PDA

View Full Version : After Market 2 1/2" Catted (or OR) H

Ralph Greene
07-11-2003, 10:31 PM
Anyone interested in one of these? I thnk the MRT 2 1/2" H is interesting. I E mailed them for info about the H pipe they sell.

It is made by an OE manufacturer, so maybe (maybe) it would look similar (IE not so great) to stock one, thus not shouting to dealer about aftermarket H. Obviously if they look closely they will notice.

It also has Magnaflow Hi flow cats (catted model). The price is OK also for catted mid pipe. And...it should fit OK after being test fitted to Hoag's car. Point is if you buying something similar to this, might as well consider this one also. MHO
http://www.mustangracing.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=63&cat=258&page=1

Joe
07-12-2003, 12:10 AM
Looks like nice piece. Not a bad price either, considering a bassani x with cats is in the $450 range. I saw M Radburn mention this on Stangnet a few months back. They had surveyed a bunch on Stangnet to see what people wanted and wasn't available for a good price......they did a good job responding.

joe

:COOL: :COOL:

wannabDSG
07-12-2003, 11:20 AM
I just orderd one a couple days ago, so I should be able to give you some first hand experience in a few weeks. Talked to MRT and they said that in a dyno test on an 02' GT it came in slightly higher than a Bassani X in both hp and tq. He didn't say at what rpms though. They were looking at 9hp and 9tq on the GT and he expects it to be a little higher on our 4v Mach 1. Its 2 1/2" 304 stainless with high flow cats. Cant wait:HOPPY:

Ralph Greene
07-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by wannabDSG
I just orderd one a couple days ago, so I should be able to give you some first hand experience in a few weeks. Talked to MRT and they said that in a dyno test on an 02' GT it came in slightly higher than a Bassani X in both hp and tq. He didn't say at what rpms though. They were looking at 9hp and 9tq on the GT and he expects it to be a little higher on our 4v Mach 1. Its 2 1/2" 304 stainless with high flow cats. Cant wait:HOPPY:

Please let us know how it installs and sounds.

Joe
07-13-2003, 09:22 AM
hey man cool. I think you'll like the sound too. I'm still getting used to the sound of an X vs. the h. The h will probably sound a little meatier than the raspy x does.

Look forward to hearing in around town......

Joe

MachMonster
07-14-2003, 02:11 AM
I just orderd one a couple days ago, so I should be able to give you some first hand experience in a few weeks. Talked to MRT and they said that in a dyno test on an 02' GT it came in slightly higher than a Bassani X in both hp and tq. He didn't say at what rpms though. They were looking at 9hp and 9tq on the GT and he expects it to be a little higher on our 4v Mach 1. Its 2 1/2" 304 stainless with high flow cats. Cant wait

Hey DSG are you in the Denver area? I would really like to hear your H pipe when you get it installed. I am about an earful from going in that direction myself.

Ralph, thanks for the post.

wannabDSG
07-18-2003, 08:53 AM
Came in the other day.:COOL: Unfortunately its going to be about a week or so before I have a chance to install it. I will post a clip when I do. Looks decent, although this is my first exhaust mod, so I have nothing to compare it to. The welds look good. Comes with decent instructions. The H section is a slip joint, I assume for ease of shipping. They say no clamp is needed, but if you want to put one on, any exhaust clamp will do. It came with the nuts and bolts for installation, as well as a new gasket for the right hand exhaust manifold. Why does only the right side gasket need replaced? Or is that the only side that has one? There is no badging anywhere, even on the cats, so you cant tell who made it. The only questionable thing I noticed was that when you look through the H, and you can since its split, one side looks really good where they cut the pipe to flow into the H, but on the other side, the hole is not quite as large as it could be. Looks like they could have cut another 1/4 inch out. Would this affect performance at all? Should I try to clean it up so the hole is a little larger flowing into the H on that side?
MachMonster, I am not too far from you. I met you at RMMR. I was the only other DSG there. Once I get the pipe installed and I get some drag radials, I will be ready to meet you and Joe at Bandi some time. I cant make it this month, but some Wed in August would be good for test n tune. :THUMBSUP:

wannabDSG
07-19-2003, 03:17 AM
I checked in with MRT in regards to the hole in the pipe on one side of the H not being as large as the other. They said that the cross over pipe is larger than what is needed (oversize) to allow for variability in the hand cut holes. So, even though the one is smaller, its big enough to not impact performance or sound.

wannabDSG
08-01-2003, 01:20 PM
Ok, finally installed MRT's H-Pipe. It fits perfectly. No fitment problems whatsoever. Do plan on spending half the day on your back though. It was a little tricky reaching some of the nuts, but a swivel socket and a bunch of extensions did the trick. I haven't done a lot of driving with it yet, but so far I think it sounds great. When you start it up, you can notice the different tone right away, but once it settles down to idle, its pretty quiet. From inside the car, while driving at normal cruise speeds, its very pleasant. Just a little louder than stock. When you get on it, it comes alive and has a mean sound. I have a couple mpg's of the sound. Does someone have to host them or what?

Joe
08-01-2003, 04:04 PM
Hey man, glad to hear you got that thing on. If you had told me when you were going to do it, I would have lent you a hand. I know what its like to do it by yourself. I also have a compressor and air tools now. Glad it fit on like it should. See ya.

Joe