PDA

View Full Version : Performance intake manifold

Omega3002
05-31-2003, 06:37 AM
Hey, I'm new to here and a newbie when it comes to cars. But what do you guys think about a performance intake manifold. It might mean the end of the shaker scoop, but i need more power!

Jc'S MaCh 1
05-31-2003, 07:20 AM
There are so many options of power adders without adding an intake manifold. Who not jsut port and polish the one you presently have?

Jc

351c.i.d
05-31-2003, 04:12 PM
Check out Pauls High performance or mustang racing technologies, they sell an intake for the mach 1.

Skoozo
06-02-2003, 07:19 AM
I forget what they call it, but the ricer guys are having their stuff flowed out by blasting water and abrasive material through the intake/exhaust manifolds. It smooths out the surface on the inside like a port/polish job.

jbrad88
06-02-2003, 09:50 AM
I believe you mean EXTRUDE HONING...

viable process. Expensive, but it works. Assuming of course you are suffering a restriction in the intake...

falcongtho3
06-02-2003, 09:58 AM
Errr...would this be a bad time to mention that SVT uses the Extrude Honing method for the Cobra manifolds, they started in '99 to rectify the Cobra HP debacle.

FL Mach 1
06-02-2003, 10:46 AM
Muscle car guys have been using extrude honing for quite a while now. I know guys that were extrude honing intakes for carbed motors when I was in high school. Still pretty expensive but it meant having a shaker or not I would extrude hone.

jbrad88
06-02-2003, 12:31 PM
I thought the extrude hone process on the 1999 cobras' was part of the "fix".

I was not aware that it was done on the regular production intakes.

I have known a few people who have done this process. I had a friend in Mesquite Tx who did this with his cast cobra intake for his 1993 cobra.

he liked it, although, even with all that extensive and expensive work he was never able to run better et's than my coupe with my little old gt-40 iron heads and tubular intake. :)

Joe
06-03-2003, 04:15 AM
Ford Racing is going to, or just has released a whole new intake for the 32 v motors. It has variable lenght runners. As the rpm's change the runner lenght is adjusted somehow. I haven't seen any reviews or tests on the thing yet, but i would be willing to bet that it will have a good increase for our cars. I have also seen that extrude honing the heads increses flow quite a bit. There's always cams also......from Modmax, Andersonford.......

Dont take off the shaker......is my feeling....might as well get an 2001 cobra or a Gt.

Joe

dock44
06-03-2003, 04:42 AM
Are these the so called "Z" heads from Ford Racing? I thumbed through a couple of mags at the grocery store who had done some testing with them, may have even bought one(mag).....can't remember. I'll check when I get home.

starscream
06-03-2003, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by Joe
Ford Racing is going to, or just has released a whole new intake for the 32 v motors. It has variable lenght runners. As the rpm's change the runner lenght is adjusted somehow. I haven't seen any reviews or tests on the thing yet, but i would be willing to bet that it will have a good increase for our cars. I have also seen that extrude honing the heads increses flow quite a bit. There's always cams also......from Modmax, Andersonford.......

Dont take off the shaker......is my feeling....might as well get an 2001 cobra or a Gt.

Joe

This is the FR500 intake they are finally making available. On the Cobra Competition they had this on and made about 380 HP, but I don't know what other mods were on there offhand.

By the way, it costs about $2800.

starscream
06-03-2003, 05:05 AM
Originally posted by dock44
Are these the so called "Z" heads from Ford Racing? I thumbed through a couple of mags at the grocery store who had done some testing with them, may have even bought one(mag).....can't remember. I'll check when I get home.

Nope, I'm pretty sure those Z heads are for 5.0s, 351s, 429s, this is a 4.6L intake.

Joe
06-03-2003, 11:33 PM
You got it, the z heads are for the pushrod engines, and the intake I was mentioning is the one developed for the FR 500 like starscream said. I've heard and seen various prices but in the latest issue of 5.0 they said it would be about $2500. I think that price includes some extra stuff too, like a maf and maybe a throttle body.

I hadn't heard that it produced 380 hp on the FR 500. I might look into that. they did have different cams on the FR 500 also that can be purchased from FRPP.

See ya

Joe:COOL:

starscream
06-04-2003, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by Joe

I hadn't heard that it produced 380 hp on the FR 500. I might look into that. they did have different cams on the FR 500 also that can be purchased from FRPP.

See ya

Joe:COOL:

Nah not the FR500, the Cobra Competition is where I was talking about 380HP. That was a prototype that was featured in the July 2000 issue of Motor Trend. It's red and white if you've ever seen it.

Anyway, it had the FR500 intake and made 380HP@6750 RPM and 350 lb-ft of torque. I referenced that one because I believe that engine was pretty much a 99 Cobra engine with little mods and would probably be closer to ours than the engine used in the FR500, which was a spray-bore 5.0L which like you said had different cams and I think different heads too. I'm pretty sure that made over 400HP.

One key difference though, is the new intake has only one inlet. The original FR500 intake used dual 80mm throttle bodies. The second intake ran on the other side of the engine to battery location, which was moved to the trunk. I hope going from two to one doesn't hurt much.

The only place I've seen one for sale so far is Kenny Brown and that's $2895 and doesn't include the extras. :( Add in the FR500 heads and cams and it's close to $6000 total without injectors, MAF, or computer. That's waaaaay out of most people's price range for sure.

http://www.kennybrown.com/Motorsportsengines.htm

Joe
06-04-2003, 04:19 AM
Now I know what you're talking about. I remember the dual maf intake on that one. I think in that same article they had the blue stang with the lighting motor in it?. Anyways, I had just bought my 2000 GT before that article. I think if we can just hold on this year, there will be some good intakes for the Mach like the one we've been talking about.

Joe

starscream
06-04-2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Joe
Now I know what you're talking about. I remember the dual maf intake on that one. I think in that same article they had the blue stang with the lighting motor in it?.

That is the one! :)