PDA

View Full Version : Problems Getting an Mach I

BFVTHOKIE
09-23-2002, 05:09 PM
Hey everyone, I am having some issues getting a Mach I. Got a call from my dealer today saying they have only been allocated 1 vehicle, as well as all other dealerships in their region (I am #4 for their dealership, which is very close to Philadelphia). So therefore if they do not receive any further allocations I will not get a vehicle. I then called several other dealerships, and the regional representative who's number I was given by my saleman- he confirmed this information and did not know if any further allocations would be given. I am currently in Virginia in the Roanoke area (yes, I still buy cars from a dealership 500 miles away in NJ) and I went around today to various dealerships. The story was all the same- they will put me in the computer, but they only have 1 Mach I being allocated to them, or they don't even know anything about the Mach I. Can someone please help. It seems like you all "Have your VIN numbers" and "Have your build dates" and "guarantees you will get your car". While I am getting the same consistant "we can put you in the computer, but still have to get allocated the vehicle" (I started this process in early June, so no- it's not like I have waited this late to get started. I have been in contact with 17 (yes 17) dealerships, ranging from the one I am great friends with the owner at in NJ, to dealers in NY, PA, VA, NC, and FL. Keep getting the same answer- very confused. Even ford themselves won't tell me what the limit on Mach I's is. The regional Rep said 1 per dealer in the US thus far, Ford customer service said "it depends on demand, but it will be limited based on number of mustangs the dealership normally sells" and other places have said 6500 or 8000. I am lost, please help- and feel free to e-mail me.

Mikestang
09-23-2002, 07:07 PM
I dont get it so in june for one reason or another no dealerships would order your car ??

BFVTHOKIE
09-23-2002, 08:56 PM
Basically, "There is no reason to enter it into the computer until we receive an allocation amount, because if we do not receive enough allocated to us, your car will never get built. So we are keeping a waiting list, and as we get the vehicles allocated to us, we will place the order for you"

Also, according the the regional representative from ford (for around Philadelphia). "The dealers within our region are currently only being allocated one vehicle to fulfill orders, I am sure Pete will let you know if that changes or if more allocations are given"

I would say "it's BS" but the family of dealerships owner, the dealership manager, and the sales manager- are all personal friends of ours and have really gone out of there way to find out what they can and give me some no ******** answers.

Everyone on here is like "I have a DORA, it means I'm definately getting my car...etc". But if a dealership is only allocated one car, regardless of how many orders are in the computer- they can't sell like 5. So I just want to know whatsup, and what is going on- and somehow get my Mach I.

FL Mach 1
09-23-2002, 09:07 PM
BF,

It sounds like they are at least being straight up with you. better than taking your order and you thinking you have a car and come sometime in 03 they tell you they didn't get enough allocated to them. I know that I will catch heat for this but I really wish that Ford would make more than 6500 of these cars. The interest is out there. I just think that the original Mach 1 wasn't a limited production it was different package for the Mustang. I can understand the guys that want the prestige of owning a limited production car. Me I just want a kick *** Mustang myself.

Good luck on get a Mach. Like I said at least they are being pretty straight with you.

Your not a Virginia Tech fan are you?:(

Mikestang
09-23-2002, 09:18 PM
Well from my understanding the customers that orderd there cars will get there cars the allocations are going to be for stock units.
if any are left.

The first dealer i went to told me they could not order a mach this was typicle of many dealerships. so many never orderd one for any one.

there was a vid on the net of the mach1 and the intercepter at the ny auto show the guy said this is a special car that will be special order only.

I really have a hard time beliving ford is not going to fill a customer order providing they got it in before the line was sold out and just tell a dealership yup hear is your mach take it.

if this was the case why would they allow orders in the first place to determind options like the interior uprade and color selection.

ford should at least at this point call up the remaining customers that were 2nd or 3rd at the dealer and give them back there depoiste and tell them to get on with life.

i think if that was the case they would face a major lawsuit for taking depoistes on cars for customers orders that they never intended on filling hey any one remeber a tucker ???

BFVTHOKIE
09-23-2002, 09:39 PM
Actually, their rep contacted them, alerted them to the fact that they had 1 car being allocated to them and they could either take a random allocation or place a customer order. They placed a customer order for what the customer wanted.

