coming back from the track on Friday nights late enough to avoid a lot of the problems, and Saturdays I would maybe cruise into a spot that was busy, but I stayed away from the street crowd.

I still got followed. I can remember one Saturday I was coming home from the grocery store (sad I know) @ 1100pm and a local sherriff got right on the coupe's rear bumper maybe 1/2 a car length, lit up my radar detector to the point I had to turn it off it was so loud, followed me for 5 miles like that. I got to my turning point and he just blew on by. The sad part was by the time I got to the house and was getting my groceries out of the car, two city cars pulled up to the culdesac where I was living, hit me with their spot lights for a minute, and then sped off. I knew they were looking for someone, probably in another red mustang who had either run from them earlier, or they had seen racing. Was it necessary? No. Did I understand it? yeah...I did not like it very much, but I understood.

It is hard, but remember everytime one of us does get caught racing, or speeding, it will have an effect on all of us. It goes back to the beginning of hot rodding.

BigRed
08-14-2003, 01:08 AM
yeah, the judge asked me why I was out at 11:30 on a Friday night. I kindly informed him that I was at my niece's dance recital and then took my fiance out to dinner...
But still, I drive a "fast" car so I should "expect" things like this to happen...uh duh whhhhaaat?

Yes, I'm 20. Yes, I drive a yellow Mustang. Yes, I'm paying for it myself. I just hate the fact that you can get in trouble because you drive a nice car. I guess I knew what I was getting into when i bought my baby....hopefully I'll be able to afford to keep it, and manage to stay "clean for 3 years until these points clear....

jbrad88
08-14-2003, 01:17 AM
BigRed.

I hear ya...

Sorry you had to go thru it at all.

I know how frustrating it can be...

JB

Starsky
08-14-2003, 07:31 AM
It's unfortunate that citizens sometimes get fined or charged for crimes they did not commit. On the other hand, I cannot count the number of times I have issued tickets for violations that I KNOW happened, only to have the person deny it happened, and is outraged I suggest the light was red.
I'm sitting near an intersection watching the light. Thats all I have to do, is watch the light turn, and see if the cars front bumper entered the interesection before it turned red. IF its close, I let him or her slide, if its blatant, I stop them and cite. In just about every case, the citizen complains I was wrong. Their on their cell phone, adjusting the radio, or chatting with mom, but I'm wrong and all I was doing was focusing on the light, and their car...
I can say with almost certainty, that I have not issued a ticket that wasnt deserved, due to the fact my policy is "tie goes to the citizen". Having said that..I know not all officers are as careful and some folks get caught in a snare meant for others. take from a guy who has been to court almost a hundred times, watched other court cases while waiting on mine, judges dont always side with the cops. In some cases it seems some judges go out of their way to find the defendant not guilty. However I agree that if its our word against the citizens, with all things being equal, they tend to error on our side. So many times its a "He said, She said" situation.

03mach1
08-14-2003, 08:11 AM
OKAY FOLKS, Let's not continue on this subject, before it gets more out of hand..

Let's not bash Younger Owners or Law Enforcement....I don't feel this is forum is for that....If you want to discuss, keep in it in Private Messages or Email.

If it continues, I will lock the forum.

Thanks! :)

hotrodnut
08-14-2003, 09:00 AM
Yes, I'm 20. Yes, I drive a yellow Mustang. Yes, I'm paying for it myself. I just hate the fact that you can get in trouble because you drive a nice car. I guess I knew what I was getting into when i bought my baby....hopefully I'll be able to afford to keep it, and manage to stay "clean for 3 years until these points clear....

Sorry for your predicament BigRed.

I have been into Hot Rods all my life and I was able to buy my 1st muscle car 2 weeks before I turned 18, lets see that was 36 years ago! :eek: Like you, I payed for it myself, insurance and all. Back then my insurace cost twice as much as my car per month! I had to work a job 80 hours a week to afford to have it.

I have had cars of such all along and can only say, I have been stopped more for something I didn't do than something I have done. I can't count through the years the amount of times, and I could spend hours on end telling of the stories that developed from it. As sad as it is, it does go with the territory.

