PDA

View Full Version : Love Bug repellent?

Mach Dawg
05-24-2003, 10:47 AM
I have heard many folks tell me that Pam cooking spray will help keep the love bugs off your cars paint without harming it.
I trust you guys more if you tell me that's a crock.
I am a fanatic about my new Mach & don't want to fudge it up in anyway.
Is it true?
And does it work?
If yes do I just use plain Pam & how often?
I will only put it on the bumper anyway.
I want to do a clear-guard or something later but, money is tight for awhile.

Thanks!

falcongtho3
05-24-2003, 08:36 PM
I've heard that as well. But I've also heard all you get is a messy front end. My solution is to just wash the thing whenever there are dead bugs on the car. That's a lot of washing down here, but it has been the only thing that really seems to work, short of a front bra.

305PNYS
05-25-2003, 12:34 AM
Here's what I do for my bugs. I bought those big grey waffle-weave microfiber towels, and I soak one in the car wash solution and then lay them over the bugs while I wash the rest of the car. Then I rinse the bugs, and scrub whatever doesn't come of with a small microfiber rag. Those microfibers are great because you can scrub a little harder without scratching!

Cheryl
http://www.microfibertech.com/index.html

P.S. Are you talking about those little black and red bugs that cover everything for a while while they mate in air??? I remember those from when I spent the summer in Fla. when I was a kid.

Mach Dawg
05-25-2003, 04:02 AM
Those are the bugs I am talking about.
They are about to be here soon & won't leave for about 5 months or so.
They are killer on your paint.
I believe they have an acid in their bodies that will corrode your paint if you don't clean them off soon after they splatter.
I have heard soaking them with a baking soda/water soloution as well. Similar to how you would clean battery terminals.
I have a decent coat of wax on now, but just trying not to kill myself keeping them away.

:cool:

lk2drvmach1
06-04-2003, 03:59 AM
Yup, those f#$%'n love bugs are a pain in the a$$!! I used to use a bra on my '89 LX to keep the bugs off the front end. After I got the mach I clayed, polished and protected it with the blackfire products from classic motoring accessories. Ever since then I notice that any foriegn object (bugs, bird bombs, etc...) that get on the paint comes off with zero effort. The love bugs on the front will swipe off with just my finger...it's pretty amazing. So, I'm hoping that having a good protectant will not only protect the paint but also continue to make it easy to remove the bugs.

Classic Motoring Accessories (http://www.properautocare.com/blackfire.html)

Rob

BlueHorse
06-04-2003, 04:20 AM
Those lovebugs are attracted to the exhaust [aphrodisiac to them] which is why they like to gather along the highway. My suggestion is to wax your car once every month or two and the bugs [and anything else] will easily wash off. I have proof that it works because the original paint on my '71 still looks good.

As far as Pam or similar product, I think that it is oil that may not be good for the paint over a long period. Otherwise, wouldn't they be selling it as such?

Good Luck

Mach Dawg
06-04-2003, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the tips everybody.
I had planned to just keep a coat of wax on there for now.
I may do the Clear-Guard thing. Still trying to decide. 3M is out of the question as the closest dealer to me stinks at window tint, so he sure ain't gonna touch my Mach!
If I do it I think I will only do the bumper since it seems to catch the most grief.
I figure Pam is for cooking...not cars, but just wandered if anybody had heard it/tried it & what were the results.
I still probably would not do it but had to ask!
Thanks everybody!
This site is extremely helpful.
:COOL:

VANILLAMACHSHAKE
01-27-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Mach Dawg
I have heard many folks tell me that Pam cooking spray will help keep the love bugs off your cars paint without harming it.
I trust you guys more if you tell me that's a crock.
I am a fanatic about my new Mach & don't want to fudge it up in anyway.
Is it true?
And does it work?
If yes do I just use plain Pam & how often?
I will only put it on the bumper anyway.
I want to do a clear-guard or something later but, money is tight for awhile.

Thanks!

NO NO NO, dare I say "NO Pam", it will not work, and it may screw up your paint, My unckle had to repaint his hood after using Pam:frown:

wolverine81
02-02-2004, 05:43 PM
Mach Dawg what are you doing about your shaker with all the bugs. That thing is gonna suck bugs in like a vaccum. I was wondering this morning myself on the way home from work what I was gonna do about mine. We don't have many bugs here yet, but once it gets a little warmer they will be thick and we get love bugs too, just later in the year. I was thinking of maybe covering the hole on the shaker when I am on the highway. If not I don't know how I'm gonna cleans those dang bugs out of my shaker. Anyone have any ideas?

Horseplay92
02-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Teflon spray. They sell it at Auto Zone. Black Magic Paint protector works well. You spray it on and then wipe it off. It works almost like rain x for your paint. It makes the paint real slick so dirt and bugs come off easier. We used it in High School on the hoods of our beaters so we could hood slide like the Duke boys. I don,t know about love bugs but it works good on Ohio mesquitos.

Totoland Mach
02-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Move here...no love bugs (and not too much mileage put on the Mach as well)

FMX1
02-05-2004, 06:12 PM
Everytime I see a picture from you there snow in it . Doesn't that stuff ever melt?

Mach Dawg, a bra is a cheap investment to keep the love bug juices off your paint. Next best thing to do is just keep her clean and apply a good quality wax.

No Control
02-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Love bugs are cool. I miss them since moving to Cali...

mommyw/mach
02-10-2004, 04:33 PM
I would give it a couple good coats of wax and just use a quik detailer mist/spray at the end of the day.

GaPonyFarm
02-22-2004, 04:30 PM
Use can use Burnout Guard anywhere on your car. It puts a clear coating on your car and just washes off with water. If you race, use it on the lower qtr panels and the rubber rinses right off... I think it might be a good solution for when those bugs are at their worst... I get mine at Mustangs Unlimited (about 7.95 a bottle)

1badstang
03-07-2004, 05:02 PM
make sure you don't leave bugs on the front end and hood, when I bought my old v6, they left bugs on the front of the bumper and on the hood... I got em off alright after the paint chipped off as soon as they come off, there a bunch of little bastards escpecially if they dry on

badappl
03-08-2004, 02:10 PM
I know a lot of folks here dont like the bra on our MACHS but when I removed mine from going on a 150 mile trip last Sun. (It was warm and the bugs are out here) my bra looked like a science project for entimologists. The bra really saved the paint and the worst is yet to come.
It would seem to me (MHO) that the areodynamics of our cars would keep most, if not all of the bugs from entering our shakers but that remains to be seen:)

Hoov
03-20-2004, 11:36 PM
I hate to use the name here but Honda makes a product called "Spray Cleaner and Polish" that works really well at getting the bugs off.
Hoov

batman13
03-27-2004, 09:09 AM
I was looking and thought since the summer is coming maybe it is time to revist this issue. I have used Pam before with no ill affects. I use it on very lomg trips and wash it as soon as I get there. As long as you get it off once you arrive you'll be OK. If you spray it on and do not remove it then you'll have issues. I also like the other ideas on here as well. Nothing takes car of the car like a good washing and waxing! I haven't had the problem with bugs in my shaker yet (knock on wood). I would imagine that some good ole soap and water would be the best.