My personal belief is ford might be doing this to hype up the car. Does Ford state anywhere in their own literature exactly how many cars will be built?

Also, it seems like each dealership is getting one car thus far. How many ford dealerships are in the US?

And yes, I am a Virginia Tech fan. I'm actually a student, buying the Mach for myself as a graduation present :THUMBSUP:

Mikestang
09-23-2002, 09:43 PM
about 4500 form what i gather

BFVTHOKIE
09-23-2002, 09:46 PM
Ok, so if 6500 will be made total, 500 for Canada, and each dealer in the US gets one for dealer stock. That leaves 1500 for customer orders... Last time I checked, there were more customer orders then that. So if ford is only making 6500 cars, but is fulfilling every customer order...something has got to give there.

I'm not trying to stir up controversy or anything. Heck, if you are positive you have a Mach I in your name, congratulations... Just saying some of the generally accepted info has got to be incorrect.

Mikestang
09-23-2002, 09:50 PM
some dealerships are not going to want this car I know a ford dealer that only will order mustangs and will keep one or two V6 on the lot his bread and butter is trucks and SUVs he is in farm country so i belive customers will get there cars.

Mikestang
09-23-2002, 09:54 PM
also if they up the number oh well i would rather hear they are going to make 8000 which is still low low and everyone get there ddream car than have them make 6500 and allot of good folks get screwed out of there dreams

BFVTHOKIE
09-23-2002, 09:55 PM
Agreed... But if the cars this hot, won't most dealers take it- then trade it off to another dealership for a profit?

Mustang Matt
09-23-2002, 09:57 PM
My salesman said they buy some from other dealers if they had to.

Mikestang
09-23-2002, 09:57 PM
well anything is possible and no one knows for sure wich seems to be the theme that ford wants....... I do think they are trying to hype the cars up.

Tomcat427
09-23-2002, 10:35 PM
I would not want Ford to make more than the 6500 Mach 1's this year. They have said all along the production would be 6500.

I would LOVE to see it added to next year with maybe an 8000-10000 production run.

Mach 1's for everybody, after this year!

Mach Won
09-23-2002, 10:38 PM
I dont know i think would be all sold out by now,but keep in mind that if you were to order now, you probalally would get the car until later in the model as a guess, by then if you wait a few more months you might be able to get a slightly used one at a great price

Mach Won
09-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by Tomcat427
I would not want Ford to make more than the 6500 Mach 1's this year. They have said all along the production would be 6500.

I would LOVE to see it added to next year with maybe an 8000-10000 production run.

Mach 1's for everybody, after this year!

If that happens say good-bye our resale value when you want to trade in for the new body in spring-summer 04

Mustang Matt
09-23-2002, 10:42 PM
yup, it doesn't matter if they increase production or do a second run.It will cause the resale values to fall.
But I don't see them going over the 1 time run of 6,500.

03MachforMe
09-23-2002, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Mikestang
also if they up the number oh well i would rather hear they are going to make 8000 which is still low low and everyone get there ddream car than have them make 6500 and allot of good folks get screwed out of there dreams

You mean if Ford builds 8000 Mach 1's I'll get a white 1988 1/2 Lamborghini Countach 5000s?!?!? Fire up the line, boys! :SMASH: :SMASH: :SMASH: :SMASH: :LAUGH: :LAUGH:

BFVTHOKIE
09-23-2002, 10:44 PM
Where has Ford corporate said they are making 6500 cars (just wondering). Is it on the website or something? I called there 800# and they had no clue on the actual production.

Mustang Matt
09-23-2002, 10:46 PM
They have it on their website and the press releases they give out.

03MachforMe
09-23-2002, 10:46 PM
Flame away, folks, but I gotta say it.

A build of 'only' 6500 units will not keep resale values from falling. It will only keep it from falling AS MUCH as a 'regular' example.

I seriously hope nobody is buying a Mach 1 as an investment. If so, I got some nice land I'll hook you up with. :rolleyes:

Mustang Matt
09-23-2002, 10:51 PM
Sorry,
I looked on their site and everything has been changed,so I don't know where to stand on this!
The stats for the Mach 1 are very incorrect!

BFVTHOKIE
09-23-2002, 10:59 PM
Something else regarding collectors cars (and the Mach I being an investment)...

