PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the XX VIN codes?

qtrhorse
09-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Just as posted. I'm wondering whatever happened about the XX being an easily identifiable part of the Mach1 VIN code.

I recently recieved a new My Ford magazine. On the inside above my name and address is a VIN with the XX designator in it. It does not conform to the VIN's posted on other threads in this forum and is not a 300000 number. Also, my dealer says he does not have any infromation on my VIN. I ordered in June and am anxiously waiting as the rest of us are.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation?

Five Oh B
09-23-2002, 08:31 PM
I've never heard of an XX VIN # for Mach 1's; it's always been R for the engine digit in the VIN (the 8th digit).

It is possible to have an XX in the 8th & 9th spot of a Mustang GT, as X is the engine code for the 4.6L SOHC 260hp engine, and the 9th digit of a VIN is a check digit that has to be either a # (0-9), or an X, so 1 out of 11 GT's has an XX in the VIN.

Another possibility for an XX (in any vehicle) would be the 9th & 10th spot. 9th being the check digit as mentioned above, and an X in the 10th spot for any vehicle built in 1999 (X was the year code in 1999 for all manufacturers - not just Ford).

qtrhorse
09-24-2002, 12:26 AM
I remembered reading somewhere (unfortunately I'm not sure where) that the Mach1 would be able to be distinguished from the GT Mustang by a code for the engine in the VIN which is exactly as you say. But for some reason the XX was the designator that I read. Somehow the VIN I'm talking about managed to come out exactly that way in this magazine that I recieved from Ford.The VIN shown in the magazine is

1FAFP42XX1F198753

That number doesn't look like anything I've seen posted thus far and makes me wonder if it is a valid VIN.

Thanks for the response

Five Oh B
09-24-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by qtrhorse
The VIN shown in the magazine is

1FAFP42XX1F198753

That number doesn't look like anything I've seen posted thus far and makes me wonder if it is a valid VIN.

Thanks for the response
The Vin you listed above is for a 2001 Mustang GT Coupe with the 260hp 4.6L SOHC V8.