PDA

View Full Version : Might be going to the darkside; very close to it!

The Mach Says
03-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Well, in looking for an SUV, we have narrowed it down to two choices.......2006 Trailblazer SS (395HP 5.7L V8 LS2) or 2007 Explorer Sporttrac (292HP 4.6L 3-valve V8). To be honest with you, it really isn't too much of a competition, as I'm leaning 90% TBSS and 10% Sporttrac.

I can probably get the sporttrac on X-plan for about 27, which isn't bad for a fully loaded Special Edition V8 Explorer.............however, I'm pretty confident I can get an equally equipped TBSS for about 32, plus a sunroof and DVD player, and the convenience of ONSTAR.

Just as an FYI, I WILL NOT be getting rid of either Mach..........this will be a 3rd vehicle, maybe 4th (I haven't decided if I'm getting rid of the '96 T-bird yet; she's out of commission right now, but I'm almost done gathering parts in my garage for her).

Anyways, just thought I'd share...............let me know your "unbiased" opinions....... ;) :D

thx,
JC

mtm87tx
03-27-2006, 01:03 PM
Get the Jeep SRT-8!! runs 13.2 with 425hp and looks awesome. that would give the mach a run for its money. but thats only me

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2006/jeep/grandcherokeesrt8/100668772/researchlanding.html

grimreefer
03-27-2006, 01:12 PM
My wife has expressed an interest in an 07 Sport Trac now... **** Ford for dropping the SVT Adrenalin. :grr:

The Mach Says
03-27-2006, 02:46 PM
I'd love the SRT-8, but it's gonna cost me about $10K more............I think I'll pass on that...........plus, Dodge has gotten very stingy, and it seems that most places are actually asking for a premium over MSRP on those...........that would put it around $50K. Definitely not in my price range, unless I get rid of one of the Machs.........and I AM NOT doing that.

JC

Intmd8r32
03-27-2006, 02:52 PM
Just get another MACh! :devil: That's what I would do but then they say I'm :crazy:

TX MACH 1
03-27-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm right there with ya on the TBSS!! Looking seriously at getting one. Test drove one last week and WOW!! I was very impressed with it. The price is definately right compared to the Jeep SRT-8. That was my other choice, but I can't justify the additional 10k+ either.

JDraper
03-27-2006, 04:58 PM
I'd stick with the Sport Trac. There have been a LOT of issues with the Trailblazer and they're not rated very well. I'm not saying the Sport Trac is perfect, but it's a heckuva lot better than the Trailblazer.

The Mach Says
03-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm right there with ya on the TBSS!! Looking seriously at getting one. Test drove one last week and WOW!! I was very impressed with it. The price is definately right compared to the Jeep SRT-8. That was my other choice, but I can't justify the additional 10k+ either.

Did you guys get rid of the Lightning??? Say it ain't so?!?!?!?!?! :eek:

jc

RnJstel
03-27-2006, 07:04 PM
Well, in looking for an SUV, we have narrowed it down to two choices.......2006 Trailblazer SS (395HP 5.7L V8 LS2) or 2007 Explorer Sporttrac (292HP 4.6L 3-valve V8). To be honest with you, it really isn't too much of a competition, as I'm leaning 90% TBSS and 10% Sporttrac.

I can probably get the sporttrac on X-plan for about 27, which isn't bad for a fully loaded Special Edition V8 Explorer.............however, I'm pretty confident I can get an equally equipped TBSS for about 32, plus a sunroof and DVD player, and the convenience of ONSTAR.

Just as an FYI, I WILL NOT be getting rid of either Mach..........this will be a 3rd vehicle, maybe 4th (I haven't decided if I'm getting rid of the '96 T-bird yet; she's out of commission right now, but I'm almost done gathering parts in my garage for her).

Anyways, just thought I'd share...............let me know your "unbiased" opinions....... ;) :D

thx,
JC

Came **** **** Close to the LS2 myself. BTW, we drove the 07 Sport-Track and it did nothing for us.It was a floaty, icky, just blah, I hate that Cross-Over Hempharodite thing in a vehicle.

I did not think the 4.6 was availibile in it 07 Track just the 4.0 SOHC. The LS2 is typical crappy G/M but 400hp goes along way.

I'd go for the AWD LS2 if that is the size you want. If you need a SUV and want a SUV I'd go Chevy. Those guys are turing 12's with bolt on's and still towing 6800 with a class 3 hitch.

We got an 5.4 FX4 F-150 Super Crew (love it) instead. I am very very very peeved at Ford for the Lightning issue but, it is like some strange supernatural force prevents me from ever buying a G/M.

Good Luck

FstMach04
03-27-2006, 08:21 PM
Go with the Trailblazer. I personally think that GM has some pretty good motors, especially that LS2 sitting in there. And besides that fact, you'll still probably get better gas milage in the TB. One thing about Ford, especially in their trucks and SUV's, they don't get very good gas milage. Chevy beats them hands down in that field, no doubt. Dodge is, in my own comparison's, the worst on gas, that is comparing similar vehicles. That SS will surely be what you're looking for, and is probably best bang for your buck. And not to mention, they look SO good too!!!! (in my opinion, of course)

TX MACH 1
03-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Did you guys get rid of the Lightning??? Say it ain't so?!?!?!?!?! :eek:

jc

No, the L is staying put...

beerformeplz
03-28-2006, 12:22 AM
I drove the SS Trailblazer, WOW. I believe it has a 4 speed automatic and will flat out run. 30k sticker (base). Not bad.