I restore classics my list includes:

55' Thunderbird
64' Impala Convertible
66' GTO
69' Corvette
75' Corvette
78' Camaro (drag car)

One thing NONE of these cars have is complex computers controlling the transmissions, engines, and many other functions of the vehicle. Heck- ABS itself is a rather computer intensive system and that's just braking. I can't imagine being able to find "replacement 2003 Mach I computers" 40 years from now (maybe something that will get the job done, but it definately won't be "factory stock").

Just something to think about. Not saying it won't happen- but don't expect it to end up like a 57' Thunderbird or something. It's just too complicated a vehicle.

:MADNOEL:

Mach Won
09-23-2002, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by 03MachforMe
Flame away, folks, but I gotta say it.

A build of 'only' 6500 units will not keep resale values from falling. It will only keep it from falling AS MUCH as a 'regular' example.

I seriously hope nobody is buying a Mach 1 as an investment. If so, I got some nice land I'll hook you up with. :rolleyes:

For me its Resale NOT Investment. If i decide to trade in for the new body in a year or two i wont loose as much as a regular gt or more produced car, thats all.
In my opinion modern cars will never see the values of the old cars,because people think of them as investments and care for them somewhat.The old cars when they were old got junked,restoration wasnt big.Now its a huge industry in itself.You would see shelbys rotting fields,nowadays you wont see nearly as many buick grand nationals rotting away, b/c know what they are,what there worth and that they are not on every corner.

FL Mach 1
09-23-2002, 11:49 PM
BF.

I figured you were a Hokie, given you screenname. Big Syracuse fan here, see ya in the dome this year. I think that there might end up being a bunch of dealers that won't get any Mach 1s because they don't know. How many of us had to "educater" our dealers about the Mach 1. I know that I did. I just think that there are some dealers that order any.

j2003mach1
09-24-2002, 09:34 AM
my dealer said today that three dealerships had sales meetings and that they were all cancelling orders and just dont know what else. he also emailed me with this statement

Jason,We are going to be reciving 3 of these cars.The pricing has not been determined.They tell me they will priced at least 5000 over msrp.They are supposed to be very limited.Thanks

I am not real happy with ford right now but hey i guess I still get a laugh or two when i read some of these threads:SMASH: :HOPPY:

Mikestang
09-24-2002, 10:07 AM
no matter how "hot" a car is no one will pay 5 k over if that was the case they would be the cobra which is not limeted and easyer to come by.

Mustang Matt
09-24-2002, 10:12 AM
yeah they're selling Cobra's at my dealership for 5,000 over sticker and they still keep them in stock.

shaggy
09-24-2002, 09:36 PM
I went to check out the Living Legends Tour at Earnhardts Ford (supposedly one of the biggest Ford dealers in US) in Tempe, Az yesterday and they're asking MSRP+6000!!! for Cobras and +6000 for Rousch stage 2's. What a rip off. I'm glad I didn't order my Mach 1 through them.

my03mach1
09-24-2002, 10:46 PM
TALKED TO MY DEALER TODAY (WHO HAD LUNCH WITH THE FORD REP YESTERDAY) WAS TOLD THAT THIER DEALERSHIP WAS GETTING 1 MACH 1 ONLY, THANK GOD IT'S MY TORCH RED ONE. HE WAS ALSO TOLD THAT THEY WOULD BE ABLE TO GET ANOTHER ONE PERIOD. FIRST RUN WAS TO GET A FEW CARS OUT ALL AROUND THE US AND GO INTO PRODUCTION TO FILL THE REST OF THE ORDERS. HE WAS TOLD I SHOULD SEE MY SOMETIME IN LATE NOV. OR BEGINING OF DEC. SEEMS LIKE A LONG TIME TO WAIT WHEN I ORDERED IT IN JUNE, BUT AM WILLING TO WAIT. WAS ALSO TLOD THAT VERY FEW DEALERS WOULD GET MORE THEN ONE MACH SEEING THAT THERE IS 5,600 DEALERS.

AZDave
09-24-2002, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by shaggy
I went to check out the Living Legends Tour at Earnhardts Ford (supposedly one of the biggest Ford dealers in US) in Tempe, Az yesterday and they're asking MSRP+6000!!! for Cobras and +6000 for Rousch stage 2's. What a rip off. I'm glad I didn't order my Mach 1 through them.

