PDA

View Full Version : K&N Filter with cut in FLOWMASTERS

06-06-2003, 04:44 AM
Sup! btw i used to be defride.

Any way Just thought some of you would like to know what it sound's like. And if i noticed any power gain. I think it sound's sweet!!
At idel you really can't tell but anything above that is just music to your ear's. :D

Did i gain any power ???
I think so maybe 1-8 hp from
the k&n and 10 hp or so with the flows.
Not sure really but i can tell a difference though.
So for you guy's out there that like the stock tip's or just low on $$$ like me i say go for it! I payed $175 for the flow's that's installed.And i payed $45 for the k&n.
Not bad hope this help's ...:COOL:

sutyak
06-06-2003, 08:30 AM
Can you get a sound clip or two for us?

Mark

351c.i.d
06-06-2003, 09:08 AM
pleeeeeeeeeeeease post a sound clip, I've been dying to know what flows sound like on the Mach.

jbrad88
06-06-2003, 09:55 AM
007 (formerly known as defride)

I gather you bought 2 chamber flows?

Shaker Dan
06-06-2003, 11:40 PM
There is no way Flows can not sound good on our Cars. I had Flows on my truck. I am now one of their biggest fans. Such a distinct rumble. I plan on DF40s with the X pipe replacement and replacing the tips with a little bigger ones that are not rounded on the end.

K&N - Is the only filter to have in your ride! Just be careful when you re-oil.

jbrad88
06-07-2003, 01:43 AM
I have had flow's on my coupe for 12 of the 13 years I have had the car.

I have not heard a Mach with them yet, but the 2 chamber 2.5 inch flowmaster on a 5.0 was and is the only way to go...

Sometimes I just like to stand behind the car at Idle and Listen...

It is too cool...

06-07-2003, 02:50 AM
No sound clip sorry.:(
I don't have the tool's to do so.And yes the flow's are 2 chamber. I wish i could post a sound clip for you guy's cuz i know you all would love it!

Shaker dan is da man lol....You are right! The flowmaster sound can not be beat.That's just my 0.02

:CHEERS:

06-07-2003, 03:07 AM
Sometimes I just like to stand behind the car at Idle and Listen...

It is too cool...

lol...I thought i was the only one with this problem. :D
Can you guy's record a sound clip from my car and down load it here ???

Shaker Dan
06-07-2003, 03:24 AM
Thanks 007 :D

I will get a sound clip and little video when I get it all done. Just waiting for a few more dollars. Gotta kind of do it with cash in hand so the wife does not discover everything I put on the car. She had a hard enough time with the Truck. She is going to die on this thing. The good news is that most everything I want done is less expensive than some of the items I put on the truck. ;)

69mach03
06-07-2003, 03:33 AM
Later this summer, I'm looking to run 40 Series Flowmaster Mufflers with the BBK off-road x-pipe that I already have installed. However, while I'm cutting out the factory mufflers, I wouldn't mind stepping up to some larger toners. I'd like the same tips we go now- just longer and in larger diameter. :CHEERS:

06-07-2003, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Shaker Dan
Thanks 007 :D

I will get a sound clip and little video when I get it all done. Just waiting for a few more dollars. Gotta kind of do it with cash in hand so the wife does not discover everything I put on the car. She had a hard enough time with the Truck. She is going to die on this thing. The good news is that most everything I want done is less expensive than some of the items I put on the truck. ;) Kewl! You will love the sound! At first it's hard to tell a diffrence but give it a week or two to let them break in.
It's not too loud to where it drowned's out the motor.You have to here that baby too sucking in that air @ 6000 + rpm is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
SWEET !!!!!!!! :D :p

LOVMACH
06-07-2003, 06:22 AM
I put a K&N filter & Flowmasters on my Mach & took it to The Dyno Shop in Santee. Dynoperformance.com had it posted on their website front page, with results & a sound clip.

06-07-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by LOVMACH
I put a K&N filter & Flowmasters on my Mach & took it to The Dyno Shop in Santee. Dynoperformance.com had it posted on their website front page, with results & a sound clip. Can you load the dyno sheet & sound clip's here??

LOVMACH
06-07-2003, 07:54 AM
I'm not yet web savvy enough to add it to the mach site, maybe someone else can but you can go to the dynoperformance.com site to check it out.

MACHCRAZY
06-07-2003, 12:19 PM
I have the K&n air filter and I put Flowmaster 40 series 2 chamber on my car and I will tell you they sound great to me on this car. The hell with spending all that money for offroad pipes and mill elliminators. I am happy with the sound.

socalmach1
06-07-2003, 01:31 PM
Whats the total price on everything needed?

jbrad88
06-07-2003, 02:12 PM
The cost of the flow's should be somewhere between 175-225 installed depending on where you source the parts, and who puts them in.

