PDA

View Full Version : What a terrible way to start the week!

Keebler79
11-20-2006, 03:45 PM
So, I'm driving to work this morning. On the on-ramp to the freeway, I get stuck behind a construction truck. Just as he pulls into traffic and accelerates, he let's loose a shower of rocks and dirt clods (some as large as a golf ball) which rains down upon my car in a furry of dirt and noise. :Flame: And my wonderful hubby just spent all yesterday morning waxing her for me!

Not only did my hood and windshield get tagged, and now have a dozen chips in them, but so does the bumper, front fenders, and yes, even my roof. :(

She goes into the body shop tomorrow. Luckily, this is covered under my Comprehensive coverage, but dang!

So....since she's already gonna be in for repainting, is there any reason I shouldn't have my emblem clear-coated over this time?

Thanks in advance....

-Stacey-

ponygt65
11-20-2006, 03:47 PM
So, I'm driving to work this morning. On the on-ramp to the freeway, I get stuck behind a construction truck. Just as he pulls into traffic and accelerates, he let's loose a shower of rocks and dirt clods (some as large as a golf ball) which rains down upon my car in a furry of dirt and noise. :Flame:

Not only did my hood and windshield get tagged, and now have a dozen chips in them, but so does the bumper, front fenders, and yes, even my roof. :(

She goes into the body shop tomorrow. Luckily, this is covered under my Comprehensive coverage, but dang!

So....since she's already gonna be in for repainting, is there any reason I shouldn't have my emblem clear-coated over this time?

Thanks in advance....

-Stacey-

THAT's Horrible. Did you get the license plate number so they will pay for it?

By emblem, do you mean the stickers? I would. I would also get the stripes painted on.

Keebler79
11-20-2006, 03:53 PM
Yes, I meant the stickers....hmmm, yeah, maybe I should have the stripes just painted on....

My husband works for our insurance company...he says most times, those trucking/construction companies deny liablity, and rarely pay out....But either way, no license plate. Just wanted to get out of the debri field. By the time I safely pulled into the other lane, I had lost sight of him. :(

ponygt65
11-20-2006, 04:01 PM
Yes, I meant the stickers....hmmm, yeah, maybe I should have the stripes just painted on....

My husband works for our insurance company...he says most times, those trucking/construction companies deny liablity, and rarely pay out....But either way, no license plate. Just wanted to get out of the debri field. By the time I safely pulled into the other lane, I had lost sight of him. :(

Sorry to hear that.

I would definitely get them clear coated, and paint the hood stripes. That way, you will have a less chance of peeling from poor application.

TJ4Cam
11-20-2006, 04:06 PM
you get that plate or truck number and call the highway patrol from your cell phone...they are NOT supposed to have an unsecured load...thats what hit you....at least the suckers will get fined! I hate this with a passion, the driver was probably laughing as he saw your nice Mustang getting pelted in the rearview mirror...I have seen this and been a party to it more than once!:Flame:

Keebler79
11-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Thank you. :)

ponygt65
11-20-2006, 04:11 PM
you get that plate or truck number and call the highway patrol from your cell phone...they are NOT supposed to have an unsecured load...thats what hit you....at least the suckers will get fined! I hate this with a passion, the driver was probably laughing as he saw your nice Mustang getting pelted in the rearview mirror...I have seen this and been a party to it more than once!:Flame:

:THUMBSUP:

The CHP is the one to contact. Unfortunately in Stacey's case, there isn't much she can do.:mad:

Keebler79
11-20-2006, 04:14 PM

I don't know if it can be considered an unsecured load....It was a like an enclosed trailer...It looked like a U-Haul, but it was some type of construction vehicle. I don't know what the heck he was carrying, but the rocks and dirt, seemed to come flying from between the bumper and the door.

But I agree, it was no less enfuriating...and I can't believe I was dumb enough to not try and track down the truck...I just wasn't thinking clearly. All I could concentrate on was my shaker lip FILLED with dirt and rocks!!!:grr:

ponygt65
11-20-2006, 04:18 PM
I don't know if it can be considered an unsecured load....It was a like an enclosed trailer...It looked like a U-Haul, but it was some type of construction vehicle. I don't know what the heck he was carrying, but the rocks and dirt, seemed to come flying from between the bumper and the door.

But I agree, it was no less enfuriating...and I can't believe I was dumb enough to not try and track down the truck...I just wasn't thinking clearly. All I could concentrate on was my shaker lip FILLED with dirt and rocks!!!:grr:

I probably would have only been thinking of the car as well.....I dont' think any of us fault you for thinking of the car first. :THUMBSUP:

Keebler79
11-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys. It's 6 hrs later and I'm still pissed. Just needed to vent a bit. :)

mach18604
11-20-2006, 04:33 PM
BUMMER...
I would have givin chase and called the police on the cell..
Good luck.. any picS? @ least your car is black it will match.
Tell the body shop to watch the swirl marks!