98StangRidah
03-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Explain to me why you need an SUV? Cars do just fine and there's plenty of them that give you luxury and performance for that price. :)

JDraper
03-28-2006, 07:19 AM
Explain to me why you need an SUV? Cars do just fine and there's plenty of them that give you luxury and performance for that price. :)

Family space, cargo space and lotsa snow that requires 4wd in the winter.....If you don't have 4wd where I live, there are times you don't get out in the winter.

The Mach Says
03-28-2006, 08:30 AM

What we need is some type of 4-door family vehicle.........plus, something with hauling capability............Crew cab pickups are just WAY too big for me (I'm only 5'8; I look even more dwarfish); plus it will need to be something both me and the wife can drive, and she DOES NOT like crew cab pickups. She was OK with the Explorer Sporttrac (which by the way DOES come with a 4.6 for 2007 - someone up above questioned it), but she's in love with the looks and performance of the Trailblazer SS.

We're gonna go put some numbers together tonight on one they found for us thru the vehicle locator; it has all the options we want. We'll test drive one that they have on the lot............just for fun! :gears:

JC

ZincDude
03-28-2006, 08:41 AM
I bet the TBSS is nice.(for a Chevy) :??:

98StangRidah
03-28-2006, 11:14 AM
Family space, cargo space and lotsa snow that requires 4wd in the winter.....If you don't have 4wd where I live, there are times you don't get out in the winter.
I'm sure they have the same problem in Florida :D

What we need is some type of 4-door family vehicle.........plus, something with hauling capability............Crew cab pickups are just WAY too big for me (I'm only 5'8; I look even more dwarfish); plus it will need to be something both me and the wife can drive, and she DOES NOT like crew cab pickups. She was OK with the Explorer Sporttrac (which by the way DOES come with a 4.6 for 2007 - someone up above questioned it), but she's in love with the looks and performance of the Trailblazer SS.

We're gonna go put some numbers together tonight on one they found for us thru the vehicle locator; it has all the options we want. We'll test drive one that they have on the lot............just for fun! :gears:

JC
Cool, I was just curious. :)

GRB60
03-28-2006, 11:16 AM
Don't fear the dark side. I just recently crossed over for the family hauler. We got an '06 Suburban LT. Had too many problems with the '02 Explorer V8. After 72K miles, it's gone. The Suburban doesn't go, stop, or turn as well as the Explorer (of course it's bigger) but it sure is comfortable. The kids love it and the gas mileage is better than the Explorer got. Real world numbers have me getting over 15 in day to day driving. The Explorer was in the 14s. Gotta love HUGE rebates due to the new body style coming in the Suburbans, too.

Not, by any means, have I become a GM guy, though.

TJ4Cam
03-28-2006, 11:56 AM
You lose one to the darkside, but gain one to FoMoCo...My wife was always brought up GM :rolleyses but I have changed her whole outlook, she will be the proud new owner of a '06 Mercury Milan V6 Premium this week. :ORANGE:

dohc
03-28-2006, 12:03 PM
I will be geting a TBSS as soon as I unload a few vehicles, you just cant beat it for a family hot rod. The SRT8 is just too much $$$ and then youre in the "jeep" and "hemi" crowd.

Charles236
03-28-2006, 03:06 PM
I know the power of the darkside, I'm in it now. For many years, I only bought Chrysler products, but the Mach1 changed that. Seriously though, I would want to really do a thorough test drive of any vehicle I was considering, especially if it was a brand outside my usual purchasing habits. I prefer Chrysler products overall, but the Mach1 has no competition from Chrysler or GM, and it isn't too different in feel to what I'm used to. A GM product, on the other hand, has a completely different look and feel to it, and I don't feel comfortable in them. I'm not trying to knock the quality of GM's cars and trucks, I just find that they are too different for my tastes for me to buy one.

The Mach Says
05-11-2006, 11:56 PM
I haven't posted in a while, but we ended up getting the Trailblazer SS............had it for about 3 weeks now.

It's a great ride.............wonderful performance, GREAT looks, and super comfort w/luxury............Can't beat it for the money in this category.

Not as fast as either Mach 1, but not too far behind either...........All 3 cars are GREAT!!!

JC

04whtmch1
05-12-2006, 12:07 AM
Buy a Ford. Since you asked.

mmustangsrus
05-12-2006, 12:16 AM
I'd stick with the Sport Trac. There have been a LOT of issues with the Trailblazer and they're not rated very well. I'm not saying the Sport Trac is perfect, but it's a heckuva lot better than the Trailblazer. :agree: true & its still a G.M. (GENERAL MAINT.)

mmustangsrus
05-12-2006, 12:18 AM
I haven't posted in a while, but we ended up getting the Trailblazer SS............had it for about 3 weeks now.

It's a great ride.............wonderful performance, GREAT looks, and super comfort w/luxury............Can't beat it for the money in this category.

Not as fast as either Mach 1, but not too far behind either...........All 3 cars are GREAT!!!

JC :headbang: :smack: J/K :teeth:

04whtmch1
05-12-2006, 12:25 AM
gms always seem nice when they are new. But they still suck.

Brandon
05-12-2006, 03:21 PM
I like the new Trailblazers because my parents just bought an 05,...and ive seen videos of the trailblazer SS and it looks like a fun family cruiser ;)