2 chamber flow's are @ 65.00 a piece if I remember my last set on the coupe last year. Total cost with tax for installation was @ 200.00.

bullitt1229
06-09-2003, 01:11 AM
I have the same setup on my Bullitt. At idle, you can tell a difference but not a whole lot, but once you get on it, you can definitely tell. It's not loud enough for me though, so I'm putting on an o/r h-pipe this month. In my opinion, this is the best sounding setup I have ever heard: o/r h-pipe with 2 chamber flows. Also, if anyone wants good deals on flows, check on ebay. That is where I bought mine from and I got a really good deal. I think I paid $120 shipped to my door and then $60 for installation.

L.B.
06-09-2003, 01:37 AM
Here is the direct link...

http://dynoperformance.com/featured_details.php?ID=158

Just click on "play dyno run" for the video and sound clip...

I must say I was a little disappointed with the HP numbers...265 at wheels = roughly 312 at the crank (18% driveline loss)

Thought with exhaust mods and K&N you would be looking a little better...

06-09-2003, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by L.B.

I must say I was a little disappointed with the HP numbers...265 at wheels = roughly 312 at the crank (18% driveline loss)

Thought with exhaust mods and K&N you would be looking a little better... Yeah i see your point.But the car only had 3000 miles on it though.

351c.i.d
06-09-2003, 05:13 AM
Forgive me guys, I'm not as knowledgable as a lot of you, but I'm interested in putting flows on the Mach as well. I checked ebay and found some with 2 1/4 in. inlets and 2 1/2 outlets, as well as 2 1/4 all around. What do I need for the mach. I was told that we had 2 1/4 in. exhaust, and I've heard some argue that 2 1/2 will kill back pressure, or it won't kill back pressure etc. etc. Do I have to get the 2 1/4 all the way around can I get 2 1/2? I'm kinda confused so any help would be appreciated.
And if you can get the 2 1/2, how would that work? Does the welder just pinch the pipe on to fill the gap or what?

Joe91898
06-09-2003, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by 351c.i.d
Forgive me guys, I'm not as knowledgable as a lot of you, but I'm interested in putting flows on the Mach as well. I checked ebay and found some with 2 1/4 in. inlets and 2 1/2 outlets, as well as 2 1/4 all around. What do I need for the mach. I was told that we had 2 1/4 in. exhaust, and I've heard some argue that 2 1/2 will kill back pressure, or it won't kill back pressure etc. etc. Do I have to get the 2 1/4 all the way around can I get 2 1/2? I'm kinda confused so any help would be appreciated.
And if you can get the 2 1/2, how would that work? Does the welder just pinch the pipe on to fill the gap or what?

Steve,
I have the stainless steal Magnaflow cat back sitting in my basement. It's the 2 1/2 pipe and supposedly bolts right on with no welding. I can measure anything you like just let me know. I also bought mine off e-bay
I'll be picking up my Mach Tuesday!!! How flippin excited am I:MADNOEL:
Joe

Ralph Greene
06-09-2003, 06:00 AM
Originally posted by L.B.

Thought with exhaust mods and K&N you would be looking a little better...

Doesn't surprise me a bit. I don't figure K&N is worth much by itself VS clean paper filter, and stock catback is pretty good, though quiet.

Better choice, though more expensive, for more sound and maybe some power increase, W/B K&N plus 2 1/2" catted X or H pipe for maybe 5-10HP. (if your state allows)

L.B.
06-09-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Ralph Greene
Doesn't surprise me a bit.
People are posting dyno sheets with 310 to 335 HP stock...before and after dynos are showing 5-6 HP for K&N...I'm no math major, but... :rolleyes:

Ralph Greene
06-09-2003, 06:40 AM
I spend a lot of time around a Performance shop with a dyno (Lamotta Performance, Longwood FL) . I usually see 1-2 HP gain with K&N VS clean paper conical filter and no other mods. Against dirty or slightly dirty paper filter a little more. The gains are at or near max RPM. Since there is no airflow benefit at cruising RPM speed, I don't see how people can claim better fuel milage with K&N use.

When one makes changes to get more air out thru better exhaust, or use CAI, then better flowing filter is beneficial.

The K&N filter is useful when used with other bolt ons, but by itself is worh practically nothing over clean paper filter. On the dyno, I have seem much more gain by removing the silencer, with a clean paper filter, than using a K&N with silencer in place.

The K&N also allows more dirt into engine, so you just have to decide for yourself if it's worth it. If I make an exhaust mod to this car (Bassani X pipe with cats probably), I will use one, otherwise probably not. I do have a new one (K&N filter) out in the garage though.

If I were using the common bolt ons to get past 300 RW for serious drag racing, I certainly would use one (or something better).

bullitt1229
06-09-2003, 12:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think with full cat-back exhaust you can go with 2.5 but if you just replace the mufflers, I think you have to get 2.25. I know the mufflers that I bought were the offset inlet and offset outlet. If these are the ones that are on the mach, just go to ebay and type 42443 in the search box and it will bring up the 2.25 offset inlet and offset outlet.