PhillyMach1
11-20-2006, 04:44 PM
That sucks! When I had my 96gt vert the same thing happened to me and the top was down.

Keebler79
11-20-2006, 04:46 PM
BUMMER...
I would have givin chase and called the police on the cell..
Good luck.. any picS? @ least your car is black it will match.
Tell the body shop to watch the swirl marks!

No pics...yet. Haven't been home yet. :)

Supposedly, the bodyshop I'm going to has a good rep, but you can bet your a$$ I'll be on them the whole time. Luckily, they are about 100 yds up the road from me. I can pop in and check on them anytime....:D

Keebler79
11-20-2006, 04:47 PM
That sucks! When I had my 96gt vert the same thing happened to me and the top was down.

OUCH!!!! sounds painful! my condolences!

TJ4Cam
11-20-2006, 05:01 PM
In Ohio, if you are hauling gravel, dirt, whatever...even just your average Joe..you must sweep that bumper or tailgate off before you hit the road, the police here will pull you off and make you sweep it off, and all this for good measure too, or you get what you are now all to familar with!

3150Mach1
11-20-2006, 05:03 PM
Thanks guys. It's 6 hrs later and I'm still pissed. Just needed to vent a bit. :)

Wow. That really sucks. No problem, you can vent with us. Thats why we are here.

FloridaOrange
11-20-2006, 06:10 PM
That sux! Unfortunately I see it down here all the time with all the construction. I've had to dodge a 55 gallon barrel drum and a wheel barrel (that was the close one)...one the same d@mn bridge!

need it
11-20-2006, 06:19 PM
is it me or does the paint on our cars chip very easy.had the same thing happen i was driving on the hwy and a rock chipped the paint on my hood.i dont think our cars have high quality paint or maybe theres not to many coats.:3b: :OUCH:

3150Mach1
11-20-2006, 07:15 PM
is it me or does the paint on our cars chip very easy.had the same thing happen i was driving on the hwy and a rock chipped the paint on my hood.i dont think our cars have high quality paint or maybe theres not to many coats.:3b: :OUCH:

I was wondering that as well. Wonder if it is a soft clearcoat issue?????

gvervoren
11-20-2006, 07:46 PM
Sorry to hear that. I think my car has a dump truck magnet on it. I don't drive the car much but just about every time I do, I meet up with a stupid dump truck. :angry: Luckily no chips yet.

Keebler79
11-20-2006, 07:54 PM

Our cars are one-stage paint, correct? Is that part of the problem? Cuz now that I'm home, and I've really had time to inspect the damage, I can't friggin believe how many chips there are!!! The entire car from doors foward and one side scoop needs to be resprayed.

It's just very fustrating. We live in a new development, and the freeway entrance is right outside our neighborhood. That onramp also plays home to a truck stop. So, I'm used to semis and work trucks, and make sure to keep my distance. This particular vehicle was just so unassuming...I figured maybe it was carrying equipment. The rocks and dirt literally came out of nowhere!

Well, wish me luck tomorrow with the auto adjuster. My husband, who works for our insurance company assures me they'll do a good job, as long as I can convince them of all the work that does need to be done.

Thanks again for everyones support! Just once again goes to show what a great crowd ya'll are! :worship:

bris09
11-20-2006, 07:59 PM

The clearcoat is very thin. I had a chip fixed and he ended up re-clearing half the hood. I was there when he tried to fix the chip. He barely sanded and he was through the clearcoat.

Hammer
11-20-2006, 08:00 PM
Wow sorry to hear. I hope you it get repaired better than ever. I am always worrying about that same thing

bris09
11-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Sorry to hear that. I think my car has a dump truck magnet on it. I don't drive the car much but just about every time I do, I meet up with a stupid dump truck. :angry: Luckily no chips yet.

You are lucky. My front bumper is peppered just from the bugs.

loathe
11-20-2006, 10:04 PM
note to self: do not drive behind big large trucks. When driving the mach, downshift to 2nd to bypass the mofo****

Firebreed05
11-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Dang, is it just me......or has this been a really bad month for Mach 1's? So many getting wrecked or messed up recently. Be careful out there fellas.:(

Keebler79
11-21-2006, 10:54 AM
Just returned from body shop....Pretty much everything but the trunk deck is being re-sprayed.