Not all Police are the same of course, I have friends who are on the force and even as a youngster had friends there too. I was able to have these guys as my friends because certain ones knew for most part my hot rodding was done at the track. Some though, felt just because I drove a Hot Rod, I was guilty of whatever they wanted to put on me! :??:

My only advice is to go to the Lawyer as you planned and fight it. As you know it's not the cost of the ticket up front that hurts so much, but the results of those points you receive. Things of this sort will hurt your driving record and hinder your insurance costs for years to come.

Good luck!

moodym
08-14-2003, 09:38 AM
Just wanted to ring in and state that I had no intention in my reply to bash all police officers. We have a cop in our Mustang club and he is a really nice guy.

My particular experience was a one-time situation that has not happened again. And I have had a few tickets in my life that I did not even complain about because I was truely guilty.

But it just goes to show that there is injustice in the world, including with traffic tickets. I have just never been able to let go of the resentment that I still feel from that day in 1998 when I got a ticket for doing absoletely nothing.

Still, I realize that world could not exist without police officers.

V/R, moodym:THUMBSUP:

BigRed
08-14-2003, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by moodym
Just wanted to ring in and state that I had no intention in my reply to bash all police officers. We have a cop in our Mustang club and he is a really nice guy.

My particular experience was a one-time situation that has not happened again. And I have had a few tickets in my life that I did not even complain about because I was truely guilty.

But it just goes to show that there is injustice in the world, including with traffic tickets. I have just never been able to let go of the resentment that I still feel from that day in 1998 when I got a ticket for doing absoletely nothing.

Still, I realize that world could not exist without police officers.

V/R, moodym:THUMBSUP:

Agreed

Jim H.
08-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Starsky
It's unfortunate that citizens sometimes get fined or charged for crimes they did not commit. On the other hand, I cannot count the number of times I have issued tickets for violations that I KNOW happened, only to have the person deny it happened, and is outraged I suggest the light was red.
I'm sitting near an intersection watching the light. Thats all I have to do, is watch the light turn, and see if the cars front bumper entered the interesection before it turned red. IF its close, I let him or her slide, if its blatant, I stop them and cite. In just about every case, the citizen complains I was wrong. Their on their cell phone, adjusting the radio, or chatting with mom, but I'm wrong and all I was doing was focusing on the light, and their car...
I can say with almost certainty, that I have not issued a ticket that wasnt deserved, due to the fact my policy is "tie goes to the citizen". Having said that..I know not all officers are as careful and some folks get caught in a snare meant for others. take from a guy who has been to court almost a hundred times, watched other court cases while waiting on mine, judges dont always side with the cops. In some cases it seems some judges go out of their way to find the defendant not guilty. However I agree that if its our word against the citizens, with all things being equal, they tend to error on our side. So many times its a "He said, She said" situation.

Well said.

Shaker Dan
08-14-2003, 10:46 AM
Why do people feel this post is getting out of hand. I have not heard any real bashing. It is true, some cops are a pain in the _ _ _ and some drivers are even worse. The fact of the matter is that while most police officers are awesome, deserve to be paid triple what they get and deserve a lot more respect that what they get, there are the few that give it a bad name. Trust me I have worked around them and seen them in action. I have also seen drivers in action and some can be far worse than any cop can be . Get it through your head people: "I pay your salary" is not a good thing to say.

If you are truely in the right and were not racing, than keep going or right it off as a bad expierence. Either way feel free to tell us what is going on. If someone does not like it, too bad! If someone thinks that everyone is honest all the time, included police officers, they need to wake up and stop living in dreamland. The nicest cop that ever pulled me over gave me a ticket. I actually got out of his car after shaking his hand and telling him thank you. I was in the wrong why would I ever blame him. If I wasn't in the wrong I would still show him respect but would go to court. That is what people need to learn.

Just and FYI on my background, during the ages of 16-22 I devoted my life to being a Police Officer. I joined the military as a Security Police Officer. I rode with police officers. I was actually really close and made it to the final round when I was 23. I started thinking about it and decided it was not for me so I backed out. But I never lost the respect I have for them. However, I never kid myself into thinking all of them are perfect either.

2003_shaker
08-14-2003, 11:10 AM
I have been really fortunate. I've had five speeding tickets in 20 years of driving and I deserved every last one of them and a bunch of tickets I didn't get. Each of the officers (2 PA State Troopers, 1 OH State Trooper, 1 IL State Trooper, 1 local officer) were professional and courteous. I even asked the Ohio Trooper how he "got me" and he told me it was "an aircraft".

