PDA

View Full Version : better cold air kit steeda or C&L

need it
09-17-2006, 05:48 PM
what is the better cold air kit for the mach 1? the steeda cold air kit or the C&L cold air kit????????????????????/

3150Mach1
09-17-2006, 06:04 PM
Thats a question that will get a lot of different views. My view is niether.
The JLT products are less expensive, make more HP and look good to.

http://jlttruecoldair.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_8

manny
09-17-2006, 06:14 PM
I can see everyones point of view about the different CAI kits that are on the market, but I personally haven't seen any kit that I would prefer over my C&L CAI kit. It works perfect for me and my nitrous system. The pipe has a nitrous boss cast into it, which is the sole reason that I purchased it. If I had no plans on running a power adder, then I could possibly see trying one of the other kits out there.

need it
09-17-2006, 07:13 PM
WHICH JLT IS BETTER TRUE COLD AIR OR THE RAM AIR KIT FOR MY MACH 1.I HAVE SLP LOUD MOUTH CAT BACK EXHAUST,PHP SPACER,STEEDA TRI AX SHIFTER.NOT REALLY GONNA DO MUCH MORE TO THE CAR, ENGINE WISE JUST LOOKING TO ADD A COLD AIR KIT.EVENTUALLY GONNA GET A VORTECH SUPER CHARGER BUT THATS A GOOD TWO YEARS AWAY.NEVER SEEN THE JLT KIT BEFORE.I LIKE THE FACT YOU CAN ORDER THE KIT TO THE COLOR OF YOUR CAR THATS COOL.THANKS KEEP THE POSTS UP.GONNA MAKE A DECISION BY THE END OF THE WEEK BASED ON THESE POSTS. :crazy:

3150Mach1
09-17-2006, 09:48 PM
WHICH JLT IS BETTER TRUE COLD AIR OR THE RAM AIR KIT FOR MY MACH 1.I HAVE SLP LOUD MOUTH CAT BACK EXHAUST,PHP SPACER,STEEDA TRI AX SHIFTER.NOT REALLY GONNA DO MUCH MORE TO THE CAR, ENGINE WISE JUST LOOKING TO ADD A COLD AIR KIT.EVENTUALLY GONNA GET A VORTECH SUPER CHARGER BUT THATS A GOOD TWO YEARS AWAY.NEVER SEEN THE JLT KIT BEFORE.I LIKE THE FACT YOU CAN ORDER THE KIT TO THE COLOR OF YOUR CAR THATS COOL.THANKS KEEP THE POSTS UP.GONNA MAKE A DECISION BY THE END OF THE WEEK BASED ON THESE POSTS. :crazy:

True cold air - Does not keep shaker functional
Ram Air - keeps the shaker funtional.

The true cold air is worth 1-2 more HP.

So it is your choice.

dantheratman
09-17-2006, 10:30 PM
+1 Jlt

Fosters
09-17-2006, 11:53 PM
True cold air - Does not keep shaker functional
Ram Air - keeps the shaker funtional.

The true cold air is worth 1-2 more HP.

So it is your choice.

more like 4-5... i see the RAI average 9-10hp, the CAI 14-15... I got 14hp and 19tq out of mine.

makes you wonder... if you make more power without the shaker, than how can one claim it's "functional" ? :p

it's still shakes - so i can still see when i'm spinning tires, so in my opinion, it's still functional :11:

ponygt65
09-18-2006, 12:02 AM
more like 4-5... i see the RAI average 9-10hp, the CAI 14-15... I got 14hp and 19tq out of mine.

makes you wonder... if you make more power without the shaker, than how can one claim it's "functional" ? :p

it's still shakes - so i can still see when i'm spinning tires, so in my opinion, it's still functional :11:

Cause the CAI is in the fender well, and the RAI is not?

almostthere4v
09-18-2006, 12:44 AM
i still would keep it
functional... thats just me tho

Fosters
09-18-2006, 12:47 AM
Cause the CAI is in the fender well, and the RAI is not?

you missed the point... what's the function of the shaker... lose power? :3:

ponygt65
09-18-2006, 01:02 AM
you missed the point... what's the function of the shaker... lose power? :3:

I see your point. My point is the variable in numbers could be a result of true CAI vs. RAI. If you pull the air filter out of a mach, you will see the concentrated dirt area that is from the inlet of the shaker.

HOWEVER, no one is going to see 2-4 HP difference anyway, so what is the point? 2-4 could be a variable from dyno or air temp or engine temp. :yeh:

Ralph Greene
09-18-2006, 07:51 AM
I agree with Foster....Our shaker just for looks. And like most of you, I like the looks.

Based on my experience with a C&L complete kit, tuning of the car with that kit, etc, I'm of the opinion that CAI kits on a near stock car make very little power over a tuned car with stock air intake path. They mostly lean the car and make a few HP. then when tuning you add back some fuel and give the power back. Most of the benefit comes from the tune, where you can add some timing for a few HP...which you can do with stock set up just as well....without having to deal with transfer functions, etc.

If you decide your stock air intake path is incapable of supplying the air your engine needs to make it's power, then add one. Heavly modded cars might need more, but you also might be suprised how much HP the stock set up can support with a tune. So obviously I think CAI kits are worth only a couple HP on near stock car. MHO

need it
09-18-2006, 12:47 PM
Does Anyone Know Or Have The Steeda Hv Cold Air Kit For The Mach 1 It Says It Still Keeps The Shaker Functional.i Think Im Steering Toward This One.

ponygt65
09-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Does Anyone Know Or Have The Steeda Hv Cold Air Kit For The Mach 1 It Says It Still Keeps The Shaker Functional.i Think Im Steering Toward This One.

Could always go with a K and N CAI.