Of course, in the meantime, I'm driving a beat up Nissan Sentra...

But at least my baby is being taken care of. :)

Mach 1 Fireman
11-21-2006, 11:11 AM
Sorry to hear bout the misfortune keebler. at least they are gonna fix it for ya. Be better than new now :yeh:

I agree with Firebreed, ya'll be careful out there.

bris09
11-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Just returned from body shop....Pretty much everything but the trunk deck is being re-sprayed.

Of course, in the meantime, I'm driving a beat up Nissan Sentra...

But at least my baby is being taken care of. :)

I doubt you'll have a problem with the paint matching since it is black but at that point they might as well shoot the whole car.

Sorry to hear about the car. At least she's getting a new paint job.

birdman941
11-21-2006, 11:43 AM
Nasty thing to happen to your car.
Not as bad as this though....................
http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j29/JGH_Photos/?action=view&current=LubeOil.flv

Mach 1 Fireman
11-21-2006, 11:47 AM
http://s76.photobucket.com/albums/j29/JGH_Photos/?action=view&current=LubeOil.flv

Oops. How do you explain that to the insurance company?

E-MACH
11-21-2006, 12:18 PM
There is tons of road construction in the St. Louis area and I have lost 2 windshields in the last year thanks to dump trucks dribbling rocks. I'm always on the lookout and I still haven't been able to avoid 'em all. Here, it's treated like an act of God, and there's no way to hang them for being morons, license or no license. It just sucks. My friend just got sideswiped by a semi truck tractor in a construction zone, he chased him and the trucker just floored it and kept going. Once again insurance says it's the truckers word against my friend's... no justice.

04azuremach
11-21-2006, 12:27 PM
In my old car, I was following a Dodge pickup and the next thing I know, his entire toolbox that ran from one side of the truck to the other was air born! It flew up right in front of me. I was on a one lane road so I drove into someone's yard (drifting through it around 40 mph no less) and then back onto the road to avoid a tree. It was necessary though... something that big hitting my windshield could have killed me!

Just1More
11-21-2006, 03:16 PM
That's never fun. I live right by a rock quarry, so there are constant dump trucks driving around that I have to try to dodge. It gets to me because I never see them when I drive the 85, but as soon as I take the Mach1 out, I see about 3 on the road total two of which are in the lanes ahead.

On a sidenote, anyone traveling around Indy on 465 beware there is constant construction going on. Maybe we can start a construction thread for those who take road trips to inform of possible issues like this. I know I drive in to NJ about twice a month if not more, so I'm always hitting contstruction on the PA turnpike.

gvervoren
11-21-2006, 04:42 PM

That's funny right there. The music even makes it more funny.

gvervoren
11-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Dang, is it just me......or has this been a really bad month for Mach 1's? So many getting wrecked or messed up recently. Be careful out there fellas.:(

I'm glad mine is put away safely in a garage until next year. Hopefully it will be a better year for the machs next year or I might just keep it in there.

bris09
11-21-2006, 05:46 PM
I know I drive in to NJ about twice a month if not more, so I'm always hitting contstruction on the PA turnpike.

Welcome to my life. It doesn't matter what road you take in PA, you're going to hit construction on it. 78, 80, and 81 are the worst.

Keebler79
11-24-2006, 12:00 AM
Just an update....

There was some heat damage to the rear bumper from a previous bad exhaust install by a previous owner (not the guy I bought from). So, for an only additional $250, they'll add the bumper repair into the mix. At which point, the ONLY thing not being painted is the trunk deck. I agree, shouldn't have a prob matching, but I'm gonna see if I can convince them to just spray that too. I mean, it's one more relatively little thing, and then I can truly say the ENTIRE car has been resprayed...

On the down side...breaks my heart even more that she has to be a daily driver with all that beautiful new paint. But, I'll get over it! :)

ETA is December 11 though! I miss driving her sooooooo much! I guess I'll just have to spend extra time on the board and live vicariously through my fellow mach owners!!!

(Anyone in Tucson with a black Mach they'll just let me oggle until then? lol)

BTW, Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!!! Best wishes to you all!

mach18604
11-27-2006, 06:34 PM
No its 2 stage,, Not sure is any1 uses one stage anymore,, Sabb used too..

I am telling your guys,, LOTS of wax helps protect the paint more then you think!
I went into the woods with my mach ( long story) and all the marks came off with quick detailer and a clay bar then re-polish&wax..

DONT FEAR THE WAX! That also helps with the bugs.. Each time I park my mach I get out a micro-fiber and the quickdetailer and clean off all the crap.
With a nice coat of wax it all comes right off!