BigRed
08-14-2003, 11:13 AM
Believe me, If i felt I was actually guilty of something I would have gladly excepted 40 hrs of community service. It's going to cost me a lot of money to fight, and more than likely never have the situation resolved to my liking..

At the advice of one of my professors, a Captain for the Annapolis PD, don't plea to something you didn't do....it just doesn't make sense.

jbrad88
08-14-2003, 11:19 AM
Even those nights when I got followed home, or other instances, i was frustrated, but I understood. With as much street racing that was going on at the time, and the sheer number of 5.0's on the street, who can blame them? The car was loud, and agressive sounding. If it was a stock car, with stock mufflers, and no mods I probably would not have received the attention I got.

I chose to do the exhaust that I had (have). I understood that some officers may find that objectionable.

I am keenly aware of the problems on the street that the police are dealing with.
Once upon a time street racers would go somewhere else, an old abandoned road, or an old airstrip, etc., and were for the most part left alone because they were not placing anyone but themselves in danger. When the same activities take place in heavily travelled areas, the police are just trying to keep the average person who is minding their own business from getting hurt because someone decided to turn the street into a drag strip.

For those of you who did not hear about the KMart raid here in Houston last year, almost 300 people were arrested, cars impounded etc, because one officer took it upon himself to make a statement. It was a parking lot where a lot of the ricers went. There were people who were eating at the sonic restaurant that were arrested, even though they were not part of the crowd...

Was that abuse of power? Did that hurt the police department's image? What did it really accomplish in the fight against street racing?

tough questions, and one that Hot Rodders have been dealing with forever, and will always deal with.

My suggestion, keep it off the streets. Don't put yourself in the position where you are a target. And respect those who are out there trying to protect and serve. There will always be a bad apple out there, does not matter if they are a police officer, a priest, a firefighter, or even one of us...

BigRed
08-14-2003, 12:33 PM
The proliferation of news stories about street racing accident the past couple of weeks I'm sure didn't do much to help my cause. I told the judge my feelings on street racing and endangering innocent people. I also told him that it was Friday night and if I wanted to run, the track was open and I could have been there for $15.

I'm just a lil steamed by some of the comments made in court. I guess I'll just have to chalk it up to a learning experience and learn to deal with it if I wanna keep this great car...

okc-AZURE
08-14-2003, 11:13 PM

Having just read all of the posts except the post pulled due to fear of big brother..... by GR8 WYT... I didn't see any bashing of officers, particullary in a general sense. I am always glad to see law enforcement stick togther and protect each other.... But it's is wrong when the accused is quility. When officers stand behind the quilty then they are making the problem worse and giving the police a bad image. I do believe that the majority of cops are good and that there are only a few bad apples making it bad for everyone!! In this particular case, I have heard one side of the story and I not going to make any judgemnt as to if BigRed is quilty or not.

Shaker1
08-15-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Andy Burkholder
I have been really fortunate. I've had five speeding tickets in 20 years of driving and I deserved every last one of them and a bunch of tickets I didn't get. Each of the officers (2 PA State Troopers, 1 OH State Trooper, 1 IL State Trooper, 1 local officer) were professional and courteous. I even asked the Ohio Trooper how he "got me" and he told me it was "an aircraft".

I'll second that... I guess we are very lucky here in Illinois. I have been driving conspicuous vehicles for many years and have never been pulled over unless I deserved it. I expected to get a lot of attention with this Mach 1, but so far it has all been positive.

I have been given more than my share of "breaks" by law enforcement. I try and treat them as I would like to be treated and it has worked well for me.

