PDA

View Full Version : Question about buying a car.

PilotMulvs
04-27-2006, 04:23 PM
I have a question about buying a car from a private party that still is paying for the car. How does this work out? I plan on getting a loan from cap one where they will send me a blank check. I write the check in full to the seller and if the car was paid off he would sign the title over. So since the car is not paid off what does the seller do? Do I wait for him to mail in the check to pay off his loan and to get the title? Do I just take the car and when the title comes in he just signs it over? I can't imagine it works this way because who is going to trust someone they don't even know to sign over a title after money has been handed to them. How does this process work?

machgsxr
04-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Go to or call the place where he got the loan from and have it transfered to your name. Would be my guess.

BLACK IOWA MACH
04-27-2006, 05:01 PM
I was in the sam boat when I bought my Mach.
short answer
The seller would take the check, send it too there bank, the check clears and seller gets the title and sends it to you.

Long answer
Ill tell you what I did, and maybe it will help. First you need to talk to your bank and let them know what the situation is, so they are not expecting the title right away.
You should also contact your insurance and let them know you are looking at new cars and make sure they will cover you car after pick up, till the time you get a policy set up.
Contact your county about registration that would need to take place so you know what has to be done. Ask them about policies for temporary tags for newly aquired vehicles. Also policies for bringing a vehicle in from another state if that is the case. Also ask them about taxes that would need to be paid.

so now the steps to buying the car.
1. Make a bill of sale printed out that includes type of car, vin, milage, terms of sale, price, etc. Make sure you have on there a time period for the other person to get the title to you. You will probably have to just leave blanks for the information, but I recommend something that is typed up. This can be simple, but you should make it thurough to cover both parties. You will want to carry this in the car until tax, title, and registration are taken care of with the county and bank.
2. Fill in the bill of sale when sale is agreed upon, and make sure both parties sign it.
3. When you fill out the check make it out to the seller and their bank.
4. Have a copy of the bill of sale and drive away in your car.
5. now you just wait for the title and take care title, registration, insurance and taxes.
6. Enjoy the car.

sorry for the long post, but I like you was hesitant about a car sale without a title, so I wanted to give you as much info as I could to make it easyer for you. If you have any questions send me a pm and I will answer them as best I can.

Azure1
06-01-2006, 01:17 AM
Wowha the search function really does work.

Thanx IOWA you pretty much answered every question I had. Although I have one added factor.. A shipping company, so basically I think the seller is going to wait till the draft clears then corrdinate with the shipping company. So I guess thats going to be another week or so..