LOVMACH
06-09-2003, 10:41 PM
The posted HP figures on the dyno web site are SAE corrected...
My printed out actual readings are:

Flywheel HP: 273.7
Flywheel TQ: 288.4

AnakinSW
06-15-2003, 03:40 PM
Hello,

New to the board and I had a quick question about some options a local muffler shop gave me. I had them do a '90 GT that I had and they did a good quality job. I'm wanting to improve my overall sound and performance as is everyone it would seem = )

This is the option that the guy said would be the best with what he had for my '03 Mach 1:

(2) 40 Series Non Delta Flowmasters
(2) 2 1/2 Extension Pipes
(2) 2 1/2 Mandrell Tailpipes
(2) Rolled Angle Magnaflow Stainless Tips 4x18

He stated to purchase and install the above would be around $450-$500 approx.

Does that sound like a good/decent deal and is all of that needed or more? I asked about replacing with a new H or X pipe and he stated they can't do that because apparently it's illegal here...

As you can tell I'm definitely new to this stuff so just looking for some helpf5l advice. Thanks!

- Brian

Joe91898
06-15-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by AnakinSW
Hello,

New to the board and I had a quick question about some options a local muffler shop gave me. I had them do a '90 GT that I had and they did a good quality job. I'm wanting to improve my overall sound and performance as is everyone it would seem = )

This is the option that the guy said would be the best with what he had for my '03 Mach 1:

(2) 40 Series Non Delta Flowmasters
(2) 2 1/2 Extension Pipes
(2) 2 1/2 Mandrell Tailpipes
(2) Rolled Angle Magnaflow Stainless Tips 4x18

He stated to purchase and install the above would be around $450-$500 approx.

Does that sound like a good/decent deal and is all of that needed or more? I asked about replacing with a new H or X pipe and he stated they can't do that because apparently it's illegal here...

As you can tell I'm definitely new to this stuff so just looking for some helpful advice. Thanks!

- Brian

Brian,
I bought a Magnaflow catback(15671), all stainless steel. Cost $275. with shipping it was $305. This is a quality catback system. Might want to shop around. I dont see it costing $200 to install. Check out this store on e-bay look at the sellers others items.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2417130954&category=33630
Joe

bullitt1229
06-16-2003, 10:00 AM
It all depends on what your looking for out of your car. If you want just sound, then buy a set of Flowmaster 40 series or whatever brand you choose, and then just have the welded in replacing your old ones. But with a cat-back exhaust, you will yield more hp, and with cat-back, you can also replace it with just standard wrenches in your own driveway. If you want flowmasters, I suggest going to ebay and buying them off there. I just ordered a pair off of there for my girlfriend's dad and the total cost was $95, shipping included. They were $39 a piece for the muffler, $10 for the first item, and $7 for the other item. This is the route I took because I'm a broke college kid and didn't have the cash flow for a full cat-back exhuast. But this wasn't loud enough for me, so I'm putting an o/r h-pipe on.

AnakinSW
06-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Well ideally I'd like to have the hp increase as well as the sound. I'm ok with paying what I was quoted if that's 'reasonable' as I'd rather not bother with ordering the stuff on ebay as that's time I really don't have.

Is the setup that he wrote up for me a cat-back system? Again I'm new to this so I'm not sure what exactly defines that. I figured it was from the catalyst back which I think he's got me set for. He did say that the 40 series will be better than the 50 series so that's another thing I'd like to verify.

Thanks again! I only want to do this once =) I'd luv to look into a H pipe but again I have no idea who could do it for me here.

- Brian

bullitt1229
06-17-2003, 02:08 PM
I could be wrong, but I think what he has you quoted for is from the muffler back, not the cats. Because all the tubing from the cats back is 2.25", so what it sounds like he is doing is replacing the mufflers with probably a 2.5" weld-in and then replacing everything behind it. Like I said, I could be wrong, so don't quote me on this. If I am right, I have no idea about price. Also, the 40 series are louder than the 50 series. If you want really loud, get 1 chamber flows.

THE DOCTOR
06-20-2003, 11:32 AM
I had my local muffler guy put on a DYNOMAX 2/12 cat back exhaust,all welded on ,no clamps. he reused the stock chrome tips because they are 2 1/2 inch,all he had to do was expand them to weld them over the tails.out back it looks totally stock. it sounds AWESOME!! . We measured the stock tailpipes and I got some bad news, the stock tails arent even 2 1/4, more like 2 1/8,thats why the cars so freakin' quite. If you weld flows onto your stock exhaust your not gonna get much power gain,I'm sorry youd be wasting your time,all your gonna get is the sound. maybe 1-3 hp tops!!! but the full cat back with the larger pipes will do the trick!! I also put on a BBK X-PIPE sounds really cool. with noticable power!!!:THUMBSUP:

AnakinSW
06-20-2003, 09:58 PM
007, Is the difference in sound from the stock exhaust a very noticeable difference? Reason I ask is that the stock exhaust already sounds quite a bit more deep and burly than the standard 4.6 GT and I'm just hoping that by removing it and putting on the flows, there's definitely a huge improvement in sound, not to mention a decent increase in power. I could see how it would be better if you were adding to it, but by removing then adding I'm just hoping its not a 'slight' difference. Which leads me to my 2nd question.

What exactly constitutes the sound? Is it strictly the exhaust that mainly gives you what you want or don't want? Or is it a combination of different things like the headers as well?

Thanks!