The Judge
08-18-2003, 03:32 PM
:SMASH:WOW. I HAD TO GET INTO THIS ONE. I HAVE SAT ON THE BENCH FOR OVER 11 YEARS. IN THIS TIME I HAVE KNOWN OFFICERS THAT SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN ALLOWED TO WEAR A BADGE. THE BADGE MADE THEM GODS. I HAVE SEEN JUDGES WITH NO COMMON SENSE AT ALL, AND I HAVE SEEN DEFENDANTS WHO HAVE NO BUSINES BEHIND THE STEERING WHEEL OF A CAR. MANY TIMES THE DEFENDANT CITED COMES TO COURT WITH THE ATTITUDE THE "HE, SHE" IS ABOVE THE LAW AND SHOULD NEVER BE CITED. I BELIEVE THAT IF YOU DO IT, PAY FOR IT. I DO. WHEN I HAVE WORKED MY WAY INTO A CITATION I WILL NEVER TELL THE OFFICER I AM A JUDGE AND I WILL ALWAYS MAIL MY MONEY IN. THERE IS NO WAY THAT I WANT TO STAND BEFORE ANOTHER JUDGE AND BE TOLD THAT I SHOULD KNOW BETTER.
ON THE BENCH, I PLAY BASEBALL RULES. THE TIE GOES TO THE RUNNER; THE DEFENDANT. :ANGEL: HOWVER THERE ARE SOME REALLY FANTASTIC PEOPLE OUT THERE ON ALL SIDES AND USUALLY I AM THE GUY IN THE MIDDLE.

one mach 1
08-18-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by The Judge
:SMASH:WOW. I HAD TO GET INTO THIS ONE. I HAVE SAT ON THE BENCH FOR OVER 11 YEARS. IN THIS TIME I HAVE KNOWN OFFICERS THAT SHOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN ALLOWED TO WEAR A BADGE. THE BADGE MADE THEM GODS. I HAVE SEEN JUDGES WITH NO COMMON SENSE AT ALL, AND I HAVE SEEN DEFENDANTS WHO HAVE NO BUSINES BEHIND THE STEERING WHEEL OF A CAR. MANY TIMES THE DEFENDANT CITED COMES TO COURT WITH THE ATTITUDE THE "HE, SHE" IS ABOVE THE LAW AND SHOULD NEVER BE CITED. I BELIEVE THAT IF YOU DO IT, PAY FOR IT. I DO. WHEN I HAVE WORKED MY WAY INTO A CITATION I WILL NEVER TELL THE OFFICER I AM A JUDGE AND I WILL ALWAYS MAIL MY MONEY IN. THERE IS NO WAY THAT I WANT TO STAND BEFORE ANOTHER JUDGE AND BE TOLD THAT I SHOULD KNOW BETTER.
ON THE BENCH, I PLAY BASEBALL RULES. THE TIE GOES TO THE RUNNER; THE DEFENDANT. :ANGEL: HOWVER THERE ARE SOME REALLY FANTASTIC PEOPLE OUT THERE ON ALL SIDES AND USUALLY I AM THE GUY IN THE MIDDLE. Nicely put Judge!:THUMBSUP:

03AV8R
08-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Wow Judge, Awesome :THUMBSUP: I was in court for the first time in 20 years a few mos. ago.. What an eye opener! It was for a little Violation of Restraining order thingy between me & the misses.. Anywho, we were last to get "called up" as they say and i sat thru about 12 Traffic violations from the same nearby townspeople.. It appeared this 1 particular cop was quite busy the mos. prior & the judge mustve known he was a real harda$$ cause he really "questioned" everything the cop said and indeed sided with the defendants in the case.. Which i thought was a coolish thing to do! Anywho what kinda freaked me was the $$$ amounts these "kids" were getting slapped with?? Wow $450 for parking in a handi-cap zone that could barely be seen on the ground cause of all the oil stains? Reduced later in the proceedings after the girl started crying! True! i was there.. Others including her were making "payment options" to pay there fines! Clearly some of these people cannot afford these kinda $$$'s.. The Lady had 4 kids too she said, irrellivant i know.. but.. Another guy was their because instead of making $50 per mos payments for speeding he had only been making $25 payments as he had been laid-off during the payment time fram%?? i thought the Judge was gonna throw the book at him! This Judge i believe was upset because the guy was giving what he could ea. mos. so the judge had no choice but let him Live? I dont know but i just cant seem to understand how the STATE can treat its citizens in this way.. My Wife and i both felt bad about this? thinking some child probably isnt getting something they need tonite cause mommy accidently parked in a handi cap zone for 2 minutes.. :!!: We are not serious wealthy but im not young, poor and Stupid either so maybe i am lookin at this all wrong, i dunno.. I woulda paid the $450 or whatever amount and thought nottin of it (and learned nottin from it as $450 just wouldnt of hurt me in any way).. However at the same time i think $450 can really (literally) screw up some peoples lives! Me & the Misses decided mutually we could not sleep well at nite having to slap this on someone who clearly, clearly could not afford it, and the misses is a real hardliner Republican A$$ for the most part too! Whats wrong with a flat rate fine $100?? Bottom Line in the saying: "Do the crime and pay the Time/Fine" should probably be revisited. :(

