PDA

View Full Version : Shift Stops in aftermarket shifters

2003_shaker
06-12-2003, 12:42 AM
Tremec has officially recommended removing the shift stops in short-throw aftermarket shifters used in combination with Tremec gearboxes (See the Scott Hoag Q&A forum on this site).

This is a dumb question, but does Tremec also manufacture the 3650 box in the Mach 1?

Thanks Much!

Ralph Greene
06-12-2003, 12:51 AM
Yes

2003_shaker
06-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Thanks, Ralph.

Looks like I'll be "pulling out all the stops", then! ;)

It's too bad UPR hasn't caught up with this information and included the clarification it in it's installation procedure.

Ralph Greene
06-12-2003, 01:07 AM
It's not clear to me why Tremic says that. Maybe mis adjusted stops are causing them a lot of complaints.

However, to me, I see no problem with, and a few advantages from, properly adjusted stops.

Perhaps on the early transmissions, when aftermarket shifters with stops began being used, the built in stops were not as good as current built in stops.

I doubt if you are going to slam a shift hard enough to matter, either way.

2003_shaker
06-12-2003, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Ralph Greene
It's not clear to me why Tremic says that. Maybe mis adjusted stops are causing them a lot of complaints.

However, to me, I see no problem with, and a few advantages from, properly adjusted stops.

Perhaps on the early transmissions, when aftermarket shifters with stops began being used, the built in stops were not as good as current built in stops.

I doubt if you are going to slam a shift hard enough to matter, either way.

That's probably it. If they're not properly adjusted, of course, they can prevent a gear from fully-engaging.

I just dropped UPR a line about this whole issue, so maybe they'll do some digging and we'll get a little more info from them.

Thanks again for the input.

TRMach1
06-12-2003, 03:31 AM
Evidently, Tremec's problem with aftermarket shift stops is not so much with them functioning properly, as with them becoming loose or misadjusted and causing a "jump out of gear" issue. Tremec claims that the shift stops on the shifter are redundant and not necessary because their internal rail stops can handle in excess of 1,000 psi of force, without the shift forks flexing or bending. However, they say that when a shifter jumps out of gear, while under load, either accelerating or decelerating, more force is generated, that will bend the forks! Hence, their recommendation is to take the shifter stops out to avoid the possibility altogether of them coming loose or getting misadjusted. I took mine out of my Hurst, and I'm an old school powershifter, and I haven't had any problems without them.