PDA

View Full Version : Stainless vs Aluminized

Chaucer
08-02-2003, 12:25 PM
I'm looking at the complete Bassani exhaust systems and they have 2 options: Stainless Steel and Aluminized. What is the difference between the two other than than the significant price difference?

L.B.
08-02-2003, 12:31 PM
Quality and appearance...go stainless....

Chaucer
08-02-2003, 12:33 PM
what's the difference in quality and what is the difference in appearance?

Mustang Matt
08-02-2003, 01:32 PM
Aluminized can/will rust
Stainless will not rust and has a much more 'mirror' like finish.

Chaucer
08-02-2003, 06:19 PM
What does rust on Aluminum look like? Is it the same as steel? Also, there should be no performance difference between the two right?

Ralph Greene
08-02-2003, 06:27 PM
If you are considering aluminized Bassani to save money, just get Magnaflow stainless. IE...just get stainless.

Walt
08-03-2003, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Chaucer
What does rust on Aluminum look like? Is it the same as steel

It isn't aluminum, it is "aluminumized" steel. Yep, it looks just like plain ol' rust.

L.B.
08-03-2003, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Ralph Greene
If you are considering aluminized Bassani to save money, just get Magnaflow stainless. IE...just get stainless.
Well Ralph you old drag racer...it has only taken us 500 posts....but we finally agreed on something! :THUMBSUP:

351c.i.d
08-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Hey guys, can anyone tell me the difference in sound between the magnaflow and the bassani? I heard the sound clips of Joe's mach with the bassani x and catback and I have to say it sounded awesome. I've heard that the magnapacks are a bit louder and have some crack to them, which isn't what I'm looking for. So if anyone has any experience with the normal magnaflow catback and x, please let me know.
How does your system sound L.B?

L.B.
08-03-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by 351c.i.d
Hey guys, can anyone tell me the difference in sound between the magnaflow and the bassani? I heard the sound clips of Joe's mach with the bassani x and catback and I have to say it sounded awesome. I've heard that the magnapacks are a bit louder and have some crack to them, which isn't what I'm looking for. So if anyone has any experience with the normal magnaflow catback and x, please let me know.
How does your system sound L.B?

I couldn't be happier...everyone says my setup sounds closer to the new Borla Stinger than the Bassani or standard Maggies...

Nice rumble on startup...just a bit louder than stock at idle...when you throw a rev on it at idle, or make your way through the gears it sounds like a Ferrari screaming through town...WOT it is f-in' awesome... :worship: women and children run for cover...

Some drone in 5th at highway speeds but who cares...it's not an Escalade...

Listen to the Swede's "city" sound clip...prob the closest to my setup....

http://www.quadarena.com/mach1/citysound2.mov

Joe
08-06-2003, 12:23 PM
I'm telling ya, go for Bassani if you can. Maganflow is good and sounds cool, but side by side Bassani will usually get the thumbs up to Magnaflow. The magnapacks are for people who like LOUD. I 've head all of the systems mentioned and to each his own, but from a person who cares more about the sound then how the car looks.....Bassani has the most refined sound.....

Get 2 stangs with Bassani systems together cruising down the road and it sounds unbelievable..........

Joe

just my 2c.....

:THUMBSUP:

Swede
08-06-2003, 01:59 PM
there is one more thing about "exhaustsound",
without a chip you get one kind of sound and if you install a diablo chip you will get much more agressive sound (big difference) I have tryed without chip, with diablochip and now I got php chip (softer sound at low rpm but still agressive at high rpm)

tom

starscream
08-06-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Chaucer
What does rust on Aluminum look like? Is it the same as steel? Also, there should be no performance difference between the two right?

Aluminum rust is white colored. You'd commonly see it on Aluminum rims, usually starts near the edge and works it's way in. It doesn't get as cancer crusty and when steel rusts, but you'll most likely see the discoloration and a little surface crust. Of course, aluminized exhaust is just plated steel, so if the steel underneath rusts through from the inside out, it will look like your common red/orange rust color.

Stainless will rust too, eventually, it just takes a longer time than untreated steel, galvanized steel, or aluminized steel.

For longevity, stainless would obviously be the way to go. However, seeing as you're from Texas, it's possible that even the aluminized will hold up longer than the life of the cats, so it might not matter. It's a much easier decision for people like me who live in the snow belt where they salt the roads daily.

Hope that helps and doesn't leave you more confused than before.

codymach
08-06-2003, 06:12 PM
What is the difference in price? I was quoted $2,000 for stainless for ceramic headers, x pipe w/cats and cat backs! How much for aluminized...anyone know? NOTHING rusts in Wyoming and if the perormance is the same.......

Ahhhh the heck with it...I've talked enough. I went ahead and ordered the Bassani ceramic headers, x-pipe w/cats and cat back all stainless....should be here in a few days I found the set for $1,688. Can't wait to get 'em on!

Joe91898
08-06-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by codymach
What is the difference in price? I was quoted $2,000 for stainless for ceramic headers, x pipe w/cats and cat backs! How much for aluminized...anyone know? NOTHING rusts in Wyoming and if the perormance is the same.......

Ahhhh the heck with it...I've talked enough. I went ahead and ordered the Bassani ceramic headers, x-pipe w/cats and cat back all stainless....should be here in a few days I found the set for $1,688. Can't wait to get 'em on!

You did OK. I paid a little less, but I bough the Magnaflow cat back and got the ceramic headers for the non ceramic price.
Now I just have to wait until I can afford to have the headers and x pipe put on. :worship:

codymach
08-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by Joe91898
You did OK. I paid a little less, but I bough the Magnaflow cat back and got the ceramic headers for the non ceramic price.
Now I just have to wait until I can afford to have the headers and x pipe put on. :worship:
Yea...me too....but I'll get a kick outta walkin' past the box of Bassani stuff on the garage floor until then!