Ford-O-Matic
08-19-2003, 12:28 AM
Be grateful. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket
since 9/6/66. I've gotten parking tickets, running
red lights/stop signs and a ticket for passing a funeral!
But No Speeding ticket! The pressure of not
getting a speeding ticket is starting to wear
on me....the suspense of where or when
this long chain may be broken is driving
me up a wall. What can a guy do?
JUMP ON IT! Gotta Love It!

2003 Mach 1 Azure Blue (Ford-O-Matic)
No I/UP but I got Wal-Mart floor mats
K&N Air Filter
Sunoco Gasoline

Shaker1
08-19-2003, 01:54 AM
I gotta agree $450 for parking in a handicap spot is a bit much, particularly to someone who cannot afford it. Around here some stores have 30 handicap spots that are never used, except for the guy with the handicap plates who manages to slide behind the wheel of a Porsche. If there's any real justice in the world the guy who issued that citation should stay inside during lightning storms!

On the other hand $450 is too little for tailgaters, who never get cited.

Starsky
08-19-2003, 02:29 AM
I've cited tailgaters, one of my pet peeves. IN each case it was dismissed by the judges because there was no accident. Here in Travis county they want an actual accident (prima facia evidence) before slappin someone with the charge.

I'm glad to hear the judge acknowledging that some Judges shouldn't be wearing robes. I know a couple personally. Same as I think some officers shouldnt be wearing badges. And I KNOW some citizens shouldnt be driving cars..

What I have told anyone who argued with me over a ticket is this.."I believe you commited the violation. However I am human and can be mistaken. I don't think I am mistaken in this case. But if YOU feel I am wrong, then by all means, take this to court where you can tell your side, I can tell my side, and we'll let a judge decide"..

I've been a Sergeant for about 4 yrs now. Its rare I write tickets anymore, but when I do, they are rock solid. I haven't lost one of those yet. I think this is due to the fact Sergeants so rarely write tickets, if I do, its gotta be pretty blatant, and the driver is usually a hazard to others. The judges know this.

As one poster said, if you are innocent, unless its just too huge an inconvenience to fight it, by all means fight it. Its a system designed to keep us honest, and have an impartial person hear both sides.

Midnight-Mach
08-19-2003, 02:47 AM
This post was started a while ago but I'll throw my worthless 2 cents in anyway. Never represent yourself if your young. You almost always take it bending over being a young person in a hot car. And did the cop have a camera in the dash of the car? If you were reving your engine and hauling *** it would be noticeable on the tape. It may help if he did because my freinds have caught some officers exagerating before and won when the tape was played. And trust me, they pick up sound real well.
Sorry about making this a long post but this is funny as hell. One friend kind of borrowed the others (he didn't know) fast 12 second eclipse to run a quick errand. He's goin through downtown and theres a guy in an expensive BMW (forget what model) next to him at the light and my friend honestly said and meant nice car to him without being a smart ***. The guy looks over and says, "I'll destroy you." Long story short my friend turned redneck and made the guy look stupid. BMW slows down and my freind keeps going and flys past a cop. A guy in a truck comes up as he is sittin there with the cop writing a ticket and tells the cop he was dragging the other car. Ticket issued for speeding and drag racing. He almost gets the drag ticket dropped until at the last minute the clerk or whoever they are says wait there's new evidence to be heard. The bring in a T.V. and play a tape of the cops dash unit. While the cops writing the ticket in the car, you hear my friend say loud and clear and half laughing, "well if I get a ticket at least I blew that guys F'n doors off ha ha." It was all over.