I bought an Expedition from them a few years back.
Not a great experience. Shaggy, I think we bought from an honest dealer. I trust 'em to perform. Have you checked with them on status lately?

shaggy
09-25-2002, 12:23 AM
I talked to my salesman last thursday to ask if I had gotten a VIN yet. He said he'd call me right back, so about 1.5 hrs later he called. He told me that I stirred up a hornet's nest and that he'd gone WAY up the chain of command and talked to about 15 people. Anyway, he did'nt give me a VIN, but said that I was still #1 for them and said that I was scheduled for build the 3rd week of October. I sort of questioned this saying that many people already had VINs and were scheduled for week of 10/7. He really didn't have an answer. I've been hesitant to post this because we 've all heard some pretty weird dealer stories and I didn't want to add fuel to the fire. I'm one of those who went there in early June to order and had to educate them about the Mach 1. At 1st they thought I was trying to order a GT 40:CHEERS: (I wish), but they ended up calling me in early July when they got some info from HQ. I'm gonna swing by there on Saturday when the tour hits them to try and get some better answers and hopefully a VIN. Sorry for the STANGRAY like post :LAUGH: . How's the status of yours? Hear anything?

AZDave
09-25-2002, 12:29 AM
No, I don't know anything more. I was told that I might see mine come in in January or February. Just a guess on their part. I was also told that they will not accept any more orders. It bolsters my faith in these guys, not taking money for something they might not be able to deliver.

shaggy
09-25-2002, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by AZDave
No, I don't know anything more. I was told that I might see mine come in in January or February. Just a guess on their part. I was also told that they will not accept any more orders. It bolsters my faith in these guys, not taking money for something they might not be able to deliver.

Sorry to hear no new info. My salesman guesstimated about mid/late november or early december for me. If so i'll let you look at it if your nice :LAUGH: :LAUGH: . Where do you live around? I'm at Frank LLoyd and Shea.

AZDave
09-25-2002, 12:44 AM
Can I drive it too?? Huh...can I?? Pleeeese? :)
I'm at Scottsdale / Thompson Peak
Do you ever visit Pavillions on Sat. nights?
I might be there this Sat in my '66.

socalmach1
09-25-2002, 12:55 AM
Let me get this straight, are you people saying Ford is only going to give each dealer (1) Mach 1 in the begining and then desperse
the rest after each dealer gets one?:(

shaggy
09-25-2002, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by AZDave
Can I drive it too?? Huh...can I?? Pleeeese? :)
I'm at Scottsdale / Thompson Peak
Do you ever visit Pavillions on Sat. nights?
I might be there this Sat in my '66.

Maybe, but it will be my baby. My folks live up there!!! I just got my mom to buy an 03 expedition from Grubb hoping that they'll be nice to me on my trade for sending them business:LAUGH: . They live in Sonoran Hills/Arroyo Canyon north and across from the new school on Williams. I usually go up there about every other weekend. Nice neighborhood up there. I haven't been to The Pavillions yet and was kinda waiting till I got the new ride, but if you see a bright red, loud 01 GT, that be me.

Bart
09-25-2002, 01:05 AM
Shaggy,

I'd be a bit skeptical based on what you said.

First off, it's my understanding that if a dealer has a DORA, it's pretty easy to check for a a VIN. The dealer ordering person can usually check in a few minutes. I've personally seen it done and no one needs to go up the chain thru 15 people. It's no big deal.

Second, without a VIN, any guess about a build date would seem as just that.

On the other hand, maybe that have a VIN and he didn't know it. So the rest might just fall into place. The dealer may be trying hard to help and your question finally got them moving. I'd keep asking questions in a calm but determined manner.

Good luck, plz keep us posted.:)

socalmach1
09-25-2002, 01:32 AM
Is it impossible to go farther out to get the car you want?

AZDave
09-25-2002, 12:57 PM
shaggy
Originally posted by shaggy

My folks live up there!!! ... if you see a bright red, loud 01 GT, that be me.

I'm in Grayhawk, have friends in your folks neighborhood. Yeah, its nice and peaceful up here.
If you see a red '66 convertible dressed like a GT350, stop and say hi.