PDA

View Full Version : Todays youth and a funny story

blown03Mach1
03-25-2006, 12:47 AM
Well I got off work tonight and headed to the local Wendy's as it is about midnight here. I order and pull up to the window and the young kid (about 17 yrs old) at the window sees my Mach and his jaw drops. He says " Man, what kind of car is that and did it come from the factory this way" (he was eye balling the shaker)? I told him " Yeah it came from the factory this way" Then he says what country is this car from? I had to bite my lip from laughing, then I proceeded to give this young man a brief history lesson on the Mach 1 Mustang. I tell him that the shaker moves with the engine (then show him) and tell him I am bearly 500hp. His reply "I think my car might have 120hp". I then proceed to leave thinking another ricer. Then I begin to think, is the Mach 1 heritage that foriegn to todays youth? As I thought about my answer for about the time it takes a spark to fire in a cylinder and think about his questioning, and decide. Yep, todays youth have no clue to the days of old in regards to muscle cars. I did not ask, but I am sure he could have told me the engine type in a civic.

Its a sad state!

prttychromekity
03-25-2006, 02:51 AM
I personally agree with that. I purchased my mach 1 when I was 19 but I had a general idea of the cars history and muscle car history over all. I grew up in a small town on a farm and my father always had gtos and such when he was younger so I had heard many many stories about cars from his day. :p Most of my friends my age and from my area, knew what the car was, but when I had it at a car show in a larger city people are my age and younger had no idea about the shaker or even what a mach 1 was. They mostly all were driving civics and cheap rice cars. Oh well guess it just all comes from how you are raised and how old you were when you saw the fast and the furious. LOL

mtm87tx
03-25-2006, 03:47 AM
hahah, this kid at wendys was eying my car to he had no idea anything about it. you have no idea HOW MANY people ask if i did all this stuff *aka shaker* myself. i dont think many people know what a "mach 1" is. heck the only reason i was even interested in this car was because the 1969 i went and test drove wasnt practical. so i figureed this was as close as i was going to get to my dream car, the 1969 Mach 1 with a 428

prttychromekity
03-25-2006, 05:15 AM
Lol guess wendys must not hire car people. :rolleyses

Tony Alonso
03-25-2006, 07:37 AM
Then I begin to think, is the Mach 1 heritage that foriegn to todays youth? As I thought about my answer for about the time it takes a spark to fire in a cylinder and think about his questioning, and decide. Yep, todays youth have no clue to the days of old in regards to muscle cars. I did not ask, but I am sure he could have told me the engine type in a civic.

Its a sad state!

What cars were coming to prominence 17 years ago? It makes perfect sense that he would not know.

When I bought my first car (Camaro IROC), I was 21 and did not much about its heritage. My father always had fullsize 4-door GM sedans. My dream cars at one point before the Camaro were the Ford EXP (http://www.fordexp.com/sections/flipbooks/Default.asp?Header=SalesAd&MediaType=Image&img=adv_Red82EXP) and Oldsmobile Starfire Firenza (http://monza.homestead.com/files/78BWStarfireFirenza.gif). They were smaller and sporty looking than what I was used to seeing in my family.

I was not aware of the full extent of Mustang's heritage until 1995, when I bought my first one ('94 GT). I was 30 at the time. However, I was eager enough to be a student, based on my time with the previous Camaro!

Perhaps you planted a seed. Rather than being a sad state, consider your encounter with him as a part of the learning process.

RnJstel
03-25-2006, 09:09 AM
What you dont know the secret Ricer greeting??

"hot apple pie with your order, sir?"

Plenty of kids love and appreciate real machines. They are usually the ones you find working as the prep kid at a dealership, sweeping the floors at a garage, at a parts store or some other job that requires skills.

blown03Mach1
03-25-2006, 01:59 PM
I appreciate that fact that the 69 Mach 1 debut long before his birth and he probably has never seen one, but one of most favorite cars is a 57 Nomad and that was 8 years prior to my birth.

I never did think about that I might have just turned a future ricer over to the Mustang or American iron with this encounter.

Now I feel better. Thanks!

Mach_Me
03-25-2006, 02:02 PM
My dad had 19 different muscle cars by the time he was 25. He will always see a car in a magazine or driving on the road and tell me he had it back in the day. I love hearing the street racing stories about him and his friends/brothers. He said his brother had a 67 vette that could wheelie like huge. His first car was a stang, a Boss 302, and I felt I needed to carry on the tradition and get a high performance stang. Lots of kids these days are into there stupid imports, but there are a select few who know there stuff. For instance at my school there is an automechanic program where you learn to take apart and mod and engine, and you learn about everything. I love pullin up to ricer and shakin the mach at him, and just burnin them.

ponygt65
03-25-2006, 02:34 PM
Although, he might have been clueless, look at the greatness in your 'experience'. He was interested in the car and wanted to know about it. I lOVE speaking/teaching people about the K-code. That is part of why I 'can't' ever get bored of it. Not alot of people are aware of it. If they have heard of a hipo 289, tehy dont' know much about them.

I also love 'teaching'. Too bad the calls for teachers are bad here in CA.

BLK03-MACH1
03-25-2006, 04:03 PM
I too had an intresting drive thru experience. Yes it was at Wendy's too. The kid looks at my car, the says in broken English "DAT on bad *** Mustang" and his buddy says "I got to gets on of those MF'in scoops on my car" I ask the guy which car was his.... The Civic...

ponygt65
03-25-2006, 04:10 PM
and his buddy says "I got to gets on of those MF'in scoops on my car" I ask the guy which car was his.... The Civic...
I dont' care who you are, that right there, is funny.

What an idiot. :crazy:

ScotNGin
03-25-2006, 05:51 PM
What cars were coming to prominence 17 years ago? It makes perfect sense that he would not know.

When I bought my first car (Camaro IROC), I was 21 and did not much about its heritage. My father always had fullsize 4-door GM sedans. My dream cars at one point before the Camaro were the Ford EXP (http://www.fordexp.com/sections/flipbooks/Default.asp?Header=SalesAd&MediaType=Image&img=adv_Red82EXP)

:hail1: The EXP, I had that car except in a champaign gold color. Great little work car.

socalmach
03-25-2006, 10:13 PM
Although, he might have been clueless, look at the greatness in your 'experience'. He was interested in the car and wanted to know about it. I lOVE speaking/teaching people about the K-code. That is part of why I 'can't' ever get bored of it. Not alot of people are aware of it. If they have heard of a hipo 289, tehy dont' know much about them.

I also love 'teaching'. Too bad the calls for teachers are bad here in CA.
+1 on this.
I've been asked if it(the shaker) was a s/c, does that have a HEMI :headbang: and also is that the NEW '05 :31: .
I love clueing people in.
On the other hand I've had people say "That is one bad@ss stang". :yes: They know what it is. It's not the MACH of old but still a MACH 1.
The more we educate the less sticker hp we have out there.