MachBlue32
08-19-2003, 03:35 AM
im never lucky when i get pulled over so far ive got 2 tickets in my mach bothe for speeding 1 i wasnt really speeding the other i was and was lucky to hit my brakes a little before he clocked me but he decided to pull me over instead of all the other 5 cars going as fast as me im sitting at 21 times pulled over in my mach about 14 of them for not having my plates on the front bumper

lope 2000
08-19-2003, 04:47 PM
The guy at the dealership told me that the front plate wasn't required in Texas anymore. Said he got a memo, was he lying because he didn't want to install my front plate.

Jesse
Fort Worth

Fought the front plate ticket and won, but I had to give up the bumper to a plate.

Plyprowler
08-19-2003, 05:54 PM
Midnight that was one funny story! Starsky hit it head on when he talked about writing fewer tickets and getting more guilty verdicts in front of the judge. However I must admit that I write basiclly no tickets anymore. I'm in my 10th year, 3rd as Sgt. and it isn't because I'm lazy. I made my bones running traffic and have had plenty of encounters out there, and I can honestly say I never wrote a ticket to an innocent person. I've had plenty of people found not guilty over the years and though some have pissed me off, it's all part of the game. In fact today most times if someone asks for a hearing I don't show up. To be quite honest, I stop alot of cars and almost everyone is getting a warning until I walk up to the window and they open their mouth. Just today I said to an arrogant *** "Dude, I'm trying to give you a warning here so just shut your mouth and keep it to yourself!" I don't mind tongue whipping someone and letting them go... it's just as effective as taking it from their wallet, and even though they may think you're an creep they aren't paying. As far as the bad apples go, there are plenty of us out there and always will be just as in every other profession. We should all be thankful it's not like the old days though, where blatant police corruption was common. It may still exist but not for long, those people just don't survive today. With all that in mind... I feel no guilt when I speed in my Mach, or mess around and blow some EVO's wing off on the local by-pass. And I am glad I have a little something in my wallet to help me out if I do get stopped:MADNOEL:
And I just wanted to add that none of the posts offended me as a Mach racer or street cop... Stay clear of the speed traps!

Pointcover
08-19-2003, 06:57 PM
Here's some advise from a veteran Police Officer, never go to court without a lawyer. Chalk it up as a learning experience and let it go. Life's too short. Good Luck:santagrin

Mach1driver
08-19-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Shaker1
except for the guy with the handicap plates who manages to slide behind the wheel of a Porsche.

Sorry I'm sure you meant nothing by this and I'm not trying to single you out but it's kind of a pet peeve of mine and I'd really like to know.

Why is it that anyone who puts handicap plates on something other than a van or some other type of "practical" car, is automatically assumed to be some how less disabled?

FL Mach 1
08-19-2003, 07:40 PM
I've got to agree with Mach1driver on this one since I have a handicapped permit. Wouldn't know it to look at me standing there but when I walk you can definitely tell.

I blew out my knee 7 months ago and walking long distances can be painful at times. I usually don't use it unless there are no close parking spots or my leg is hurting pretty good.

But to define disability by how nice a car you have isn't quite right. I drive the Mach occasionally now and drive my 93 GT all the time. I tell people that I have to look for something positive in my accident and getting to park a little closer is about the only thing I can think of.

BigRed
08-19-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Pointcover
Here's some advise from a veteran Police Officer, never go to court without a lawyer. Chalk it up as a learning experience and let it go. Life's too short. Good Luck:santagrin

I tired to get a lawyer...in fact he told me to go to court without him....said it wouldnt matter one way or the other....he said he was just "trying to save me some money," but he'll be going with me if I appeal. Might as well drag it out and see how many times I can get the story to change...

Shaker1
08-20-2003, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Mach1driver
Sorry I'm sure you meant nothing by this and I'm not trying to single you out but it's kind of a pet peeve of mine and I'd really like to know.

Why is it that anyone who puts handicap plates on something other than a van or some other type of "practical" car, is automatically assumed to be some how less disabled?

Yeah, that was probably insensitive. I was thinking anyone who can squeeze into a low slung type car, probably can walk the extra 20 ft. Still, I certainly would not argue the point. However, I have known a few people who took advantage of rather minor circumstances to leverage better parking. So, that comment was actually aimed at people who take advantage of the system and are not really in need of special treatment. But mostly it was meant in jest. Sorry if I offended you.

L.B.
08-30-2003, 09:20 PM
To Forum Moderators...this is my second request to delete my account. Thank you.

SHADOWMACH1
08-30-2003, 09:31 PM
i just wanted to be in this one--kinda feeling left out lol

awesome thread guys

BigRed
08-30-2003, 10:54 PM
To Forum Moderators...this is my second request to delete my account. Thank you.

Dude get trying to make drama...and just leave already....no one is holding a gun to your head forcing you to come here. Go away already.

Greggvh
08-30-2003, 11:35 PM
Ok just wanted to put my story in......

I drove down to Los Angeles Airport to pick my brother up. I was driving a new 96 black firebird and I was about 25. After I picked my brother up I was going down a street that came to a Y. I was in one of the lanes merging into a single street. As I came to the light I was going to flip a U and has I did the light turned yellow so I knew by the time I made the full U the traffic in my lanes would have a green and there was no one stopped at the light so the cars moving down the street were not slowing down. So I hit the gas. I was now going down the other part of the Y and because of this I did not know there was a light almost right as I made the turn. I think I was doing about 40-50 in a 35 and to top it off the light was red and I went right through it. As I did that my brother says there was a cop getting ready to turn as I went through the light. I thought he was joking but had it been a nother second I would have nailed the cop. Well he polls me over and I think I am screwed big time. I apoligize to him and tell him I did not see the light that I had been driving for 3 hours and did not know the area. But I did not deny doing it. He said well just slow down and try to pay attention.

I just wanted to put a story out there that not all cops are bad and this one could have gotten me good and was a nice guy about it.

BigRed
08-30-2003, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Greggvh

I just wanted to put a story out there that not all cops are bad and this one could have gotten me good and was a nice guy about it.

I agree...but there are bad apples in every profession...be it lawyers, cops, or Hooters girls...

kdo2milger
09-01-2003, 10:22 AM
:THUMBSUP: good luck BigRed, keep us posted on your outcome.
I've read every post in this thread, got some real good laughs and a little education to boot.
I've been overseas now for almost 8 years (military), and German law enforcement officials play a different game altogether. They set up cameras that snap a picture of the front of your vehicle, you get a ticket in the mail about a month or two later, you take it to the local bank or post office and pay it, no questions asked, real simple concept. And if you want to disput it you can, but they just show the picture and it will show who was driving the vehicle at the time, no disputing, or human error there...unless of course you were not driving the vehicle at all and it was your friend or whatever, then that person gets your ticket and points deduction.
So I have alot to look forward to next year, gotta get use to that "old fashion method" again;) I've never owned a HotRod, well there was that 71 Ford Ranchero w/ a 351 Windsor...Seen a lotta fast cars on the autobahn over here, even drove a few...But nothing and I mean nothing beats A good ole American Muscle Car:CHEERS:

Shaker Dan
09-02-2003, 12:21 PM
L.B. - Most of this thread has said very positive things about police officers. However, everyone must admit even police officers themselves that there are bad ones out there. No biggy in everyone else's books why your's? Just relax man, you are a big part of these Forums and I would hate to see you leave from what most of us think is overacting. So take a step back and really look at this thread. I think you are taking it a little too far. Good luck and I hope you come to your senses. You really have a lot to share.

okc-AZURE
09-03-2003, 10:42 PM
I agree...but there are bad apples in every profession...be it lawyers, cops, or Hooters girls... I have never seen a bad Hooters girl!!!!!

Shaker Dan
09-04-2003, 10:30 AM
"I have never seen a bad Hooters girl!!!!!" okc-AZURE

I have and it is not pretty. But those are very few and very far between.

Mach1 EH
09-04-2003, 01:05 PM
I agree...but there are bad apples in every profession...be it lawyers, cops, or Hooters girls...

*GASP*

say it ain't so?!!

Hooters girls gone bad??

:OFFTOPIC:

BigRed
09-04-2003, 01:33 PM
L.B., if you're still around....

I'm not trying to avoid you...we won't have net in our apartment until sometime Friday. The only access I have is in between classes.
Hopefully we can have our conversation sometime this weekend, or you email me at wwatters@wam.umd.edu

Jim H.
09-04-2003, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Toronto-Mach1
[B]*GASP*

say it ain't so?!!

Hooters girls gone bad??

Yeah come to Mesquite Tx. You'll think you walked into the local S.P.C.A. office.